New Locolifts for OO & N

woodenhead

Perhaps it will be welcomed by other gauge communities, but for 00 a loco lift that cannot hold a loco isn't something which raises a smile.

For six months I've had orders with two retailers with for the old SL-43 model, and I'm disappointed these are now cancelled. Did PECO deem it necessary to totally expend existing stock before unveiling their new version? Looks like it...

We now have no choice* but to buy a lot of vertical plastic when we're after a useful length of horizontal. Could someone point out the silver lining?

Okay, off to try getting out of the other side of the bed... :)

*Among PECO products. I'm aware that other options are available, thanks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Rails have just mentioned this, a new flexible Peco locolift that will do N as well as OO

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3884-peco-flexi-loco-lift-announced

There will also be a 2 unit set that can be joined together - I wonder how many can be connected, great for short N trains.

This is a welcome development indeed.  I asked Peco a couple of years ago if they intended releasing the loco lift in N, and they said no.

It is good to se ethey have had a change of heart.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Perhaps it will be welcomed by other gauge communities, but for 00 a loco lift that cannot hold a loco isn't something which raises a smile.

For six months I've had orders with two retailers with for the old SL-43 model, and I'm disappointed these are now cancelled. Did PECO deem it necessary to totally expend existing stock before unveiling their new version? Looks like it...

We now have no choice* but to buy a lot of vertical plastic when we're after a useful length of horizontal. Could someone point out the silver lining?

Okay, off to try getting out of the other side of the bed... :)

*Among PECO products. I'm aware that other options are available, thanks.

This version here seems to be the one more suited to replacing the old OO/HO lift, I think:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/44038/peco-pt-61-n-ho-oo-pt-61-flexi-loco-lift-2-unit-set

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see how many you can lash together securely.

I don't my my longer rakes being on track using a lift just for the loco, but my units would be nice if can all be contained.

In OO if you can lash three doubles together that's a B-set and loco or similar.

End doors it appears too so your train is securely held in, which was always a concern with the current lift.

• Agree 1

My solution to the lack of end doors on the old version was to cut a tube of foam pipe insulation into disks, that slotted into the loco lift between the loco and plastic ends nicely and could securely hold a loco, whilst also not damaging it. They simply lifted in and out when needed. This new system seems a bit big and bulky tbh, have to wait and see when it's released. Seems to be like the units are too short for 00 and way too wide for N, they perhaps should have made seperate versions.

Edited by sparky66

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's going to be interesting to see how many you can lash together securely.

I don't my my longer rakes being on track using a lift just for the loco, but my units would be nice if can all be contained.

In OO if you can lash three doubles together that's a B-set and loco or similar.

End doors it appears too so your train is securely held in, which was always a concern with the current lift.

Price TBA - I suspect it will prove a bit steep if you need for three of them

• Agree 2

"modeller can set the gauge according to their needs......... for all those scales between N and OO/HO the versatility of the Flexi Loco Lift will be much appreciated"

Ah ---- the good ol' scale / gauge conundrum ! : is this thing adaptable for scales the same as 00 but of greater gauge - i.e. EM & P4 ? ( let alone any narrow gauge combinations )

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve used the loco lift and the DCCconcepts MPD versions on code 75 without issue. 
The new one seems to be modular so you can connect several together in line. As said above it will be interesting to see how many will connect rigidly. The DCCconcepts 560mpd is a tad too short for a 158 but holds a MPV or 150 ok but they have been out of stock for a while now. 

This is one of my old Peco ones on code75 and I replaced the foam with 4mm strip wood so they can be lifted by the sides and I use plasticard end stops that just sit over the wood. 
E3268545-BC2F-4813-8073-73E8F146CE73.jpeg.d47510e9c24e2d4994f379a0e5d8124b.jpeg

E821D7C5-3E82-446F-9EA5-47555D682C1B.jpeg.f33af7c077bb22b127ac61c3de8eea50.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

I see that you are using Peco code 75 flat-bottom track.  I am using C&L code 75 bullhead track so this might be the problem in getting the loco-lift to sit properly.  I could never understand why Peco opted for foam sides.  Totally useless and usually replaced with something firmer by the users.

Ah that’ll probably be the chairs being deeper. On Lulworth the layout is done with C&L and SMP but the fiddleyard is Peco code 75 as I used their three way point to save room. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I need another dozen of these for my Peco 75 finescale layout and  sadly Peco are no longer making them.  However they do work and my evidence is that there are no second hand or new units to be had anywhere.  The replacement item, the PT60 can be joined together for longer locos (PT-61 is a set of two), but these have not yet been released.  So I though I'll standardise on the DCC concepts MPD system and they are also non existent in the UK.  So I guess I'll have to come up with my own design maybe based on electric trunking. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2021 at 11:26, PaulRhB said:

Ah that’ll probably be the chairs being deeper. On Lulworth the layout is done with C&L and SMP but the fiddleyard is Peco code 75 as I used their three way point to save room. 

