Bachmann VEA project

Class 158 productions

3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Consulted my friends and we are in agreement that there are red ones - there are at least 3 on my site and of newly rebuilt vans. Others recorded red roofs on newish builds. White or off white and yellow were used in later years (I don't have any in yellow).

Most are in dark grey.

Paul

Paul, of those sporting red roofs, were the majority Horwich rebuilds photographed prior to 1985? The more I look for and find photos, the more I am convinced the red roof was limited to the Horwich vans...or am I seeing things?

Any photos of the Parkside completed kits Diag 1/217

vacumn version, dont know why Bachmann chose

the air brake version first, seeing as the original

version were more numerous on the network

well into the eighties and making a very complicated

chassis for the air brakes hence the inflated price.

Edited by paul 27

On 31/08/2021 at 16:33, paul 27 said:

chassis for the air brakes hence the inflated price

if they chose Diag 217 i am sure it would have been 

at a more reduced price.

If you don't like Bachmann's pricing, don't buy any, build the Parkside kit and stop going on about prices

No one is forcing you to buy it

• Round of applause 1

at a more reduced price.

I think you answered your own question . Why would Bachmann reproduce the kit , that already exists ?

I do feel the manufacturers can’t win - too much underside detail / too expensive etc. You could guarantee if they made the underside look plain , somebody would moan .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I think you answered your own question . Why would Bachmann reproduce the kit , that already exists ?

I do feel the manufacturers can’t win - too much underside detail / too expensive etc. You could guarantee if they made the underside look plain , somebody would moan .

Very true, to me it seems an unnecessary addition but clearly the market is going that way. Like with the new retooled HAA wagons, a lot of focus on the underside. Luckily these were used in speedlink so you don’t need too many, a bulk train would be pricy for the length but probably reasonable for the detail. Also gives Bachmann an excuse for those who complain about delays when they can say ‘but ah, have you seen the underside Sir?’ Also in the day we visited Barwell videos, you see the amount of tooling differences. Many I didn’t even realise,it will be a stunner. 

21 hours ago, Monkersson said:

If you don't like Bachmann's pricing, don't buy any, build the Parkside kit and stop going on about prices

No one is forcing you to buy it

Less of the attitude would be appreciated i was not complaining about 

prices though some would think so the cost is not a problem as i prefer

to buy a completed model than build a kit which must apply to most

i was just pointing out with a simple chassis it would be obviously

cheaper to produce may be Bachmann will offer this as an alternative,

i own a huge Bachmann collection as i prefer there products to most

having purchased locos steam / diesel and coaches and wagons, as to

replicating existing products i see a lot of manufacturers are doing the

same recently.

Edited by paul 27

at a more reduced price.

Hello Paul 27. These kits are without doubt one of the easiest I've built. Go together very easy. Only problem I've  had wit kits is when I didn't bother painting the inside of the kit. I found that when the paint dried it it caused  a slight inward warping of the sides. Since then I've always painted the inside and never had the issue again. I also have 3 of the VEA kits two of which I've started. Well worth a go these. 

Cheers Trailrage 

Screenshot_20210325-095941_Gallery.jpg.bcd60e4f29077f4a7765377b3a061126.jpg

• Like 6

There's a couple here with Red Roofs

11/05/1982 - York. | Best viewed Original size. 4-wheel air-… | Flickr

and another here

21/06/1983 - York. | Air-braked VEA vans 230371 & 230278 at … | Flickr

I think it's less about price than perceived worth.

I dabble with BR 1980s and would probably buy one or two as I have a few wagons from that era. But if they were a bit less then I might have bought something like a dozen.

I'm afraid when you are thinking of spending £400 or so on wagons then you are surely allowed a bit of a mild groan.

How much would this little lot cost? :prankster:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/22894065016

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The difference in cost between a Vanwide and VEA would be negligible - including air brake equipment is not particularly expensive. 

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's less about price than perceived worth.

I dabble with BR 1980s and would probably buy one or two as I have a few wagons from that era. But if they were a bit less then I might have bought something like a dozen.

