What is the easiest way to model this?

image.png.aadd82370cc0caeea45f68ce7bae5f58.png

Can anyone offer any suggestion for how I can model this ornate corner feature?  (the shaped concrete bit that is )

The model is OO gauge in card and this feature will be 10mm across (bit bigger than a garden pea).

Fortunately, it will face away from me when the model is positioned, so it will not have to stand up to close scrutiny.  But I did promise the occupant of this building, that he would have pictures, so I want to do the best I can.

I do not have a 3d printer and have never done anything like this before. So do I:

a) Buy a pack of DAS modelling clay, some dental picks and grinding bits for my small power tool?  (Not my preferred option because I would have no use for these items afterwards)

b) Mix some PVA glue and polyfilla, then try to mould it with a toothpick before it hardens?

c) Glue some pieces of plasticard together to form a block, then attack it with a needle file?

Your thoughts, please.

Alan

Something that small i would use plasticene and when done, a thin smear of superglue to hold the shape. Did this with loco domes and they are still holding up well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could make a 3D computer model of the detail and get someone else to print it (lots of people here would be willing to help) or have it printed commercially.

It has simple geometric shapes and measurements can be derived from the brick courses so a computer model shouldn't be that hard to create.

Edited by Harlequin

For what is to be a one off, it strikes me that it would be quicker to create one by hand than it would be to do so by a software-mediated process.

- Carve from solid, maybe a very hard wood, perhaps box, beech, or a bit of an old, good-quality pencil; dental plaster; etc;

- build-up using a combination of thin plasticard and epoxy putty,or using thin card and glue;

- Fimo putty, then bake in the oven (I think I like this one best);

- air-drying clay, probably making a block, then carving, rather than trying shape the clay.

Good morning all.  I have not yet started making this shaped moulding yet; but have decided that I am going to carve it out of plasticard, using needle files and some emery boards bought from the make-up counter.

However, there is now a more pressing show-stopper that I must deal with first...

I need to reproduce the mock Tudor wood framing that embellishes three sides (see photo) and feel that the best way to do this is to overlay the white painted surface with a second layer of card, cut to represent the wood beams and painted.

However, my attempt at cutting the required shape with a scalpel is just not good enough.

Then, looking on the Screwfix website, I found this hole cutter.  The punches will do holes from 2mm to 4.5mm (I need 4.5mm).

I am thinking that by experimenting with overlapping punches, I should get a neater result.

I don't mind buying this tool if it gives me the effect that I want.

Has anyone else tried anything like this before? 

If anyone's interested, this building is a church in Goring.

image.png.591b33fb676af779ceb94c124eef4243.png

Forge Steel Multi-Material 2 to 4.5mm Hole Punch 9.5" (240mm) | Marking & Punching | Screwfix.comhole punch.docx

IMG_2824.JPG