Paint matches for North American Railroads.

JZ

I'm looking around for a colour match to Rio Grande aspen gold. And as we don't have a colour match thread like in the UK section, I thought why not start one. Any make or type.

I'll start this off with;

Rover Coniston Green, sprayed over black is a good match for Pullman green.

Rover Damask Red, or Ford Burgundy Red is a match for Cumbres & Toltec/ old RGS and D&RGW maroon.

Tamiya NATO Brown is good for Boxcar red.

Halfords Red primer for faded Boxcar red.

Ford Dove Grey for MoW grey.

OK, these are relevant to me as a narrow gauge modeller, but there must be many others that will help all you standard gauge people.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Southern Pacific and Cotton Belt (SSW) 

Bloody Nose Livery:  Red: Humbrol 60, Dark Grey: Humbrol 164

Daylight and Halloween Orange: Humbrol 46

Be aware that I have found that although 164 is good for the dark grey, it doesn't always match the seemingly hundreds of different shades of what is supposed to be the same colour from the various RTR manufacturers!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

it doesn't always match the seemingly hundreds of different shades of what is supposed to be the same colour from the various RTR manufacturers!!!

Tell me about it! The D&RGW Aspen Gold is interpreted 3 ways by 3 manufacturers. Varying from yellow to bright orange. And I'm trying to match it to a German makers version.

41 minutes ago, JZ said:

I'm looking around for a colour match to Rio Grande aspen gold. And as we don't have a colour match thread like in the UK section, I thought why not start one. Any make or type.

If someone wants to do the searching to bring it all into one place, over the last 6 months or so there have been at least a couple of requests for paint matches that have resulted in posts about lists that have been compiled (one by Model Railroad Hobbyist) with many paint matches.

My two pennies:

Tamiya Camel Yellow for Santa Fe yellow. 

Revell Lufthansa Blau (with a touch of black) for Santa Fe blue. 

Revell Cascade Green for Burlington Northern green. 

Revell Reddish Brown for pre 1960's boxcar red. 

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For D&RGW Aspen Gold, I am trying Mr Hobby Orange yellow on a grey primer. Watch this space.

Edit.

Still no joy.

Edited by JZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...