Bit More Trafford Park.

20 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know exactly what that yellow thing is?

Drewry/Vulcan Foundry 0-4-0DM, IIRC. It worked at what was Taylor's. I think it was ABB wheelsets when I saw it and was, by then, a purely an internal railway, having been cuf off from the rest of the Trafford Park system and the national network.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know exactly what that yellow thing is?

You can see the other locos in a line in the distance on my shot of the steel works.
this loco never came out onto the 'main line'.  It shoved loaded 16tonners out. 
It looks like a 4wheeled 04 shunter. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ruston said:

Drewry/Vulcan Foundry 0-4-0DM, IIRC. It worked at what was Taylor's. I think it was ABB wheelsets when I saw it and was, by then, a purely an internal railway, having been cuf off from the rest of the Trafford Park system and the national network.

Thanks Dave, you just beat me to it.

23 hours ago, Ruston said:

Thanks, I've managed to find good picture of it on Flickr from 1991!

0-4-0DM no.14 (RSH 8089/1959) at Trafford Park Wheel Foundry, ABB British Wheelset Ltd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Thanks, I've managed to find good picture of it on Flickr from 1991!

0-4-0DM no.14 (RSH 8089/1959) at Trafford Park Wheel Foundry, ABB British Wheelset Ltd.

It may only be an internal layout, but they had high expectations of the drivers, he's wearing his Pullman white over jacket.

Still making wheels to this day - called LUR now.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It may only be an internal layout, but they had high expectations of the drivers, he's wearing his Pullman white over jacket.

Still making wheels to this day - called LUR now.

For years I just presumed that the Taylor Bros wheel foundry was just another manufacturer lost due to globalisation etc. and it was only a few years ago that I found out that it still exists nearby in a brand new foundry set on an appropriately named road!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

And another of no. 14 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/manchesterringrollproducts/e2ab3e0ac

Interesting place, with my all time favourite wagon for us to measure - the Hot Pig Iron. 

Paul

Thanks there's some interesting wagons like the ex-Scunthorpe Tippler. So was Rail Ring Roll what the site was officially called?

• 2 months later...