Possible replacement chassis for Class 31

Downer

I had the call from Hornby and sent my green D5512 off to them on 22nd June. It was duly returned last week with a replacement chassis, and runs like a dream. I know it took some time to resolve, but my thanks go to Hornby for sorting it out eventually.

Paul.

Hi All,

I have a R2420 in green. Its sat in the box since I bought it waiting for the layout to get built. It had no use other than a quick test run. There is also currently no cracks. Is all R2420's at risk of cracking or only a batch of them? Do the cracks appear after some use or when it gets warm?

Regards

Paul

Hi All,

I have a R2420 in green. Its sat in the box since I bought it waiting for the layout to get built. It had no use other than a quick test run. There is also currently no cracks. Is all R2420's at risk of cracking or only a batch of them? Do the cracks appear after some use or when it gets warm?

Regards

Paul

Doesnt need running or anything, it should have cracked or be cracking while in the box. Might be worth taking the top off and seeing if it falls apart, the chassis on mine was pretty brittle by the time I sent it off. Note the Bachmann N class elsewhere that someone recently got out of a box and discovered had gone this way!

I don't think we ever narrowed down on here if it was certain batches or possibly al of them in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I rang Hornby up on monday and was told to send my model down to them, it cost £6.70 special delivery.

They told me that they wheren't replacing the Dutch version at this time and that it would be possibly as long as 56 day before it would be returned.

Just a thought though, if the cab ends are cracked and the chassis is drooping surely it's just a replacement loco rather than trying to repair an already flawed model?

Please don't attack me if this is stating the obvious!

Ian

Update,

A man in a red van was hammering at my door this morning at 0720, I was at work but my wife went and found a box from Hornby, It contains the box with a new 31268 (mine was 31270!) so one omnth almost to the day, thanks Horby.

Ian

Ooh, I sent mine on the 19th so hopefully mine will be back soon too then!

Just got my two back this morning. They went as D5512 and came back as D5511...smile.gif

No complaints though as they have fitted two new chassis and two new bodies and sent the old ones back for me to play with. They'll be great for weathering practice...

Gordon, I'm really not following you around!

I was just looking at D5511 at Hattons (it reminds me of my mispent youth in Essex). It's listed as "NEW" as in new product does this mean these have new chassis? How good is 5511, Gordon? Or anyone else.....

Cheers, Pete.

Sorry Pete, I can't answer your question. The two loco that have been returned run like a dream. I was surprised they came back with different running numbers and I have thought about putting back one of the D5511 bodies.

I've always liked the '31's as they remind me of my youth and London surburban lines north of the Thames. I know there has been talk of failings in the shape of the Hornby model, but compared to my memories of them, they look OK......but that was nearly 40 years ago.wink.gif

Gordon, I'm really not following you around!

I was just looking at D5511 at Hattons (it reminds me of my mispent youth in Essex). It's listed as "NEW" as in new product does this mean these have new chassis? How good is 5511, Gordon? Or anyone else.....

Cheers, Pete.

Pete,

If there is an 'a' after the Hornby catalogue number, then its a new model, i.e.not old stock with a dodgey chassis.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Received my 31 from Hornby with a new chassis and body, two new cab partions were also fitted. Hornby salvaged the bogies but all other fittings are new. I was pleasantly suprised to receive the new body as the 31270 was undamaged and all within four weeks. Well done Hornby.

Mike

Anyone re-wheeled the new chassis to P4? Is it easy to do?

Best, Pete.

The bogies are mostly being salvaged off the original chassis anyway so there is no difference in that area. I didn't send P4 wheels back with mine though obviously as that might have confused their ability to test it!

Mine was received on the 20th July at Hornby and is still 'in progress' as I checked today.

Yes they don't seem to be operating first in first out on the repairs though it might be worth chasing just in case. I have meant to check on mine as its been over 5 weeks now too.

When they first called them in, Hornby Customer Service were quoting at least 56 days to have them returned. I think they are having to do them at the same time as doing all the usual repairs. When you think about all that has to be taken out of one chassis and transferred into the other, I guess it isn't a quick process!

• RMweb Gold

I sent mine off to Hornby on the 7th July. Called them last month and they said they were waiting for a new shipment of spares from China and that I could expect my loco to be completed and returned by the middle of September. But mine was returned today and all looks fine. It has a new body (D5511) as one of the screw holes on the D5512 body had also broken off but I'm quite happy with that. The D5512 body was returned in the box. Given the loco is nearly 3 years old I'm really pleased with Hornby service - many other retailers can too easily say "out of warranty" and bill you for it...

Posted my 31 270 on the 9th of July. Just arrived back today all sorted with a new 31 268 body, which is better as it has the body side band which was missing on 270.

I hope Hornby don't have any further problems. Repairing all these loco's must be an expensive job.

I am am a very happy customer. Try taking something over 12 months old to an electrical retailer and see what sort of response you would get.

David

Posted my 31 270 on the 9th of July. Just arrived back today all sorted with a new 31 268 body, which is better as it has the body side band which was missing on 270.

I hope Hornby don't have any further problems. Repairing all these loco's must be an expensive job.

I am am a very happy customer. Try taking something over 12 months old to an electrical retailer and see what sort of response you would get.

David

Do you realy think Hornby made these models, seem to think they are made in a factory in china owned by by XXX who also make for XXX so if the fault was by the maker not the designer I think it will be XXX who has copped for the cost, maybe thats been the delay getting the maker to accept they are responsable

Do you realy think Hornby made these models, ...

Where does he say that, thenscratch_one-s_head_mini.gif

David

Do you realy think Hornby made these models, seem to think they are made in a factory in china owned by by XXX who also make for XXX so if the fault was by the maker not the designer I think it will be XXX who has copped for the cost, maybe thats been the delay getting the maker to accept they are responsable

Yes your probably correct, but that's not my concern.

Just happy that the issue has been sorted.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Posted mine off in July and it arrived back last Saturday (11th). It has taken approx 8 weeks, when I contacted Hornby a couple of weeks ago I was informed that they were awaiting delivery of extra parts from China. When it arrived back it had a new Chassis, new body, detailing parts pack and the old body wrapped in bubble wrap. only noticable change is that my old one was D5512 new body D5511. All I can say is thank you Hornby for a first class replacement service and you have one very happy customer. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi

this week my friend bought a 31 sound chip for his green loco took body off and the buffer beam castings just dropped off so he stripped loco and chucked chassis in the bin

and said thats the last Hornby loco i will be buying?Well i have 2 blue to look at so i will have to see if i am lucky.

i told him to send it back to Hornby but he said its to much trouble but will Hornby sell him one.

hugh

Archived