Dogfish question

Axlebox

Folks

A quick question around dates...

Dogfish were built to diagram 587 however some 221 were converted to diagram 588 by adding a 9" steel strip around the top...this conversion appears to have been done for the NE region who were still using slag ballast. As the slag was lighter than stone ballast the volume was increased by adding 'greedy boards*' round the top.

The good Mr Bartlett has many and various examples of both here...

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish

The question is, when did the conversions take place?

Also, some Trout were similarly treated, again thanks to Mr Bartlett we can compare the 2...

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/troutzfo

Any suggestions gratefully received

Duncan

* the term 'greedy boards' dates back to chauldron wagons with an extra board added to increase capacity.

In  a past version of RMweb I've quoted an article from the British Railways Magazine from the time of conversions, reporting it came from a member of staff's suggestion, however I'm obviously not using the right search terms and can't find it.

I'm sure I have a scan of it, but on a PC I won't see again until Wednesday.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These conversions are mentioned in a two-page spread in the recent 'bookazine' "Modelling British Railways Engineers' Wagons" (pages 48-49)  - it states that 'the 1950s and early 1960s saw three different types of hopper wagon receive modifications for use on the workings, this involving adding nine-inch high steel plate sections...."
It goes on to add that first were the Trouts (about 56 of them), followed by over 420 Dogfish.
So maybe mid to late 1950s would be a good guess for the Dogfish, given that there were so many of them?
Hope that helps,
Ross.

Edited by alexross42
fact correction
  • Thanks 1

The date I have noted down, though I can't remember where I got the information from originally,  is 1962 for a batch of ex. LNER TROUT that were converted at Santon. This was the location where the slag from the blast furnace at Scunthorpe steelworks was dumped. The TROUT were given a new diagram E 231.

The DOGFISH were converted next, becoming diagram 1/588. Not sure if these were taken from the batch that were already allocated to Santon Slag Heap, or the selection was a bit more diverse.

Also, there was a batch of 24T IRON ORE hoppers converted in a similar way, but the hopper extension was not as high (6" ?). These were ex. P.O. hoppers. Quite remarkably one was skulking around on the Isle of Wight ages later, and its claim to fame was it became the last ex.P.O. 'P' series wagon running on B.R. These conversions were a bit weird in having a footboard step on the side of the wagon to allow access to the chute handwheel that was half-way along the wagon in between the solebar and the hopper body. Don't recall seeing a diagram for these.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, alexross42 said:

These conversions are mentioned in a two-page spread in the recent 'bookazine' "Modelling British Railways Engineers' Wagons" (pages 48-49)  - it states that 'the 1950s and early 1960s saw three different types of hopper wagon receive modifications for use on the workings, this involving adding nine-inch high steel plate sections...."
It goes on to add that first were the Trouts (about 56 of them), followed by over 420 Dogfish.
So maybe mid to late 1950s would be a good guess for the Dogfish, given that there were so many of them?
Hope that helps,
Ross.

Dogfish weren't introduced until 1956 and some of the 1961 batch had greedy boards, so 1962 is a suitable commencement date. They were also apparently random. 

Paul

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish

• Informative/Useful 1