Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Guard, Guard! I'm Locked In!!!

1784529254_Screenshot_20210411-2249052.png.a900453c0ea9f89cc2e96d69fb7d9f9e.pngThe great Kathleen Harrison in "The Ghost Train" tries to alight at Fal Vale, but finds to her distress that the "door" is just a window.  Every time I watch this film, I always wonder if this was a true design feature?  I can certainly recall traveling on a great many "Slam-doors" in the nineties that had windows or door handles that were jammed resulting in a run to the next exit before the train pulled away(!)

• Like 1

All "slam" doors were lockable, and were locked if a train was left out of use, to prevent tramps taking up residence for the night etc.. They were supposed to be unlocked for use, but it wasn't unknown for one to get left locked by omission. Many commuters used to carry a standard carriage key for just such emergencies.

Which I'm not sure answers your question. Sorry!

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

1784529254_Screenshot_20210411-2249052.png.a900453c0ea9f89cc2e96d69fb7d9f9e.pngThe great Kathleen Harrison in "The Ghost Train" tries to alight at Fal Vale, but finds to her distress that the "door" is just a window.  Every time I watch this film, I always wonder if this was a true design feature?  I can certainly recall traveling on a great many "Slam-doors" in the nineties that had windows or door handles that were jammed resulting in a run to the next exit before the train pulled away(!)

At one time many trains had the doors locked.

The train that ran away near Armagh, certainly had doors locked and this practice was criticised at the investigation. 

So could it be that the story that the film was based on, pre-dated banning of locking doors?

Film set.

In the film I think it's The Cornish Riviera set* they are using, but close ups look like old coaches ready for scrapping. Possibly altered to make filming easier.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033660/mediaviewer/rm1461417984/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033660/mediaviewer/rm2399172864/

*Borrowed as it was out of use during the war. But it's been a long time since I watched it so may be mistaken.

Jason

Perhaps not directly related to the film shots shown here, some Maunsell coaches had droplights but no door on their corridor side, with only every second droplight window being a door as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, SRman said:

Perhaps not directly related to the film shots shown here, some Maunsell coaches had droplights but no door on their corridor side, with only every second droplight window being a door as well.

Maybe that's what this is? Because I don't think they would draw attention to the fact that it's a "film set" carriage(?) I find it a strange gag to throw in to the film, it doesn't have anything to do with the plot... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Old coaches ready for scrapping' may offer a clue, as these were sometimes altered for departmental work, and I believe some GW coaches had the compartment dividers removed for conversion into saloon auto trailers.  This would explain a droplight that was not in a door, the door having been sealed shut, which is what the photo looks like.

Just a suggestion; I've no idea if this is what has happened here.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Definitely a sealed-up door. About half-way up the rhs of the droplight aperture you can see the moulding that curves out around the carriage lock, & below the waist the moulded panel has a larger landing to the right where a T-handle once lived. The upper bodysides look odd, but I put that down to the toplights being plated over.

Of note are the interior shots of both Third and First class compartments. These look absolutely spot on - even down to the blackout details.

• Like 1