Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Steve Sharp

wainwright1

One of our club members picked up a post on Facebook advising that Steve Sharp died last Friday 16th April.

The post from his wife of 38 years was quite brief with a few details advising that he lived in Orpington and worked for Southeast Trains. He had apparently studied at St Peter's School, Huntingdon.

Steve had been a familiar sight at many exhibitions in the South East for many years. His speciality was scratch-building locomotives, cranes, coaches and wagons in plasticard, mostly in 7mm, but with occasionally forays into the larger scales and in 00. He always had a good display of his models on show and demonstrated how to build them.

I am sure that that there are many modellers out there who will be able to contribute much more informative details to this obituary.

The sad loss of another great modeller.

God bless.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Steve worked on the railway and I think was in the booking office at Bromley South.  He was a fellow member of the South East Gauge O Group and we last met at our last meeting in February 2020.  Steve had serious health issues and I imagine he was shielding since then.

He was a very good modeller and test built Ace locomotive kits for Bill Ascough.  Steve would give an honest appraisal, whether Bill acted on them .....  Steve built a 'T' class for me, he corrected most of the errors.    Bill

I have known Steve for over 30 years and I would echo all of the previous comments. Steve was often seen at the Erith, Gravesend and Beckenham & West Wickham exhibitions to name but a few. He was a superb modeller in "0" gauge, mostly of Southern and SECR locomotives. At one I saw him at, a few years ago, he had just finished a Ransomes & Rapier steam crane and a SECR in full Wainwright livery. At shows, he was very approachable, a mine of useful information and always good humoured. I last saw him and his wife Sally at one of the Gravesend shows in 2019, he had just overcame a short illness.

My sincere condolences to his wife Sally and family.

Rest in peace Steve.

steve sharp loco.jpg

steve sharp fish.jpg

Steve was an excellent demonstrator at exhibitions, scratch build locos & rolling stock in plasticard. He would greet people with a smile and a friendly insult, before inquiring as to how people were, and how the club was. Unfortunately he had been unwell in recent years but still wanted to do demos at a show, latterly with his wife, who drove him. He will definitely be missed at shows, and on behalf of Tonbridge MRC, we send our condolences to his wife Sally. 

Colin