Surely the total you’re prepared to spend will be roughly the same whether you’re getting 10 wagons or 15?

If the price is massively more than other contemporary tooling then I could understand it but there’s a whole host of variables that come into pricing so even then straightforward comparisons are rarely as straightforward as they might first seem. 

cheers Mike

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2021 at 22:09, TRAILRAGE said:

Hello Paul 27. These kits are without doubt one of the easiest I've built. Go together very easy. Only problem I've  had wit kits is when I didn't bother painting the inside of the kit. I found that when the paint dried it it caused  a slight inward warping of the sides. Since then I've always painted the inside and never had the issue again. I also have 3 of the VEA kits two of which I've started. Well worth a go these. 

Cheers Trailrage 

Screenshot_20210325-095941_Gallery.jpg.bcd60e4f29077f4a7765377b3a061126.jpg

Nice work on that Vanwide.

Regarding warped sides, I'd never considered that painting the inside might help, interesting.  Whenever I build vans I routinely add some internal bracing, which also seems to prevent the problem, for example:

2021-09-04_06-56-26.jpg.f52a33ad7c519c1d4ff415e51a096d07.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Nice work on that Vanwide.

Regarding warped sides, I'd never considered that painting the inside might help, interesting.  Whenever I build vans I routinely add some internal bracing, which also seems to prevent the problem, for example:

2021-09-04_06-56-26.jpg.f52a33ad7c519c1d4ff415e51a096d07.jpg

Hello Mark.

I had to do this on a Parkside SR PMV. I'd had it in storage for quite a while and not only had the sides warped the floor had to. I used a piece of Steel which I believe was a weight from another model possibly a Coach of somesort  and bolted it to the floor and then had the internal bracing. That must have been 15 years ago and its still going strong..

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1

11 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Talking about block working does this only apply to the post

steam era, i have only seen tho odd wagons in mixed freights

wagon loads in the 62 - 68 period, or any pictures of these

in block working in the said period.

I've no specific knowledge of the 1960s as it was before my time, but I suspect that block workings were more common in the latter years of operation.  With the advent of the air braked network in the 1970s, there was a trend towards using larger wagons and, as I understand it, the VEA 'Vanwide' was effectively retained for use on flows to/from sites that couldn't accommodate the larger air braked wagons (VAA etc).  This would therefore have led to the VEA 'Vanwide' being concentrated on flows to/from specific locations that had operating constraints on wagon length and with the run down of vacuum braked services, most similar sized vans from the steam era would have been eliminated from the network, effectively leading to block workings of VEA 'Vanwide' by the 1980s.

That would potentially be a reason for Bachmann choosing the later air braked variant as the start point.  Those modelling the earlier period may only be looking to purchase a single wagon to add to a rake, whereas those modelling a more recent period may want half a dozen.

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to the VEA coming out. Looks superb from the video Andy shared. I’ve built 3 of the park side kids which do go together nicely and even did a couple of ODA’s but I’m going to get 3 of the new Bachmann model as they will go very nicely into my MOD van train which just happens to be made up entirely of Bachmann stock.

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

I’m looking forward to the VEA coming out. Looks superb from the video Andy shared. I’ve built 3 of the park side kids which do go together nicely and even did a couple of ODA’s but I’m going to get 3 of the new Bachmann model as they will go very nicely into my MOD van train which just happens to be made up entirely of Bachmann stock.

cheers

Mark

I thought your 3 kids were your own and not parkside's?

:jester:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Following Bachmann’s winter announcements earlier this week, there has been some ‘news’ on the VEA......

The initial Railfreight red & grey version was portrayed with a red roof (38-881). Not my particular preference.

Some good news, there has been an addition!

The Bachmann 38-883 is finished in Railfreight red & grey but this time with a grey roof.

Apparently these will be available Feb/Mar 2022.

Hope this is of assistance.

3FFC68EE-071E-4F80-BB91-496E2AE0F3AD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1