Comparison reviews. Why not?

steve1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@phil-b259 So when will you be producing this comparison?

You've put the challenge out to the existing magazines to a lukewarm response, you need to put your typing skills to the test and produce an example to demonstrate this.

As each magazine will be pitched slightly differently the actual article would need to be customised to suit.

After all the Sun and the Daily Telegraph share many of the same political beliefs yet how they chose to present them in print varies massively.

I take the point that response on this forum has been lukewarm to downright hostile - but as has been remarked on before it is no obligatory to be a member of RMweb to be a modeller or read model railway magazines. 

Yes some of those negative responses have been from model railway magazine editors but not every magazine editor is a a RMweb member either.

Just because an Internet forum doesn’t like something doesn’t mean it won’t be successful (though I grant neither does that mean it will). On another thread there is much hostility to Hornby - but I doubt they give a monkeys what we think about their changes and they are certainly not going to turn round and drop them because of what gets posted on here!

47 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

As each magazine will be pitched slightly differently the actual article would need to be customised to suit.

After all the Sun and the Daily Telegraph share many of the same political beliefs yet how they chose to present them in print varies massively.

I don't think you need to worry about the pitch or political persuasion of various magazine readers - railway modellers are pretty broad lot and mix from all walks of life, political allegiances, social economic backgrounds and so on.

TBQH I don't think you need to customise the reviews to suit - we're only talking about how models compare. Your best bet is probably to get the broad basics of your comparison article written and let the magazine editors do what they do best and are paid to do - make it readable and edit it to reflect and match their customer base and magazine ethos. And at worst, should there be no takers, you can always 'publish' here on the forum. I'd be interested to read what you come up with.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1