New Z21 Update

Despatcher

In a moment of what I now see as madness I saw there was a new update for my Z21.Firmware version 1.40 Feb 24 2021. So I downloaded it.

I now cannot programme or read anything on the programme track - there is power there, it is an isolated siding and locos trundle quite happily in an out.

I can just about programme on the main but it takes hours to read and more often does not read anything - the green programming light just comes on and says on until I press the button on the front of the Z21. 

It does say it is the first firmware release for the 10870 Z21 XL Series but it seemed to have updates for my ordinary Z21 too. I think 

Any suggestions, help, anything please? Can I uninstall the update? It was just fine without it. 

I can control everything as before, the locos, the points. I just cannot "talk" to the locos easily! I had just got to the stage of running my locos on my new Gauge O layout I have been building since just before Lockdown 1 too! Well over a year!

What have I done. I need alcohol!!!!

Thanks. Have got Programme on Main back but nothing on the Programme Track apart from power to the loco. As I mentioned it is an isolated siding. Locos happily trundle down it and back, When I try to programme the green programming light comes on and stays locked on but nothing happens. I have to press the button on the front of the Z21 to turn it off. I also lost two points but as they were Cobalts I just had to change the switch to learn mode, operate them, and switch back again. All most off.

You are 100% certain that you have the programming track connected to the correct outputs on the back of the Z21? Also, when you go to programming mode i.e. green light comes on, do all the other locos on the track stop - they should do :)

Z21 Black. Connected to the correct terminals. My track bus is black and red, the programming track wires are grey and orange. It was working perfectly ok before the few minutes it took to do the firmware update. My layout is a decent size end to end but I usually only have one loco trundling when I am programming so I don't know if they all stop. I have had a Z21 for a good number of years now. A big OO Gauge modern image end to end end before this new O gauge, so I am reasonably familiar. Not had anything like this before. However, I shall check all the connections again in the morning. 

I cannot understand why I have power in the programming track siding yet it won't programme. I have tried different locos. I have also tried programming on main for a loco in the programme siding just in case and still got no reading which I now have on the rest of the layout after reset. 
Thanks for suggestions so far. At least the reset has restored PoM! 

The Z21 uses the programming track output as normal track when not in the programming mode which allows you to drive in and out.

when you go into programming mode using the track the only output that remains live is the programming track hence why I asked about other trains. When using the programming track all other locos should stop.

how are you doing the programming? I suggest that you use the app on a pc rather than wired or WiFi multimaus to confirm it isn’t an issue with them.

Just a thought, but if your programming track is connected to the main track mechanically, is the isolation between the two in tact? Often, the 'barrier' in insulating fishplates can be bridged by the rail! Just humour me and try a totally separate piece of track, not mechanically connected to the rest of the layout, as the programming track, please!

I use an iPad for controlling my Z21 and occasionally my iPhone. I have done ever since I had the Z21many years ago. Never had a problem. I will have a play with a separate piece of track later. It was on the list of things I had thought of too. I am also going to check the connections to the programme track and the Z21. 

Thanks.

I am using the new black app, have been since it arrived ages ago. As far as I know, all I have done is installed a firmware update. Before I did it, it was working perfectly, then it wasn't. Just like that to quote Mr Cooper!!

When you are using the App do you use this sequence - 

1. CV Programming,
  2. Manual,
  3. Program Track,
  4. Read CV?

I suggest that you test by reading and writing CV1.

Can you confirm that you are using this Manual choice - I know that this works as I have tested it?

Many thanks for all your suggestions. After a couple of hours faffing this morning, including cutting a piece of track out to get at the insulated rail joiners, I discovered that the problem was a faulty insulated rail joiner! The plastic separator was missing on one rail only, so I have now reinstalled a new piece of track that I had to cut to size and fit. It had been working perfectly ok for a couple of months as the track has been live that long while I was doing scenics etc. For some reason the rail from the programme track decided to touch the rail from the main track bus across the gap at the same time as I installed the firmware update! Just how much of an amazing coincidence is that! 

It has been warm down here in Kent recently and the area where my railway is catches the sun in the afternoon. The track was put down in the cold of Winter, I can only assume that the recent warmth caused the expansion of the 0.5mm or probably much less of each rail yesterday. 

It is working just fine now. I called my Z21 all sorts of names last night but we have made friends again now. I really like it as a controller. I just need to find out if any of the other locos were affected when I was trying to change CVs yesterday and the programming track was half a rail attached to the main track bus! It is a pity the Z21 doesn't shut down or give some sort of warning when that happens as it does when there is a short.

Again, many, many thanks. I really do not know what I would do without this forum. I was assuming I needed a new controller at a cost of about £400 instead of a plastic rail joiner at about 4p! Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sent a query about my problem via the Z21 App to the Roco Fleischman Support Centre on Saturday evening and got a reply this morning which I though was quick. I will share the reply as follows:-

Dear Sir/Madam,
thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

We will gladly try to help you and inform you as follows:

What kind of Z21 are you using?

What kind of mobile device are you using?

What kind of decoder do you want to program?

Please close all other programs in the background. Depending on the layout, the APP requires a lot of memory. If many programs are open, performance problems can arise.

We hope to have helped you with our answer and wish you continued enjoyment with your hobby - model railways.

Kind regards
Your Customer Service Team

I was just quite impressed at the speed of the reply! And the fact I got it in two languages. Do any UK manufacturers do that I wonder? I probably won't improve on the "thermally activated ..."! I like that. I had thought of track hardware malfunction! Not sure how a missing plastic separator in an insulating rail joiner would translate! I'm just glad the problem is solved. Thanks.