Tom Cruise filming mission impossible 7 on NYMR

birdseyecircus

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I believe some of the earlier filming was in Norway and the loco was first seen here having come from there. It would have probably been spotted heading over there if built here so I'd say the likelihood is that it originated from Europe.

It was first seen being tested on the GCR at Loughborough having been built by a UK special effects company, whose name currently escapes my memory.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I would have expected more of a boiler explosion on impact. 

That will probably be added in as CGI later, but for the practical effects it's a lot safer not to have a big explosion.

Al.

• Like 1

What puzzles me is that the "prop" was clearly built to look like a UK locomotive but with differences like the vallences & smoke deflectors - if thay wanted a european looking locomotive why not base the prop on one ?

Or, was there a change of location/plan one the prop was complete or nearly complete ?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, SamThomas said:

What puzzles me is that the "prop" was clearly built to look like a UK locomotive but with differences like the vallences & smoke deflectors - if thay wanted a european looking locomotive why not base the prop on one ?

Or, was there a change of location/plan one the prop was complete or nearly complete ?

Guess here, but are there any scenes which also use the real thing, modified, so would require a prop to match?

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 18:39, Steamport Southport said:

Possibly cost and almost certainly so they don't have people like me in twenty years time pointing out how old fashioned the CGI looks.  

CGI dates very quickly, realistically filmed sequences don't. Watch the first of the Star Wars prequels to see what I mean. Looked fantastic when it first came out and was even Oscar nominated, but parts of it looks like a poor quality computer game now.  :gamer:

By it's nature these films need big box office takings, but need to still be relevant in forty years time so they still make money by being shown on SKY, Netflix, etc.

A lot of those movies that are CGI heavy are going to need costly revamps at one point. Just to make them more palatable for modern audiences.

Jason 

There are exceptions. The original 2001 still looks good, apart from the rather naff "ape-men" which were remarked on at the time. The gloriously cheesy "computer graphics" defy ageing!