Best Ideas for Storage and Transport of Layouts

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm looking for any ideas, concepts, pitfalls, etc, of systems to store and move layouts around. This is in particular for my layout S&P, which in the main has very simple 'modular' 2' x 4' plywood boards for the scenic and straight fiddleyard sections, but slightly odd shapes for the ends where the fiddleyard throats are.

My thoughts at the moment are around having some kind of base made of 2"x1" with decent sized pivoting wheels, and a removeable long handle that could be fixed at either end. There would be 2"x1" vertical side beams with blocks attached to support boards, and 2"x1" diagonal cross trusses on both sides and ends to prevent 'shifting' while moving. The whole lot would need to be able to be dissassembled, as there would be no space for such an empty frame to sit.

Does this sound viable?

TIA

• Like 1

Not sure I can picture your idea (show us a sketch perhaps?).

My first thought would be - what are you loading/unloading it from? An estate car, a van, a trailer? Think about how you get it into/out of the transport.

How much will it weigh? Pivoting castors have a mind of their own.

Random thought - boards stored vertically , minimizing the footprint, fixed wheels. Like a market porters trolley. Again weight will be a big factor.

I will post some pictures later on when back home (there are some pics on my Peafore Yard and PAarsons Vale threads)how I evolved the concept but for a previous layout I used the legs as the frame with the castors mounted on the side of the legs. The current layout has castors mounted on the board itself with legs storing on top. It has major advantages as at one show I was parked down the road so just wheeled the whole lot down the high street. I use a Mondeo estate as Transport and am looking at a ramp to wheel the layout into the car to save lifting.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not at all good at drawing, but I will try and rough something up and post it.

The usage isn't for transport to exhibition, it's to protect the boards while in transit between places where I live, and also if they have to go back into storage again. Last time I had to store them the boards existing at the time took some damage because I couldn't look after them well. I'm hoping a frame could help protect them and help make them easier to move.

Edited by Ian J.

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Here's a quick and very rough sketch:

Scan_0001.jpg

I have seen something like it used before, just a question, do your boards have a backscene/cover, if not then I would definitely consider it?

If you scroll down this page linked below, it shows a step by step of the frame I built. I like your handle and tiller approach to mounting the castors as it will make what could be quite a heavy thing more manoeuvrable. It is quite an engineering piece so not sure how you are planning to move it as it looks like at least a trailer or a van would be required 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I have seen something like it used before, just a question, do your boards have a backscene/cover, if not then I would definitely consider it?

The layout isn't in any way finished yet. I'm still finalizing any modifications to the boards before painting them, which is why I'm concerned for drilling holes for the holding bolts for a storage frame. I don't want to do that after painting.

25 minutes ago, 37114 said:

If you scroll down this page linked below, it shows a step by step of the frame I built. I like your handle and tiller approach to mounting the castors as it will make what could be quite a heavy thing more manoeuvrable. It is quite an engineering piece so not sure how you are planning to move it as it looks like at least a trailer or a van would be required 

Thanks for the reply. That build appearance strikes me as a bit too specific for my needs. What I am looking for is a frame that can be more adaptable to whatever boards I might need to put in it, which could change over time.

• RMweb Premium

Will the layout ever have to go up/down stairs?

Will the layout need to be lifted into/out of a vehicle?

My immediate reaction is that you are creating a good solution for moving the layout on the easy bits but adding weight for the more difficult bits of moving the layout.

Most moveable layouts have the boards boxed in pairs and if you want you just sit the pair of boards on a small dolly to push it along.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Will the layout ever have to go up/down stairs?

Will the layout need to be lifted into/out of a vehicle?

My immediate reaction is that you are creating a good solution for moving the layout on the easy bits but adding weight for the more difficult bits of moving the layout.

Most moveable layouts have the boards boxed in pairs and if you want you just sit the pair of boards on a small dolly to push it along.

Good questions.

In the frame, the layout would be moved onto a tail-lift of something like a Luton van for moving home, or for moving into storage. Once in a house where it could be assembled, it would be moved by me one board at a time, not in the frame.

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I think if the wheels are large enough, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The tail-lifts I've used on rental Luton vans have an angled edge to them to roll things onto.

It's also the case that the layout is pretty lightweight compared to some I've handled, as I've used lightweight sub 6mm thick plywood for the construction. I can easily lift two (currently 'empty') boards on my own, so I don't imagine the whole stack weighing a tonne.

I remain concerned about overall 'stiffness' of the stack, I'm not really sure how well it would stay truly upright.