Bulldog chassis options

• RMweb Gold

I have just picked up a very nicely made white metal Bulldog via Facebook, which is missing a chassis.  One option is a Bachmann Earl, I am expecting it to require significant modification inside the cast boiler to clear the Bachmann mechanism.  Given the boiler and cab have been soldered to the footplate / frame assembly I would rather not try mounting just the boiler / cab onto the Bachmann frames (which had been my original thought).  If anyone has photos of an Earl chassis with the body removed that would be very helpful (and save me having to take mine apart to check).  If a second hand loco can be sourced at the right price, this could be an economical way of doing it (as I am thinking its going to be a fiver or so for a Bachmann City / Earl bogie, £25 for wheels, another £20 for an etched chassis,£30 for motor / gearbox, and the buffers (although I do have plenty of the latter in my parts box)

The other option is an etched chassis, but from an initial search I haven’t found a suitable etched chassis available.  This got me thinking are there any etched chassis available for other classes which match the wheelbase of a bulldog?  My logic being that I could take a 4-6-0 (or whatever) chassis, chop up the frames to just keep the two axles I require.  So I would be interested to hear of anything suitable, otherwise the final option is going to be making my own frames which is a route I would prefer not to go down if at all possible).

The three varieties of Bulldog, Earls, Dukes, Atbaras and Cities all shared the same basic wheelbase - 8'6. As, for that matter, did the Churchward Counties.

Edited by JimC
  • Like 1

Does this help, Rich?

5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

If anyone has photos of an Earl chassis with the body removed that would be very helpful (and save me having to take mine apart to check).  at all possible).

Does this help, Rich?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147726-bodging-a-bulldog/&do=findComment&comment=3684531

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Great Bear said:

Very much so thanks, I had looked at your thread earlier without managing to find that photo...

I think it might be a viable option if I can source a suitable model as a start point.  Once I finish on the TPO I think I will dismantle my dukedog and have a proper look.

if not the branch lines chassis could be a good call

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Worth checking out Alan Gibson milled frames. I think he does a set for a bulldog. 

That was one of my first thoughts, but looking at the catalogue nothing came up when I searched Bulldog so sadly I think not.

Looking at the scrap brass from the TPO kit I have just finished, there are two lengths which are approximately frame sized.  I am thinking about soldering them together, cutting to size and then drilling for two axles to see how I get on.   

Having just looked again at @The Great Bear's photo of the Bachmann chassis, I think the frames are integral with the chassis / motor mount rather than a separate casting as I had hoped.  So it looks like there is no chance of fitting the body/outer frame that I have to the Bachmann chassis without a lot of work.  Which takes me back to either a scratch built sub frame (with Gibson variable length con rods) or the Branchlines kit.

• RMweb Premium

The Gibson frames are just that; a pair of frames.  They are not a kit as such, but can be supplied with axle holes or slots

If its a kit you want then the Branchlines one mentioned earlier would be a good bet.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DLT said:

The Gibson frames are just that; a pair of frames.  They are not a kit as such, but can be supplied with axle holes or slots

If its a kit you want then the Branchlines one mentioned earlier would be a good bet.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers, Dave.

It’s not so much a kit that I’m after, it’s more working out what the frames are actually like.  I am assuming by the Gibson reference to using them with their own horn blocks that it is a set of frames with a full slot milled in the side to clear a hornblock (as e to an etched frame that typically comes with 1/8th inch holes to and a partial or half etched outline to cut out to fit a hornblock.  With no photos it’s not entirely clear.

will certainly post once I get started, a couple of bits went on eBay this evening to hopefully fund the build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...