Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David Smith (DLOS)

sir douglas

just heard the news on another forum that David (DLOS) has just passed away, he had already posted recently of his physical ability declining and not able to do much modelling anymore but was a shock to hear this so soon

just like many, i was always following his work starting with his complete rebuild of an Ixion Hudswell clarke and more recently the Lambton-facation of a Minerva Victory

https://www.davidlosmith.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Very sad news it came to quickly. The hobby has lost one of its best. He will be missed by all those who have got to know him over the years. And my thoughts are with his nearest and dearest at this time.

RIP 

Marc

• Agree 3

I knew David through the Bletchley Area of the HMRS.  His is indeed a sad loss.  I understand that once he decided to enter the hospice the end came swiftly, which is a blessing of sorts.  RIP DLOS.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators

I was trying to wrack my brains for David's username when I heard of his death. We met up several times at a mutual friend's layout and he was always such a nice chap in addition to being a superlative modeller. Feast your eyes on this collection https://www.davidlosmith.co.uk/railwayengineeringmodels.htm

RIP.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to meet David quite regularly at Llandrinio for the Borders MRC running days.

We would spend a lot of time chatting about lathe and mill work.  Usually it would be me asking the question and David providing the answer.

It was always a delight to see him as he was always charming, pleasant and very helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is truly saddening to hear of David's passing. He was hugely supportive of me during my brief 7mm stint, offering useful advice and guidance. 

Almost second to none in the quality of his model making and machine shop ability. One of my favourite lines that so accurately illustrates this, is from the LMS Jubilee build log:

"Of course, I could have bought castings (for £5, but I am not sure how many this is for) but I needed three pairs in all and I needed two pairs straight away, so I turned and milled them from brass rod." 

Rest easy DLOS. You will serve as a constant source of inspiration. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...