Trackbuilding parts and advice for WCML layout in P4

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

This question comes from a friend who is not particularly computer literate and doesn't do forums or Facebook!  After a few years of running a small layout modern image (early 1990s) end to end layout, he has decided to move up to a slightly bigger plan that would portray an imaginary location but based a on the WCML between Warrington and Preston in the same period, the big change being that he has decided to jump in and go P4.

I don't want to get into the why's and wherefores of that decision as it isn't mine, its his and having already converted one locomotive, he seems quite happy (perhaps determined!) to continue.  The track layout will be a fairly simple four track with  a double track junction on the 'slows' and a crossover from the Up Fast to Up Slow and Down Fast to Down Slow, plus a couple of sidings.  The hidden sidings will be a different matter with some complex paintwork required to get in and out of them.

However, he has a few questions that I felt the wide range of knowledge on rmWeb may be better placed than me to help with:-

a) track work will be handbuilt, but I suspect that in the early 1990s, the plain line would have been concrete sleepers with the paintwork possibly the same if it had been recently renewed.  Can anyone confirm? Looking at pictures its definitely flat bottomed.

b) Does anyone (Scalefour Group or otherwise) do any concrete sleepers that you can use for paintwork/plain line?  What is the best code rail to use for flat bottom P4.  I am sure some body, Colin somebody? used to do some concrete sleepers but they don't appear to be available any longer, at least I cannot find them searching around.

c) Can anyone suggest anyone who produces plastic or resin models of the various trackside cabinets/point motors etc.  Having not modelled in 4mm for a fair few years, I am not best placed to answer his questions on who does what!

Thanks in advance for any help, I'll pass the info on and report back!

Cheers

Rich

I am pretty certain that Scalefour Stores sells the Exactoscale fastracks concrete sleeper bases and associated FB code 82 rail. These should be perfect for the running lines but for pointwork he will probably need to fall back to timber construction. Not so bad, in the 90s concrete bearers for pointwork was pretty new and only newly relaid junctions would have them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help and reply.

A friend has been able to check the Scalefour shop and they are showing Exactoscale concrete sleeper bases but its showing OO gauge rather than P4, which is only shown for the bullhead rail option.  I suspect my friend may need to drop the ScaleFour shop chap an email and find out what is what in that respect.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

You can get P4 concrete sleeper bases from the Scalefour stores item:-

4FT103A    P4 gauge concrete sleepers for BH rail (Exactoscale), and you can also purchase the code 82 flat bottom rail required.

That is as long as you are a member, but then if you are building to P4 standards joining the scalefour society is well worth while anyway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This item,

4FT103A P4 gauge concrete sleepers for BH rail (Exactoscale) £8.50 1.95 meters

Has a typo in that the BH should be FB, I was puzzled by the listing and have checked. Both the 00 and P4 Fastrack concrete bases are for FB rail. The rails just slide in so you have flexitrack in minutes.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveCornford said:

You can get P4 concrete sleeper bases from the Scalefour stores item:-

4FT103A    P4 gauge concrete sleepers for BH rail (Exactoscale), and you can also purchase the code 82 flat bottom rail required.

That is as long as you are a member, but then if you are building to P4 standards joining the scalefour society is well worth while anyway 

47 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

This item,

Has a typo in that the BH should be FB, I was puzzled by the listing and have checked. Both the 00 and P4 Fastrack concrete bases are for FB rail. The rails just slide in so you have flexitrack in minutes.

Thanks chaps, that's cleared that up. I though concrete sleepers for bullhead rail sounded wrong, but just assumed that was a gap in my knowledge!  Yes, I have suggested he joins the ScaleFour Society, which I believe he's going to do.

C&L sell 4mm scale DowMac sleepers, and ST bases, these are for P/S4 and EM gauge

Peco sell concrete bases quited as 00/EM/P4, but they are 32mm long

Check that the stores sell code 82FB, I believe one of the stores has gone over to code 83, C&L still sell code 82fb 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Concrete turnout bearers are usually used for a standard range of turnouts where the main track is straight anything that is custom built uses timbers. I had the good fortune to visit York which the PWI organised, the station had just had a major relay with massive rationalisation, the South end switch and crossing work was all on concrete bearers, whereas the North end was all on timbers, because of the curved junctions.  It's one helluva a view from the roof.

• Like 2