Hornby 0-4-0 steam crane.

Hi all,

I have seen for sale on Ebay Hornby 0-4-0 steam cranes. I was wondering if any one new if they were converted with kits. Or had been scratch built. if they are conversion kits can some one post the link for them. 

Thanks

40 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have seen for sale on Ebay Hornby 0-4-0 steam cranes. I was wondering if any one new if they were converted with kits. Or had been scratch built. if they are conversion kits can some one post the link for them. 

Thanks

https://sarissa-precision.com/products/steamcrane-rollingstock?_pos=3&_sid=0cfaf2812&_ss=r

Hi all,

That is not the crane I have seen, This is one I have seen. It has been mounted on a Hornby 0-4-0 Pug chassis. Where the crane sits on the front of the boiler and the chimney goes through the centre of the crane.

Hornby-0F-Pug-0-4-0ST-Steam-Crane-Conversion.jpg

• Like 2

So basically O gauge still nice.

I've got a selection of bits collected over the years including a small spud motor bogie an upright boiler and one of the white metal yard crane kits (cant remember the make) 

I'm going to try and marry them all together to build one similar to the crane in the first post in OO 

Many years ago (and were talking 45 years) I built this loose scale model of one of Stanton iron works crane tanks on the chassis of a Hornby Caley pug.

Its still around today in my son's care who has added better valve gear detail and it can still be seen running on his own industrial layout.

20210416_091828.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2021 at 15:43, cypherman said:

Hi all,

That is not the crane I have seen, This is one I have seen. It has been mounted on a Hornby 0-4-0 Pug chassis. Where the crane sits on the front of the boiler and the chimney goes through the centre of the crane.

Hornby-0F-Pug-0-4-0ST-Steam-Crane-Conversion.jpg

I'm going to stick my jib out and say that's a rather unlikely (or at least unusual) arrangement for a crane locomotive. They generally either had the crane mounted amidships - supported on a frame straddling the boiler - or mounted in the bunker (or where the bunker would normally be). A 0-4-0 is already nose heavy with the mass of the cylinder block forward of the leading axle so adding a further load there doesn't make sense from the point of view of stability. Further, a smokebox isn't designed as a load-bearing structure.

I have found photos of three crane locomotives arranged this way. They are all inside-cylinder engines - so the front axle is further forward, in line with the rear of the smokebox, and an evidently heavily reinforced smokebox; in fact they're all Neilson products:

So my conclusion is that if you want a crane-forward crane locomotive, you'll need to go to Neilson's and despite the wee puggie's Glaswegian origins, it won't do.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm going to stick my jib out and say that's a rather unlikely (or at least unusual) arrangement for a crane locomotive. They generally either had the crane mounted amidships - supported on a frame straddling the boiler - or mounted in the bunker (or where the bunker would normally be). A 0-4-0 is already nose heavy with the mass of the cylinder block forward of the leading axle so adding a further load there doesn't make sense from the point of view of stability. Further, a smokebox isn't designed as a load-bearing structure.

I have found photos of three crane locomotives arranged this way. They are all inside-cylinder engines - so the front axle is further forward, in line with the rear of the smokebox, and an evidently heavily reinforced smokebox; in fact they're all Neilson products:

So my conclusion is that if you want a crane-forward crane locomotive, you'll need to go to Neilson's and despite the wee puggie's Glaswegian origins, it won't do.

Hi,

Thanks for those pictures and the info. The crane I showed was one of a couple that been made and had been put on sale at Ebay. I just wanted to know if the crane part was a kit or scratch built. And if a kit which one.

• RMweb Gold

There are two versions of a South East Finecast Neilson kit shown here, in 4mm scale - http://www.crphillips-models.co.uk/srmodelspage5.html

They also appear in their online catalogue http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/New and Revised Loco Kits Page 7.htm . I have lost track of their current trading status.

Roxey Mouldings show one in 7mm scale.

• Informative/Useful 1

SE Finecast are now being sold by Squires Tools.

I have a feeling Neilson did build a saddle tank crane tank. But I think it was the type more like the GER 0-4-0STs rather than the CR/NBR STs. The type with the flat tank tops. The design of which came from contractors engines.

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/neilson-contractors-engine

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/ger-class-209-lner-y5

I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere. Might have been an export though.

Jason

Weird......My friend gave me a damaged "Percy" to do something with, as his stuff is packed for a move and he didn't want to throw it away. Now an 0-4-2, the rear carrying wheels are dummy, so it still negotiates tight, train set curves. The crane revolves 360. Based on a Vulcan design of 1902 and a G.N.R. design of 1876 bashed together, it runs lovely!  (And, i do like the "Lion Works" livery........

20210417_164408.jpg

20210417_164204.jpg

20210417_164308.jpg

20210417_164426.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Londontram said:

Brilliant I especially love the size and position of the jib which means if it derails it can lift its self back on the track!!!

Nothing unusual in that. The snag is, the engine weighs more than the crane's capacity:

image.png.010f3d86e0723f0b8fd8e5094f3b7707.png

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 18:20, 33C said:

Weird......My friend gave me a damaged "Percy" to do something with, as his stuff is packed for a move and he didn't want to throw it away. Now an 0-4-2, the rear carrying wheels are dummy, so it still negotiates tight, train set curves. The crane revolves 360. Based on a Vulcan design of 1902 and a G.N.R. design of 1876 bashed together, it runs lovely!  (And, i do like the "Lion Works" livery........

20210417_164408.jpg

20210417_164204.jpg

20210417_164308.jpg

20210417_164426.jpg

Since given back to my mate as he is selling most of his stuff (except the Triang!) due to a move to a smaller house. Check out you-know where........

Edited by 33C
added detail

13 hours ago, 33C said:

Since given back to my mate as he is selling most of his stuff (except the Triang!) due to a move to a smaller house. Check out you-know where........

Hi 33C,

Found the crane. But the price is a bit rich for me. I have at least 8 of these Pugs, So I will probably scratch build my own.

• Agree 1

Link if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-based-OO-Lion-Works-Crane-Loco-0-4-2-ST-Black-Gold-Livery-one-off-Build/265129649561?hash=item3dbaf56599:g:Y8QAAOSwysBgfYdQ

None of us are selling it so I don't think that's breaking any rules. Besides the eBay Madness thread is full of similar things....

I'm pretty sure most of us could do similar with leftovers and some cogs.

Now if someone made a RTR model or kit for a GWR Crane Tank or the Doxford Tanks* then I would be interested.

*ISTR the kit that was available was too small being closer to H0 scale.

Jason

• Agree 1

On 20/04/2021 at 15:20, Steamport Southport said:

Link if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-based-OO-Lion-Works-Crane-Loco-0-4-2-ST-Black-Gold-Livery-one-off-Build/265129649561?hash=item3dbaf56599:g:Y8QAAOSwysBgfYdQ

None of us are selling it so I don't think that's breaking any rules. Besides the eBay Madness thread is full of similar things....

I'm pretty sure most of us could do similar with leftovers and some cogs.

Now if someone made a RTR model or kit for a GWR Crane Tank or the Doxford Tanks* then I would be interested.

*ISTR the kit that was available was too small being closer to H0 scale.

Jason

Cut down a pug and get the plasticard out!