Build a box file

Like what you are doing Ian. As a side note I think you have actually a better box file baseboard having made it then if you used an actual box file. The track plan fits in well to and the track itself looks good. I take it that it is Peco code 83 as you are in the USA? 

Woody

2 hours ago, Woody C said:

Like what you are doing Ian. As a side note I think you have actually a better box file baseboard having made it then if you used an actual box file. The track plan fits in well to and the track itself looks good. I take it that it is Peco code 83 as you are in the USA? 

Woody

It's all offcuts of Code 100 that I had lying around. It is PECO though

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Ian! I concur, having used 'real' box files for my build, I think your version is far better. I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours progresses. Mine is crawling along at glacial pace. Cheers! :good_mini:

51120561142_28e4986970_b.jpg

Moving on. With the relief formers in place I covered them with lightweight spackle, or polyfilla depending on which side of the Atlantic you’re on. Followed by a coat of woodland scenic colours to kill the snow landscape.

• Like 2

I'd pretty much decided that I wanted a rock face on the back of the box file, and I thought to myself. 

"Cork Bark. That was what everyone used to use when I was a kid. I've never used it. I'll give it a go."

So I headed down to the local hobby shop for the first time in months. No cork bark anywhere. It didn't even look like they had ever stocked such a thing. Is cork bark still a thing? Or am I so out of touch these days?

However I did find this.

51121525549_739bc75552_b.jpg

It goes by the name of "Mountains in Minutes" Flexrock. It's a foam material, similar to that in pillows, a bit denser. Can be cut easily and takes acrylic paints. It looks pretty reasonable.

"What the heck." I thought. "If it's all they've got, I'll try it."

Once I got it home I decided to see how easy it was to work. 

It's very easy. Very light and slices nicely with a craft knife. 

I tried it in the background of the loading dock vignette I'm working on for the layout. Back there in it's base colour it looks like the Arizona desert. But a change of colour should work wonders. Limestone maybe? 

51121211242_ea0915eea0_b.jpg

I quite like the loading dock scene. That's an old Wills Halt platform to be trimmed and bedded in. I'm pretty cool with the way that looks.

Edited by Ian Holmes
spelling!
  • Like 6

Shed looks good.  I'm trying to work out how small and simple a structure I can get away with for mine and have ordered some Wills corrugated sheet, Your option deals with the visible interior well, something I'd not thought of...

• 2 weeks later...

Some more updates from the box file micro. I found these "wire foliage branches" in my store of scenic materials the other day, and I though they might make good birch trees with a minimum effort, and who doesn't like minimum effort... :D 

51181222595_2b61b6f7cf_b.jpg

The plan is to use a small clump of birch trees to hide the engine shed's join to the side of the container. I think that's going to work.

51180120646_b90b809505_b.jpg

The overall scene is starting to come together quite nicely.

51181219710_a681b64e22_b.jpg

I might just get some ballast on the track soon. 

• Like 4