DCC Decoders

Crewlisle

Some decoder manufacturers include 'sleeves' to fit over the decoders.  Others say to ensure that there is nothing covering the decoder to ensure that there is 'movement of air' across the decoder to keep it cool.

Which advice is best?

Peter

If the manufacturer provides a sleeve then I feel free to fit it if I feel it it needed, particularly if other metal is around. If they say keep it uncovered then I ensure that it is uncovered.

It really all depends on the heat dissipation from a particular decoder and that will be the manufacturers decision to sleeve or not at the design/test stages. There are so many decoders that it is not possible to generalise. Some come with sealed sleeving prefitted anyway.

I would follow the advice given for a particular decoder.

On 10/04/2021 at 16:14, Crewlisle said:

Some decoder manufacturers include 'sleeves' to fit over the decoders. 

Which advice is best?

Peter,

What do know is that a plastic sleeve is a good indicator if one of the chips on the DCC decoder has overheated / blown. The plastic simply melts above the offending chip!

Ian

Some decoder manufacturers include 'sleeves' to fit over the decoders.  Others say to ensure that there is nothing covering the decoder to ensure that there is 'movement of air' across the decoder to keep it cool.

Which advice is best?

The particular decoder manufacturers' advice :)

Having said that, there will be minimal airflow in anything but the largest loco bodies. It's going to rely on convection (unless you fit air scoops and ducting!) and the decoder is probably lying flat (maybe even with components face down) and not really able to take advantage.

What you must ensure is that the decoder is electrically isolated. A sleeve or a bit of kapton tape will do this.

Depends on the type you use.

Generally, ZIMO direct plug-in types have no heatshrink wrap, but any that are not firmly fixed by the interface, i.e. all 'wired', some versions of 6 pin, and all 8 pin decoders come wth a substantial heat shrink wrap.

Best regards,

Paul