I am using C & L code 75 bullhead.

Two ways to deal with this.

a) Have a code 100 track loading area with a 100 / 75 joiners between them - of course off scenic area in the fiddle yard

b) A trick is to lift one end of the cradle - put a 5mm thick plastic spacer under one end and then the copper piece and the track top will not leave the gap at the other end. This method means it can also be used on curved track

Not sure what the new lifts can do. Pity there wasn't some info on this before the design phase. Needs to sit on all tracks. Perhaps the new one will if it can sit on N gauge?

Would also have been good to be wide enough for P4 and EM but perhaps then not enough adjustment available into N?

Dave

Edited by zr2498
Originally had track rubber as used by DCC concepts but too steep. 5mm is enough and not so steep

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2021 at 08:27, deepfat said:

So I guess I'll have to come up with my own design maybe based on electric trunking. 

I made this one for HOm from 50mm plastic trunking. 

19E7DAD5-5AB7-457B-B06A-B262FA6ACCBC.jpeg.747606cfa6cb96c16f4e4e7d69e3505d.jpeg

The track is evergreen strip glued on with plastic weld and adhesive copper tape used for the contact surface. I made a ramp with the same evergreen strip filed to a wedge / ramp and added the tape along that too but that’s buried somewhere. 
1DA6F553-0790-4165-9DE9-BB6D16D78615.jpeg.a10d65082b561674e1b50996014400c3.jpeg

61B877F4-B93A-41FD-AD89-2087B2C63186.jpeg.8bee88eeb70d0a3e4d7560e8a348e13e.jpeg

it would be very tight for OO but it’s very cheap and I added craft foam to the sides with double sided tape. 

65CA733F-190F-44E1-B5BD-0198818D2137.jpeg.2969324f847e479d6625777ce8439b73.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13
  • Round of applause 1

On 31/05/2021 at 21:29, PaulRhB said:

The DCCconcepts 560mpd is a tad too short for a 158 but holds a MPV or 150 ok but they have been out of stock for a while now. 

On 15/06/2021 at 08:27, deepfat said:

So I though I'll standardise on the DCC concepts MPD system and they are also non existent in the UK.  So I guess I'll have to come up with my own design maybe based on electric trunking. 

MPDs are back in stock!

https://www.dccconcepts.com/?s=MPD

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

With due respect, to heck with loco lifts and MPDs, I prefer https://shop.train-safe.de/en/HO/Gauge/H02L/Travel/ which takes the whole train.

Can vouch for that, have got  some walls full of them as can be seen in the distance:

DJM-Cl71-04.jpg.7ac838efe42e34f0f9e1038596fecd5e.jpg

and this (rather grotty) pic:

LUL-S-Stock-004.jpg.d60817584768faa88ff9b6e8ed0d99bb.jpg

Only problem is they are somewhat on the expensive side but you pays your money and you get a quality product.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Marcus Hugh said:

If  any one wishes to sell Peco SL-43

Me too, I only need one. I bought one and trimmed it to 22cm for turning 00 gauge 0-6-0s on the fiddle yard traverser... Just need one more for flexibility to move 4 wagons around that go to the gas works.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jack Benson
On 31/05/2021 at 21:29, PaulRhB said:

I’ve used the loco lift and the DCCconcepts MPD versions on code 75 without issue. 
The new one seems to be modular so you can connect several together in line. As said above it will be interesting to see how many will connect rigidly. The DCCconcepts 560mpd is a tad too short for a 158 but holds a MPV or 150 ok but they have been out of stock for a while now. 

This is one of my old Peco ones on code75 and I replaced the foam with 4mm strip wood so they can be lifted by the sides and I use plasticard end stops that just sit over the wood. 
E3268545-BC2F-4813-8073-73E8F146CE73.jpeg.d47510e9c24e2d4994f379a0e5d8124b.jpeg

E821D7C5-3E82-446F-9EA5-47555D682C1B.jpeg.f33af7c077bb22b127ac61c3de8eea50.jpeg

Paul,

Thanks for posting these images, I found them very useful as I plan to use a loco lift for my new micro layout as a cassette for turning the tiny train of Ruston +two short wagons. I particularly liked your upgrade and will shamelessly copy the idea.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

A recent YouTube video produced by Peco gives a glimpse of product development on existing products and new products to be introduced in the future.

One such new product will be a new design of a Loco Lift

Definitely worth a watch…. 

Terry 

The new loco  lift also looks like you can join more than two together - modular is probably the word.

In N gauge probably more useful than 00 seeing as you'd need two per engine or coach in 00 but certainly more flexible than the old one.

Cost will be the issue, I cannot imagine these being cheap.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1