uv resin and painting

I have used Elegoo resin & it seems to be ok. They have recently started to make water washable resin so you don't need IPA to wash the prints & equipment after using it. I read some reviews stating it starts to crack after a few days, so I was a bit sceptical but I have not seen any problems.

I have heard black resin is a bit awkward to use but I do not know why.

One thing which I fell foul of is not levelling the print plate before each task. This is quite an easy process & it is crucial to get good results.

You will also need to sure the resin with UV before painting. They need to somehow be exposed to a little UV for curing before painting. This could be sunlight, a UV nail curer, a resin wash & cure station or a sun lamp.

I am sure you will make some interesting stuff with it. Don't despair if the first few prints are not entirely successful. I went through a learning curve with both my laser cutter & 3d printer but they have both helped me produce products which are way better & more consistent than I could have produced with a scalpel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have used a few Anycubic resin products but settled on their Eco resin as it is very low odour, used black and grey but find grey much easier to work with. Recently moved to mix this with 20% Siraya Tech resin as it gives a much more flexible and less brittle print.

https://tinyurl.com/cmfbbm5k This is an N gauge H section catenary mast.

You do need to tune the exposure time of your printer with each type and colour of resin you use with a resin exposure test file as there are variations in the settings to get the highest quality finish.

In terms of painting, I use a rattle can of plastic primer, either grey, red or white depending on what the intended top coat is going to be, never had a problem with that followed by acrylic based paints.

I bought an Anycubic Wash and Cure machine and find it invaluable in the process, in my mind a very worthwhile investment to compliment the printer.

All these are Nm based on RhB prototypes - WIP.

image.png.7046a87aa6879cbce6e80bfecd9db403.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2021 at 13:17, crackedmember said:

Hi,  I am about to order a 3d UV resin printer.

What resin do I need to go with it?

For models

I.E.  Which resin type and colour is best in terms of being painted?

Any that I should avoid?

Colour makes basically no difference for painting. I use grey 90% of the time, generally favouring Anycubic, because it’s cheap! I’ve also tried Elegoo, Longer, Siraya Tech, Phrozen and a few other brands that have randomly been on sale! Grey is an easy colour to print and shows details well (the translucent resins need priming first really). I also use clear, because it’s useful for translucent bits, and black for bogies and couplings because you can get away with more haphazard painting! Some say that clear resins need shorter exposure times and black much longer, due to their absorption properties, but personally I don’t find any notable difference.

The Elegoo water washable resin isn’t particularly new, IMO it solves a non-existent problem. You’re just left with a load of toxic water which won’t evaporate like IPA. It’s not safe to flush down the drains or anything, it’s still nasty stuff. You have to be very careful to cure hollow items internally, whilst standard resins are much more forgivable of that. 

Siraya Tenacious is brilliant, mixed with standard resins to add some flex. I mix 1:3 parts with Anycubic and it’s utterly transformative. Not cheap, but lasts ages. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm another one for Anycubic grey to go with my Mono X, I also have clear as that's what came with my machine. This is partly because I've not got around to trying anything else yet.

The big thing is to make sure you cure your model before painting it. I use ordinary primer from my local hardware store and paint on that. I've not used eco so far, because it says it's biodegradable, and I can't find out what it's lifespan is and what factors might affect it.

Edited by JCL