Illuminated Models

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

After purchasing a couple of Hattons 66s, they have showed up the major lighting downfall in the Bachmann 66 - no twin marker lights to accompany a headlight.

I am retaining some Bachy 66s on the active fleet and was considering making a few boards with SMD LEDs and then found out about the Illuminated Models upgrades.

6-7 fitted so far with very effective results.  The "early" Wipac 66s are a tad fiddly to install - no fault of the IM kit though.

Then I tried one of the "bugeye" Hattons 66 to fix the known issue with the model as supplied- only one marker light.

There was a minor problem with one of the LED boards, but a quick email to IM and a replacement unit arrived a couple of days later. All fitted and working well.

Great service and product from Alex.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

After purchasing a couple of Hattons 66s, they have showed up the major lighting downfall in the Bachmann 66 - no twin marker lights to accompany a headlight.

I am retaining some Bachy 66s on the active fleet and was considering making a few boards with SMD LEDs and then found out about the Illuminated Models upgrades.

6-7 fitted so far with very effective results.  The "early" Wipac 66s are a tad fiddly to install - no fault of the IM kit though.

Then I tried one of the "bugeye" Hattons 66 to fix the known issue with the model as supplied- only one marker light.

There was a minor problem with one of the LED boards, but a quick email to IM and a replacement unit arrived a couple of days later. All fitted and working well.

Great service and product from Alex.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Like you Mick, have fitted boards to bug eyed Hattons 66 and also to some of my remaining Bachmann 66 locos.

Although not an electrical guru, found them easy to fit and great results.

A great product and no connection but a very satisfied customer.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After seeing this topic, I thought I'd give them a try.

Bachmann's recently released 66100 was just about to cross the workbench, so that was the test loco.

Every time I've seen the real loco it's had a full compliment of White lights on, so that was the condition I wanted to copy.

The new LED boards were a doddle to fit ( & I'm no electrical or soldering expert!! )

Before & after pics-

20210424_154457.jpg.483975c9a70e241bb53559ca7a9cfb10.jpg20210424_155400.jpg.e62754bbdca492b7029cd3e31759123f.jpg

Such a simple to install modification, but it makes a massive difference to the overall look of the model !!

Only problem I can see is that it highlights (sorry!!) the missing lights on the rest of my fleet. :blink:

Again, no connection other than satisfied customer.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surely it should not have day and night lights on? In fact, if I recall correctly, they can't be set that way on a 66 as there is a switch to select one or the other.

They sure do look better with a triangle of lights.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Surely it should not have day and night lights on? In fact, if I recall correctly, they can't be set that way on a 66 as there is a switch to select one or the other.

They sure do look better with a triangle of lights.

Roy

This is the only pic I've taken myself of the front of the loco, all my others are 'going away' shots.

1715525680_20181205_205312(2).jpg.365f28cf8ab4bafbce80f63607f951c9.jpg

It caught my eye as it headed out of Eastleigh yard towards the station because the lights looked so bright !

A Flickr search for 66100 suggests it spends plenty of time with all the lights lit !!

No idea whether it's an unusual situation with this loco or not, but as it's this one I'm copying, that's how I'm copying it. :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

10 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

This is the only pic I've taken myself of the front of the loco, all my others are 'going away' shots.

1715525680_20181205_205312(2).jpg.365f28cf8ab4bafbce80f63607f951c9.jpg

A Flickr search for 66100 suggests it spends plenty of time with all the lights lit !!

No idea whether it's an unusual situation with this loco or not, but as it's this one I'm copying, that's how I'm copying it. :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

There's some GBRf 66s similarly fitted - one was in Big Jim's GBRf thread a few weeks back. (I'll see if I can add the pic.)

edit:

66704 - seen here:

edit:

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

There's some GBRf 66s similarly fitted - one was in Big Jim's GBRf thread a few weeks back. (I'll see if I can add the pic.)

edit:

66704 - seen here:

edit:

Thanks for that. I wonder why? By my reading, it is against the RSSB rules. 

Edit: just looked and is definitely not in compliance with RSSB GM/RT2483 "Visibility Requirements for Trains" section C2.

Edit 2: So, GM/RT2483 is replaced by in 2015 by GM/RT2131 which does allow for two headlights and marker lights:

• Daytime 1 or 2 "full-beam" lights, and a mandatory triangle of three* lights.
  • Night time, 2 ‘Dimmed’ head lamps and one top marker lamp.

* Interestingly it appears that if you have two full-beam lights, there should be no marker lights next to them: "with a total of 3 white front end lights"

You learn something every day...

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...

Recently bought and fitted a couple of Illuminated Models kits for upgrading Bachmann 170 Turbostars. I approached the task with some trepidation but the kit as supplied made it so easy. 2x 170s now added to my DCC fleet having languished on a shelf waiting for more than 10 yrs.  Will be ordering more soon… the only thing I would add is that their instructions mention you might need some blue tack to manage light bleed - I would say you do need a fair dollop of blue tack around each fitting but not difficult or expensive to do. No connection but highly recommended. Thanks IM!

• 1 year later...

After ordering 2 sets of the class 170 upgraded lights a few months ago, I placed another order with a few extra bits (over £100) as the initial was easier than expected

4 weeks in Order placed, money taken and NO return communication despite an email over a week ago now

*UPDATE

goods arrived after a second email, shame about the need to after nearly 8 weeks and no explanation, I can now only assume items are made to order? as well as having a busy period? one of those I will order again as products and instructions are easy to follow

Edited by r08j88
update on situation