Bachmann VEA project

Class 158 productions

Hi All,

I had a look at this also.

£39.95 for a twin axle box van......

Even with Bachmann's initial 15% discount this still equates to around 34 quid per wagon & I am after a dozen!

Thinking about Accurascale's JSA wagons recently provided for the the steel industry & also their PTA's @ circa 30 quid as well as potentially Dapol's forth coming O. & K. Yeoman wagons are all larger vehicles but with a reduced NSP. 

Smaller overheads for these Companies maybe an influencer.

I guess if I want these I best start saving!

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Looking through the 2017 Bachmann catalog, is this project still happening or is it like the bitumen TTA. Any updates? 82DC5224-6D94-49CA-824B-D05E5CBF9E27.jpeg.4ef881d2307c4df889fef4ddce65b70c.jpeg

The Spring 2021 edition of the Bachmann Times advised progress on models being developed, for the VEA, the model has completed tooling and acceptance and is now in the artwork stage.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Fancied these when they were first announced to include in a speedlink train, but with the current price I may just get one or two or not bother now.  

If only I could build wagon kits that would stay on the track!

I wanted some in the earlier Vanwide form, which Bachmann aren't producing yet, so during the first lockdown I built 4 from the Parkside kit. The kit goes together very easily and with a simple BR bauxite livery, was easy to finish. Also built some Palvans to go with them. If Bachmann do produce the Vanwide in the future, I won't be tempted at that price.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Fancied these when they were first announced to include in a speedlink train, but with the current price I may just get one or two or not bother now.  

If only I could build wagon kits that would stay on the track!

If you haven’t tried a Parkside VEA I would suggest having a go. I was in the same boat as you with wagon kits never sitting square or running right but the Parkside kit is a delight to build even for those who may struggle (I am certainly no kit building expert).

Apologies if you’ve already tried one but these are the ones that got my confidence back.

Alternatively how about a Parkside body on a Dapol chassis and use the detail from the kit? Would still only come to about £15 per wagon. I’ve never tried it and the buffer beam may give an issue but just a thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Thanks to you both for your encouragement.  I did build Parkside when I got back into the hobby, looked good but didn't run well.  I may give them another go.

What I tend to use is a flat piece of thick glass (the wife's kitchen glass preparation surface - don't tell her. When I put together the chassis I set it with the wheels in place, on the glass, this ensures any lack of true, that can come from the wheel bearing position, is worked out. The body can normally be adjusted on to the chassis, once the chassis is set. I use Model Supplies Plastic Weld, as the liquid glue for Parkside kits. Good luck

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Dapol doing wagon in O gauge only just a little more expensive than this OO..... nice if Dapol was to down size it

We haven’t seen these in the flesh, although the price is rather high, especially when compared to something like the Kernow PRA, which has so many parts compared to a box van, although I’m sure the Bachmann one will be detailed. 

• RMweb Premium

The VEA is definitely coming along. In the World of Model Railways virtual exhibition over 13-14 March, they showed a video 'Behind the scenes at Bachmann - Part II' which had photos of a pre-production model of the VEA.

One of these showed the underside of the chassis, which is incredibly detailed. So detailed, I wondered if it was a bit over the top, since most of the time, these will be running on track and you will hardly ever see the detail. So it seemed to me.  

I think the photos came from the Bachmann magazine for club members. I've tried to locate the video through Google, but I suspect it was only available for a short time

John Storey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dave parker said:

hi spoke to Bachmann last year and this wagon had not even gone to the CAD stage so dont think will see it for next couple of years. i've gave up on them and built the parkside/peco kits a lot cheaper

Dave

As I posted a few posts ago, the Spring edition of Bachmann Times advised they had cleared tooling and tooling approval stages and were now at decoration stage.

The detail shown in the photos in the Bachmann Times looks very good. I think the VEA’s are a great addition to the range of air braked vans produced by Bachmann and would be nice to see the VCA in time to complete them. Ideally for creating the MOD trains of the era.

thanks

Mark

• Agree 1

On 16/04/2021 at 11:23, SHerr said:

If you haven’t tried a Parkside VEA I would suggest having a go. I was in the same boat as you with wagon kits never sitting square or running right but the Parkside kit is a delight to build even for those who may struggle (I am certainly no kit building expert).

Apologies if you’ve already tried one but these are the ones that got my confidence back.

Alternatively how about a Parkside body on a Dapol chassis and use the detail from the kit? Would still only come to about £15 per wagon. I’ve never tried it and the buffer beam may give an issue but just a thought. 

Fully recommend Peco nee Parkside kits as a more cost effective approach for those who

a) have a modelling budget

b) enjoy modelling

Must point out to "SHerr" though that the VEA had a totally rebuilt chassis from below the solebar and is not really like anything else. So the Parkside kit or the Bachmann RTR are the only options apart from  kitbashing your own.  

• 3 months later...

I notice the Railfreight red/grey van has a red roof as well, how prototypical would that be? I can see its red in the catalogue photo, but was just curious as to how common a feature that would have been. Obviously painting a wagon roof isn't an issue if needed, but I've got a few Parkside ones already and was thinking of adding a bit of variation.

Cheers

J

13 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I notice the Railfreight red/grey van has a red roof as well, how prototypical would that be? I can see its red in the catalogue photo, but was just curious as to how common a feature that would have been. Obviously painting a wagon roof isn't an issue if needed, but I've got a few Parkside ones already and was thinking of adding a bit of variation.

Cheers

J

Images in Paul Bartlett's treasure trove show quite a split between red roof or dark grey roof. A couple of things I notice in common with the images showing red roofs is that they tend to be concentrated in the photos from the early '80s and they tend to be of Horwich rebuilds. The Shildon rebuilds appear to have grey/black roofs. After a few years in service even the red roofs looked to be weathering down to a shade of filth, but its still obvious which ones were dirty red and which were painted grey/black. Photos later in their lives its hard to say what paint colour the roofs are, studying the scrapline photos is inconclusive but the majority appear in shades of grey. It would be interesting to get a definitive answer, but at the moment I suspect its the Horwich wagons rebuilt '81-'82 which carried the red roof.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Following up on this topic concerning the ‘red roof’ on the VEA’s. 
Looking at images on line of both models produced previously & kit variants that people have made & subsequently painted plus photo’s of the real thing, the majority of what I have found appear to have a greyish coloured roof.
Granted, this could be having spent many years outside in the elements but these don’t appear to have a reddish base. 
It will be interesting to see these Bachmann models once produced & I dare say a significant amount of weathering will need to be applied especially to the roof…..

Alternatively, maybe a re-paint of the roof. What colour would people suggest?

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Looking at images on line of both models produced previously & kit variants that people have made & subsequently painted plus photo’s of the real thing, the majority of what I have found appear to have a greyish coloured roof.
Granted, this could be having spent many years outside in the elements but these don’t appear to have a reddish base. 
It will be interesting to see these Bachmann models once produced & I dare say a significant amount of weathering will need to be applied especially to the roof…..

Mid-grey with a bit of green knocked into it ?

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

It’s like FGW MK3 roofs, blue underneath but were always coated in soot and whatever that made them look black and grey. The blue roof on the pristine model sticks out, but is correct. 

Consulted my friends and we are in agreement that there are red ones - there are at least 3 on my site and of newly rebuilt vans. Others recorded red roofs on newish builds. White or off white and yellow were used in later years (I don't have any in yellow).

Most are in dark grey.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3