Hornby & Triang most powerful model ?

Co-tr-Paul

Simple question really.  Which model can pull the most ?  From the first 1952 models to present day.  On the flat be it 9" or 10" or longer coaches or any type of wagon and any type of axle or wheel.  Any make of track, Just to compliment the best model thread.

Back in the day I had a pair of Hymeks with type 3 motors that could pull everything both myself and friend had !  I know things have come along way since especially with the Dublo Duchess power to weight etc. Just curious as to how things have progressed ...  .

• Like 1

My most powerful loco has to be a 1974, Triang/Hornby, Jinty. She is bog standard but will pull the proverbial....... and climb a 40 degree slope, no trouble. Magnehesion at it's best. :locomotive::locomotive::locomotive:

• Like 2

Original Hornby (Meccano) used to show one of their Deltics pulling a young boy on a trolley.

More realistically, the hauling power of many Triang or Triang-Hornby locos depended on having steel track, where their Magnadhesion feature really came into its own (yes, it did work very well, especially on gradients). Without the steel track, many would simply slip to a halt with moderate loads - plenty of power, not so much traction.

On steel track I never found the load limit for my Triang EM2 or Brush type 2 models, I ran out of coaches first. 

Straying slightly, a friend of mine collects and repairs Graham Farish OO models, and has several variations on their Black 5. We tried one with more and more coaches added, eventually reaching 23 bogie mark 1 coaches from Triang and Lima. That wasn't the limit, however. The problem we had was it was impossible to make smooth starts. This particular Black 5 had an enormous 2-pole motor in the tender, driving through a shaft to the locomotive wheels (no, that's not a misprint or typo - 2-pole), with a dog clutch that worked by centrifugal force. Once the motor was spinning at sufficient speed the dogs would engage with a sudden lurch forward, which, in turn, meant that the coaches nearer the front of the train would pull off the track on the curves. We simply could not keep all of the coaches on the track after 23. The loco could easily have romped away with more, if we had a huge straight-tracked layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have seen a video of a Hornby Class 50 pulling 48 Mk3 coaches. Haven’t seen a similar video of a 60 but they are heavier so chances are they would outperform even the 50. Definitely a contender for the crown. 

If going 'non-Hornby', according to Sam .... it's the ViTrains 37 - heavy with traction tyres as well.

Staying Hornby for me it's a close call between the 50, 56 and 60.

My 56 is such a superb runner, it doesn't even seem to break a sweat ... with anything.

Just this weekend, back to kettles, I lifted out my Crosti - which has a little extra weight, and that certainly pulls more than nearly every other steam locomotive replica I have.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, drgj said:

The original style ex Airfix tender drive class 4f is one of the most powerful model locomotives known to mankind.

Dave

Which would suggest that the ex Airfix Castle, Royal Scot, and Dean Goods which had identical mechs must have been on a par with it.  My contender would be my old Magnadhesion Brush Type 2 on steel rail, though.  My Southern emu power car could pull everything I had, including 6 of the old Rovex style shortie LMS coaches of which my Black Princess could only manage 2, they weren’t the most free running of stock. 

• Like 2