Rive Bleue Express, 1998.

There is a railway line between the French town of Évian-le-Bains and the Swiss town of Le Bouveret. Both towns are situated on the southern shores of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva). The line was closed for general use, but for a while it was used for occasional tourist trains from Le Bouveret to Évian and some of these were steam hauled by a delightful little 0-6-0WT called HANSLI.

Unfortunately, the track on the French side became unsafe, so the popular cross-border tourist train had to be withdrawn. 1998 was the last year of operation, so I was extremely lucky to see it and get this video; I hope you like it.

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 1

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

As much as a revival would be a nice idea, I think it's a miracle that even back in 1998 SNCF would allow open-platform stock with passengers hanging off it to run on a line shared with Corail trains, TGVs and freight. Sadly I'd give the 1998 setup close to zero chance of getting SNCF Réseau's approval in 2021, especially considering their generally anti-preservation stance (lived here 15 years and the number of times I've seen heritage traction on the mainline can be counted on two fingers, whereas in my previous life in Chester it was a weekly occurence).

Some excellent footage though, that 0-3-0 doesn't half move!

Alan

On 10/04/2021 at 20:28, 45669 said:

There is a railway line between the French town of Évian-le-Bains and the Swiss town of Le Bouveret. Both towns are situated on the southern shores of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva). The line was closed for general use, but for a while it was used for occasional tourist trains from Le Bouveret to Évian and some of these were steam hauled by a delightful little 0-6-0WT called HANSLI.

Unfortunately, the track on the French side became unsafe, so the popular cross-border tourist train had to be withdrawn. 1998 was the last year of operation, so I was extremely lucky to see it and get this video; I hope you like it.

TTFN,

Ron.

Didn't this line have a nickname? Something like 'Le Train de Tonkin' or La 'Ligne du Tonkin'?

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Didn't this line have a nickname? Something like 'Le Train de Tonkin' or La 'Ligne du Tonkin'?

Yes, Ligne de Tonkin. This is because the line was part of a grandiose 'railwaymania' plan for a railway to link Paris to the Far East ie Gulf of Tonkin (Vietnam)

Edited by Gordonwis

10 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Yes, Ligne de Tonkin. This is because the line was part of a grandiose 'railwaymania' plan for a railway to link Paris to the Far East ie Gulf of Tonkin (Vietnam)

In the history of grandoise projects, it's up there with the Manchested and Milford Haven...

On 12/04/2021 at 15:51, jivebunny said:

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

As much as a revival would be a nice idea, I think it's a miracle that even back in 1998 SNCF would allow open-platform stock with passengers hanging off it to run on a line shared with Corail trains, TGVs and freight. Sadly I'd give the 1998 setup close to zero chance of getting SNCF Réseau's approval in 2021, especially considering their generally anti-preservation stance (lived here 15 years and the number of times I've seen heritage traction on the mainline can be counted on two fingers, whereas in my previous life in Chester it was a weekly occurence).

Some excellent footage though, that 0-3-0 doesn't half move!

Alan

The TGVs, freight trains, etc. didn't run on the same tracks as the cross-border tourist trains.  The tourist trains came in from Le Bouveret in Switzerland from the east, while the main line SNCF trains came from elsewhere in France and came into the station from the west.  So although they met at Évian, that's as far as it went.

Ron.

On 13/04/2021 at 00:28, Gordonwis said:

Another story I’ve read is that the workmen building the line had just returned from a job in the far east and thought the geology looked the same.

Take your pick (I prefer Gordon’s version!).

As for reopening, the population east of Evian decreases dramatically hence traffic wouldn’t be big. Having spent a lot of money on Leman Express (CEVA) recently (cross border from Geneva to Haute Savoire towns incl Evian) I cannot see there is much appetite for an extension.