varnish for Scalescenes card models - does it need to be a specific type?

• RMweb Gold

I have bought a fair few Scalescenes card models and am about to start assembling some.  The instructions say to use "artist's spray varnish" however I already have various spray varnishes for my kit models.  Does anyone here know if the varnish has to be a specific type?  If so, what do other card builders recommend?

Can I use an acrylic spray, such as Vallejo or Humbrol, which I already have plenty of?

cheers,
Mike

• RMweb Gold

Some of the plastic kit spray varnish will bleach all of the colour out of the printed sheets, have a guess how I found that out!

I use inkjet fixative spray varnish.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've used B&Q brush varnish (matt). My take is to print on A4 size sticky labels and they fix easily to plasticard. I use the buildings in the garage and am wary of cardboard in there, and I seal them against damp with the varnish.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I was brushing my varnish on, so maybe if sprayed it wouldn't wash the colours out of the inkjet prints. Incidentally I found that some sheets printed on a colour laser printer were not very well fused to the paper and the toner came off when brushed with a stiff paintbrush.

I think if you look for Exterior varnish then that is usually not water based. Otherwise check out the section (if it is on the website) about cleaning the brushes out after use, if it says use thinners or whitespirit then it should be okay.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have found that most spray varnishes are fine is you apply multiple very light coats so as not to saturate the paper/card.

I currently use Windsor & Newton Acrylic matt varnish sprayed on using my airbrush, slightly thinned using IPA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Useful info thanks. With the paper sheets for platform surfaces, can anyone recommend a glue that they may have used; probably going on Plasticard or perhaps Balsa base. Also if anyone has used these did you apply to card before mounting on another surface? I wasn't planning to. I'm only doing an experiment to see if the paper sheet looks  OK rather than a painted surface (for gravel or tarmac).

Many thanks.

Phil.

From the Scalescenes website:

It is strongly recommended giving sheets several light even coats of artist's matt spray varnish (used to fix chalk and pastel drawings and available from most art supply shops). This helps protect the print surface during construction and reduces fading and discolouration. Always test the varnish on a scrap print before applying to your kit!

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Most people are still answering my original request, which has now been resolved by obtaining Inkjet Fixative.  It is a varnish that secures the ink from running or fading etc.

As to a fixative for sticking your printed sheets to a backing surface, I find that a general glue stick; such as Pritt Glue Stick, works fine.  I've used Pritt to glue the Scalescene sheets to paper, card, balsa wood and plastic; and its convenient to use.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2021 at 13:05, Royal42 said:

Hi Phil,

Most people are still answering my original request, which has now been resolved by obtaining Inkjet Fixative.  It is a varnish that secures the ink from running or fading etc.

As to a fixative for sticking your printed sheets to a backing surface, I find that a general glue stick; such as Pritt Glue Stick, works fine.  I've used Pritt to glue the Scalescene sheets to paper, card, balsa wood and plastic; and its convenient to use.

cheers,
Mike

Cheers MIke. That's good, a sticky rather than a liquid sort of glue.

I have to admit to being a duffer as my sets are actually Scale Scene Models. Derrrrrr. My age is outrunning my Brain. Sane idea but they supply the sheets. Scalescenes is a downloadable thing isn't it? My bad.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2021 at 08:08, stewartingram said:

As I've said before, print on to self adhesive labels, A4 size. No glue needed then. Seal with a coat of your favourite varnish. Mine is B&Q or similar matt varnish brushed on.

Stewart

My bad Stewart. I actually misread my Product's name. It is Scale Scene Models products, ready printed. Not Scalescenes. My apologies. No excuse except my age!

Phil

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Scalescenes is a downloadable thing isn't it?

Yes, downloadable which is advantageous to me with my shaky hands and watery eyes.   If I buy a card kit then I get one kit.  If I ruin it whilst cutting, glueing or painting, then I don't have a kit.  With the downloadables, if I ruin the build then I just print another one.  Similarly, I want a row of bridges, stanchions or shops etc., I just keep printing them off. 

Works for me.

Mike the septuagenarian

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It’s a personal choice whether to use varnish or not. You don’t need to use any specific brand of varnish as long as you use matt varnish. This is mainly to protect the printed finish from fading and the like. 

If you’re weathering any kit after building then I would suggest sealing it with matt varnish afterwards to protect it. 

Just remember to cover any windows properly before using any varnish as this will cause them to be frosted or misted.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

general glue stick; such as Pritt Glue Stick, works fine.  I've used Pritt to glue the Scalescene sheets to paper, card, balsa wood and plastic; and its convenient to use

Phil,

I've never tried to glue Scalescenes papers direct to balsa wood, as Dalerboard and other types of card are my preferred medium here.

I also use Pritt sticks and the like, but I always apply the glue to the card, rather than the brick paper. Once the brick paper has been carefully put in place (unless it's an actual Scalescenes kit, I always try to cut the brick paper a little oversize), I then put the piece between two sheets of A4 paper and rub it down, to ensure the brick paper has glued nicely to the card and is also flat. The whole lot then gets put under a load of heavy books on a flat surface, to ensure it all dries nice and flat.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/07/2023 at 20:58, stewartingram said:

I've used varnish from B&Q to seal my Scalescenes  & Metcalfe card models, with no ill effects.

Please could you give a link to the specific product you are referring to.  Thanks.