Tom Cruise filming mission impossible 7 on NYMR

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium

Based on this clip I’d say this is a strong contender for inclusion in the Hornby 2022 range!

2x Railroad 66s - check!

Container flats - got some ancient Triang mouldings knocking around somewhere!

Wagon Lits coaches that were on the cover of the 2018 catalogue - ooh maybe, just maybe!

Recycled tender drive Britannia rebranded for the Steampunk range - obviously!

They could probably even get away with a 1:87 scale Tom Cruise :)

I just hope Rapido haven’t already secured the rights...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, muddy water said:

To drive the train. If they are filming in the cab of the steam engine there will be no room for the real crew. Also at a different location it will be pushed off a bridge...!

No sorry I meant why 66s and not something the railway has?

Shame the 66s aren't being pushed off a bridge! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, muddy water said:

To drive the train. It is a stage prop. If they are filming in the cab of the steam engine there will be no room for the real crew. Also at a different location it will be pushed off a bridge...!

Darlton Quarry in Derbyshire.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

It's a bit surprising that they are going to the expense of doing the train crash stunt for real instead of CGI.

Paul

Possibly cost and almost certainly so they don't have people like me in twenty years time pointing out how old fashioned the CGI looks.  

CGI dates very quickly, realistically filmed sequences don't. Watch the first of the Star Wars prequels to see what I mean. Looked fantastic when it first came out and was even Oscar nominated, but parts of it looks like a poor quality computer game now.  :gamer:

By it's nature these films need big box office takings, but need to still be relevant in forty years time so they still make money by being shown on SKY, Netflix, etc.

A lot of those movies that are CGI heavy are going to need costly revamps at one point. Just to make them more palatable for modern audiences.

Jason 

• Like 2

On 24/04/2021 at 17:10, birdseyecircus said:

It's a bit surprising that they are going to the expense of doing the train crash stunt for real instead of CGI.

Paul

I think it's because Cruise prefers practical effects on his films, that's why he's often doing the mad stunts for real.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I think it's because Cruise prefers practical effects on his films, that's why he's often doing the mad stunts for real.

Supposedly he's also going to do some filming on the International Space Station, although not for a future Mission Impossible.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 11:12, russ p said:

Shame the 66s aren't being pushed off a bridge! 

Not enough locos (37 is undergoing repairs), plus the line is currently blocked between Grosmont and Goathland due to a landslip. Plus it's probably easier to have a couple of dedicated locos and GBRf crews at the film company's beck and call. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Tom Cruise has considerable influence regarding the MI franchise, both financially and during production.  

It kind of reminds of the film “Airplane” and the clip of the poster “Rocky++++++” with a withered old man wearing a pair of boxing gloves.  Are we going to see something similar with Tom Cruise in MI 61 in a Zimmer frame :P:P:P 

Edited by jools1959

On 24/04/2021 at 11:12, russ p said:

Probably the insurers for the film don't want to insure a historic / vintage loco for the duration of it's use.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Probably the insurers for the film don't want to insure a historic / vintage loco for the duration of it's use.

Simon

They are using historic infrastructure to run it on 

• RMweb Premium

Footage of the ‘Euro Britannia’ film prop loco making its way through the streets of Pickering earlier:

Amazing what you can knock up in a shed within a lathe and enough balsa wood! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I passed the loco and tender on a pair of low loaders on the motorway probably about 6 months ago and although I was within a few feet of it, I couldn't tell if it was a "dressed up" Britannia or a total fake. It was very convincing. Are the whereabouts of both "real" Britannias accounted for or might there be a real one dressed up for some shots plus a newly made prop for the film, for destructive purposes?

• Like 1