Cobbled goods yard

• RMweb Premium

According to my research, I'm finding that sometimes track laid between cobblestones had check rails and other times didn't. What would be the most common in say a goods yard?

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos

I've done similar research and I came to the conclusion that it depended on the railway company and the period. As an illustration, there was a yard in Salford, Irwell Street Yard, that was built by the ELR to it's standard but then extended by the LYR using its standard. The Midland doesn't seem to have often used cobbles, though it did, preferring to use wooden baulks of timber quite often.

The LYR seems to have prefered tram type track, as at Goole, but the LNWR doesn't seem to have bothered with this or check rails as at Liverpool Road Goods.

I get the impression that there was only a national standard set in the early 1920s by the then new Ministry of Transport, but its writ would only have extended to public crossings or publically accessible yards, but I need to check that at TNA when it's open again and I have the time and/or the bee in my bonnet.  

• Thanks 1