Sector plate bearing

dpgibbons

I'm building a 60cm single road sector plate for a 7mm layout, pivoted at one end. The plate will simply slide through about 30 degrees on the 6mm deep ply baseboard top. I'm wondering how to make a pivot that's more durable and less frictional than a bolt. Any bearing would need to mount flush with the baseboard top.  No doubt there's something suitable out there on eBay but I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas please?   

Thanks. An unsecured M8 threaded bolt is doing a reasonable temporary job, and the plate slides on the baseboard without too much friction. For an improved pivot I'm going to try telescoped brass tubes secured to brass sheet or PCB, which will also allow the plate to be readily removed.   

• RMweb Premium

Formica pads against a Formica arc, lubricated with powdered graphite works well - but don't overdo the graphite it gets every-where. you might try rubbing a 2B (or softer) pencil on the pad surfaces in place of powdered graphite.

Just remember the Formica sheet is a nuisance to cut cleanly and can shatter before it is stuck firmly to the structure.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I'm a bit late to this but:

How about using an M8 captive nut, hammered or screwed into the baseboard with maybe another in the sector plate?

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuBoI2db3PowmBgr2BP  shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTnci3loen3OVzePzj2

Then wind the bolt down through them both, leaving a small gap and fix the bolt to the plate with a nut on top.

The bolt will turn smoothly and accurately in the captive nut in the baseboard and the amount of vertical movement would be tiny for a 30° movement - and that movement is away from the track joints so wouldn't affect them.

(Might need a bit more timber glued underneath to give the captive nut a solid fixing.)

Edited by Harlequin

Thanks for the replies.

The MDF plate slides smoothly on the painted baseboard surface, even with a heavy 7mm loco on board, whilst the friction is enough to hold the plate in place when trains are passing over it. So no need for action there.

I did consider a Tee nut but I think the prongs would not play well with the thin MDF that I'm using.