Supplier of plywood/MDF cut to size?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

It used to be possible to order ply/MDF cut to size, just as long as you paid for a full sheet and a nominal charge per cut. Great for building baseboards.

Move on twenty years and almost every timber merchant has disappeared and customer-based service is but a memory.

Any ideas?

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

I'm fortunate that I still have a proper timber merchant nearby.

They will quite happily cut me a "flat pack" - even with such odd measurements as 2' minus 24mm. (An end inner panel on a 2' wide baseboard using 12mm sides.)

Not cheap, but entirely worth it, as all the cuts are square and straight.

I am a very satisfied customer of Waterloo Timber in Clitheroe.

Guest Jack Benson
14 minutes ago, Dieselbob said:

B&Q will cut to size and the first few cuts are free.

In theory yes, in practice, no.

Thanks

It’s a tricky one, is there any way to ask locally if someone has a track saw and would be prepared to help out? There has got to be a woodworking enthusiast around if only you can find them. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

In theory yes, in practice, no.

Thanks

Not sure why you say that. My local B&Q is very good at cutting ply and MDF, assuming you dont want anything too complex. What they wont do is to produce a baseboard kit for you.

• Agree 3

I’m in the middle on B&Q to be honest.

my local store:

challenge 1: finding a member of staff

challenge 2: getting said member of staff to find person who can operate saw

challenge 3: finding a person who can operate the saw who can cut square and to the dimensions requested

on occasions it has worked out fine but on many occasions I have either given up after waiting 30+ mins or have had wood cut only to find it is miles off dimensions requested or nowhere near square...

recommend checking before leaving if your store is like

mine

Edited by Matt
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Thanks, they are a driveable distance, will give them a try.

Cheers

Give them a ring - I've found them helpful - if a little "traditional"..which frankly is fine by me..

• RMweb Gold

I used a kitchen fitter carpenter as he had the right electric saw gadgets to make it very precise. In fairness, he rented a house from me, so popped round my house for nothing. Half hour job.

• RMweb Gold

No issues with B&Q.  Mine is very accommodating. Just go with clear plan and measurements. Last time I had wood cut was two weeks ago.  Spot on. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m in the middle on B&Q to be honest.

my local store:

challenge 1: finding a member of staff

challenge 2: getting said member of staff to find person who can operate saw

challenge 3: finding a person who can operate the saw who can cut square and to the dimensions requested

on occasions it has worked out fine but on many occasions I have either given up after waiting 30+ mins or have had wood cut only to find it is miles off dimensions requested or nowhere near square...

recommend checking before leaving if your store is like mine

You forgot:

challenge 4:  finding a section of wood that isn't buckled to begin with... 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I don't drive, so have to have full sheets or lengths of timber delivered, usually from Jewson or Travis Perkins. I then cut it up my self, a struggle at times. Problem is a full sheet or length of this or that is always more than I need.  It would be nice to find someone local to Nottingham who would could cut and deliver - I keep looking, but can't find any one.  

Tony

I use a local "kitchen and shop fitter" supplier. They supply decent birch ply as well as other timber and plastic materials and charge by the sheet and per cut. I have also just discovered that an nearby acquaintance has a fully equipped workshop with a table saw, bandsaw, etc. :yahoo:

I wouldn't use ply from any of the DIY warehouses, it isn't good enough in terms of stability and finish. I get my PAR timber from B&Q but usually have to spend some time picking out  decent straight stuff.

Arnold Laver have quite a few branches spread out across the country, and they most certainly are "a proper timber merchant" - just a very big one.

They do cut to size, and they mean to size, not like a Big Shed DIY store who will "lop a bit off"

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Arnold Laver have quite a few branches spread out across the country, and they most certainly are "a proper timber merchant" - just a very big one.

They do cut to size, and they mean to size, not like a Big Shed DIY store who will "lop a bit off"

Didn't Arnold make his brother Rod's tennis rackets ? 

On 19/04/2021 at 19:42, Gilbert said:

Give them a ring - I've found them helpful - if a little "traditional"..which frankly is fine by me..

They can also cut out specific shapes using their CNC router. You can design your own baseboard kit on cadds and get them to supply the pre-cut parts. I did some kitchen shelves several years ago and they fitted together perfectly.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1