Quick, set fire to the stables!!!

That'll scuttle them blokes with ads

And if we lose Grace Archer

It really won't seem so bad...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2021 at 00:06, KeithMacdonald said:

Surely he's modelling the Felpersham railway line? Change at Hollerton Junction for Ambridge.

Has Eddie Grundy found that buried treasure yet?

image.png.87e39b8b0605d23038919df536841184.png

'Twas a lovely day in Ambridge 

When I set on my way

The weather there was with me

So I'd cycle all the way

I'd cycled down to Herrick

Turned right, and adjusted my cap

And just a little further South

The Road fell off the map 

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

The Archers started out as instructional drama for farming.

Perhaps the intention is to do the same for the Devil's Control Circuitry (cv 666)

As I understand it, the programme specification was "Dick Barton with farming".  They lost the battle with the theme tune. Compare and contrast...

For an alternative take on the DB theme...

Edited by Hroth
Choons...

• RMweb Gold

Can't say I'd heard that before.  Surely the Archers theme tune is Barwick Green from a selection of country music?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barwick_Green

Dick Barton didn't air until 1946 but the country music had been around for yonks before incorporated into a work in 1924.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

As I understand it, the programme specification was "Dick Barton with farming".  They lost the battle with the theme tune. Compare and contrast...

For an alternative take on the DB theme...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've never heard it. Just those few seconds of music before I can find the remote. :prankster:

But I take it there is a serial killer storyline coming up.....

Shouldn't that be a cereal killer?

• Funny 3

21 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Groan!

I'd only seen the name in the newspaper radio listings and thought it would be something like Robin Hood!  :laugh:

That was when I was a kid, still never listened to it and doubtful I will as it clashes with the classic comedy on Four Extra.

46 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

That reminds me, The Archers is still an instructional drama for farming. Roundup, Paraquat and other toxic herbicides may be banned on farms in Ambridge. Organic farming is the way forward. Apart from the Grundies, who can usually be found at the back of the barn, half-inching up-cycling any old stock the rest of the farmers had forgotten about.

Anyone in doubt about the earnestness of the "instructional" aspect should refer to the works of the previous Agricultural Adviser, Graham Harvey. The Killing of the Countryside and The Carbon Fields: How Our Countryside Can Save Britain

• Like 1

I distinctly remember that, in the early sixties, Ambridge had its own railway station, however it fell victim to Dr. Beeching’s axe! 

I also recall that local landowner Charles Grenville tried to raise a petition to try and prevent the closure.  Walter Gabriel had visions of resurrecting it into what would now be referred to as a heritage line.

A plan of the station can be found in Cyril Freezer’s booklet “Plans for Smaller Layouts!”

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, AncientMariner said:

Ambridge had its own railway station

Now recreated in Lego!

https://www.bricksmcgee.com/bricktastic-2016-july-2016/

Ambridge Railway Station in LEGO

2016’s LEGO display layout is the centred around the fictional location of Ambridge railway station (fans of The Archers may recognise this is the name of the village in the radio series).

Bespoke Pacer-style train build

Bespoke LEGO railway station featuring awnings and Victorian-style retaining walls

Custom LEGO road bridge in a traditional UK style

“Ambridge Junction” signal box

Some might say inflicting a Pacer train on them is cruel and unusual punishment. Others might say it is the most realistic part.

Ambridge Railway Station in LEGO, Bricktastic 2016

• Like 1

There is a preserved railway in 

the Archers called the Blackberry line, it’s occasionally mentioned as a place to go for a day out. The map is complete in itself, it’s rare for the  inhabitants to venture off the map and if they do they are usually never heard of again 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

You’re all wrong.

I’ve seen photos of Borchester station and it’s environs. It’s pure LNER/ER. Locos, carriages, wagons not to mention buildings and infrastructure. So it must be a long incursion into the area by the LNER. The GWR must have been spitting feathers ! :D

Edited by D-A-T
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, D-A-T said:

You’re all wrong.

I’ve seen photos of Borchester station and it’s environs. It’s pure LNER/ER. Locos, carriages, wagons not to mention buildings and infrastructure. So it must be a long incursion into the area by the LNER. The GWR must have been spitting feathers ! :D

Obviously a misattribution.  You think the LNER (or whatever pre-grouping stalking horse was involved) would have got past the LNWR and the Midland, let alone the GWR? 

Snowballs and the Infernal Regions spring to mind!  :jester:

Actually, I've been mulling a Minories scheme and have been stuck for a name. The map has possibilities...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium
On 16/04/2021 at 11:48, Philou said:

Hmmm ...... the road numbering on the map is all to pot - eastern UK and Scottish numbers. I thought it was supposed to be 'sort-of' west Midlands/Herefordshire area. The map certainly has a Ledbury/Hereford feel about it.

Yes it appears to have been made by someone who never paid much attention to how road numbering works in the UK.

I find it a little odd that someone would never notice there's a bit of a pattern to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suzie said:

I thought that Pershore was where the archers was supposed to be.

Not according to "The Archers - the first 30 years" by William Smethurst, who succeeded Tony Shryane as producer.  Ambridge embodied bits of many villages, none of them Pershore according to the list in the book. The two villages most often accused of beng the one on which Ambridge was based are Inkberrow and Hanbury.   In 1977 a search was made for a suitable village on whose festivities for the Queen's Silver Jubilee those in Ambridge could be based.  The village chosen then was Ashton-under-Hill and it was in that village that the version of Barwick Green played by the Yetties and used to introduce the Sunday omnibus was recorded.

There are many books about The Archers, only some of which I possess.  It may well be that if you look in one of those you will find a different answer.

Chris   

Edited by chrisf
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 22:30, Hroth said:

Quick, set fire to the stables!!!

That'll scuttle them blokes with ads

And if we lose Grace Archer

It really won't seem so bad...

I remember hearing that!  Showing my age - but I was VERY young at the time.............

And Walter Gabriel wasn't a relation BTW, me old pal, me old beauty.

• Like 1