Blender Question

Hi

I'm trying to model this part and usually I would just do it in AutoCAD but  some reason I can not join all the solids into one part before creating an STL that I can slice.

So I thought Blender might be the go.  I have not used this program before and going from the comments it seems like it might be the way to go.

My only two options for importing in Blender are STL and FBX,  The model is on different layers, also it's in real world dimensions (I usually scale down before I export out).

My questions are

• When I import the FBX it says that version 7000 is unsupported and use 7100 not use if that is something I can change
  • After I have imported the STL I can not see it. Is there are zoom extents?
  • How do you create a solid object so I can export a new  STL file?

Or is this more complicated than I think and need to change the way I model in Blender

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I can have a look at your file(s) and see if I can work out what’s happening if you like. If I can work out what’s happening and get it visible, I could send you a blend file in return.

cheers

Jason

I'm using Chitubox, yeah I'm not sure.  What I've found is if it is not one complete solid, then not all the parts get exported out.  Worst of all its random which parts are exported out.  Even tried putting all the parts onto the same layer with no luck.

Makes it frustrating

Are you referring to exporting from Blender as an STL?

All objects in Blender will export as a single STL which can then be imported into Chitubox as a single entity. It does not matter whether they are on a layer, the layer is visible or not, or the object is visible or not, they will ALL export.

If you want separate objects you will have to copy the blend file and delete all but the ones you want and then export that.

11 hours ago, regme said:

I'm using Chitubox, yeah I'm not sure.  What I've found is if it is not one complete solid, then not all the parts get exported out.  Worst of all its random which parts are exported out.  Even tried putting all the parts onto the same layer with no luck.

Makes it frustrating

Can't speak for AutoCAD directly, but in Fusion360 it will only save visible bodies in the STL. I imagine something along those lines is what's going on there. 

On 20/04/2021 at 17:42, Quarryscapes said:

Can't speak for AutoCAD directly, but in Fusion360 it will only save visible bodies in the STL. I imagine something along those lines is what's going on there. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "visible bodies".

MikeTrice - The orginal model is created in AutoCAD, but I'm having trouble joining 3Dsolids parts into one part so I can export it out as an STL to bring into Chitubox.  I thought I could bring it into Blender to join all the parts together, but from what you have said as long as I can bring in the parts I can export it out.  Which would be great.

I might try to bring in the parts one by one and see what happens, hopefully blender works in a co-ordinate system so the parts will join up.

I've experienced something similar in Autocad for Mac 2018 where the union command wouldn't work on certain solids.  I was sure the solids were clean but used the following command - SOLIDEDIT, then click body, then click cLean and it will ask you to select the 3D object you want to clean.  After I followed this process for my solids I was able to join them all together into one solid using the UNION command then export as a single STL into Chitubox.  This worked well for me so worth a try.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Rammstein2609
  • Thanks 1

Is your heart set on using Blender or are you just wanting a way to convert this particular

.dxf to .stl for slicing?

If its the latter I usually use sketchup to convert .dxf files. There is an issue with scaling - it imported as 21km wide so I just randomly resized it but you should be able to fix that in chitubox.

It seemed to slice ok so I assume its watertight. If it is what you are after and want to know the process I can outline it later but its the start of a lovely sunny day here so its off to work to sit in an underground room...

test.jpg.996dffe2e303ab4a5d816a467df50898.jpg

test.stl

Edited by monkeysarefun

10 hours ago, regme said:

Thanks, I gave that a go.  Still no joy.

Even when I create just a box from scatch and used the check option it didn't confirm that the solid was ok.

I have attached the file, if anyone wants to have ago.

Chute-03.dwg 582.28 kB · 3 downloads

I had a go with this in Autocad 2018 for Mac and tried the UNION tool on all solids and it successfully added them all together to make one solid.  What version of Autocad are you using out of interest?

I have attached the file with all solids joined just in case that is what you were looking for.

Cheers

Martin

Chute-03 v2.dwg

Edited by Rammstein2609
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 06:19, monkeysarefun said:

Is your heart set on using Blender or are you just wanting a way to convert this particular

.dxf to .stl for slicing?

Not reaaly, I has having trouble joining the solids in AutoCAD so was looking for an alternative.

I'm using 2011, thanks for joining it together I'll have a look at it tonight.

Cheers