SE Finecast

ScRSG

• RMweb Premium

Try email, I get the impression they are working out what they have got. I have asked to order various spare parts and got an email back saying they would come back to me. There is of course the added bonus of covid and people not being able to work normally.

• Informative/Useful 1

I rang this morning and got an answer. They are under new management although with continuity from the previous operation. The website is a priority to update but apparently the previous operators have lost the password for administering it so it may mean a new site being created.

Edited by andyman7

As I understand it, SEF was purchased by Squires but may/will operate as a separate entity. They have also purchased Stevenson Carriages and Millholme  from Paul Barker. A new website would seem a logical move to combine marketing both ranges. The proprietors of both ranges are still available to provide information and advice if asked, unlike other ranges such as ABS, Perseverance, Westward, etc.

I believe several other producers used SEF for contract work and this has left them in a difficult position.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I believe several other producers used SEF for contract work and this has left them in a difficult position.

The same applies to NMRS following the death of Graham Jones earlier this year as he also did contract casting for others.

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Agree 1

I happened to have a day out on the South Coast yesterday, and found myself in Squires, and there were at least 5 staff in the shop, so I don't think COVID staffing is the source of communication problems, however I do understand from friends in the trade, that some of Squires decisions about who would actually do the casting, ruffled some feathers, so the transition might not have been as smooth as it could have been.

Jon

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

As I understand it, SEF was purchased by Squires but may/will operate as a separate entity. They have also purchased Stevenson Carriages and Millholme  from Paul Barker. A new website would seem a logical move to combine marketing both ranges. The proprietors of both ranges are still available to provide information and advice if asked, unlike other ranges such as ABS, Perseverance, Westward, etc.

Jon

I understand the NuCast Partnership have their own casting machine(s) or facilities

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Jon

I understand the NuCast Partnership have their own casting machine(s) or facilities

It wasn't only w/m casting that SEF did, they also vac formed plastics and did contract work for at least two other suppliers.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/04/2021 at 11:50, Re6/6 said:

The number to call is 01243 842525. I've just placed an order with a very helpful member of (Squires) staff.

All would seem to be well now.

Tried that one - no reply.

Tried the other again - no reply.

Emailed to the new address per their advert in BRM (www.sefinecast.co.uk) - surprise, surprise - no reply.

I am trying to get them to sell me something, but I fear I may have to look elsewhere.

Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

Placed an order for a Q Class chassis over the phone  last week, and was told it would go in the post later that day.  It wasn't available in their Ebay shop, and that was significant as it turns out, because when I chased the order on Monday I was told that it was in fact out of stock.  The helpful lady that took my order has promised me an e-mail with an ETA.

Am tempted to go with the 4F chassis for my Crownline Airfix 4F conversion, but there's the tantalising possibility that the Q Class chassis kit will have a backhead in it to upgrade the Bodyline loco kit it is intended for - just like the SEF U and N Class chassis kits do! 

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2021 at 14:47, ScRSG said:

Tried that one - no reply.

Tried the other again - no reply.

Emailed to the new address per their advert in BRM (www.sefinecast.co.uk) - surprise, surprise - no reply.

I am trying to get them to sell me something, but I fear I may have to look elsewhere.

Sorry.

I had to chase 3 times to an email to get a response, hopefully just teething troubles.

38 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I had to chase 3 times to an email to get a response, hopefully just teething troubles.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid I had to order from elsewhere to obtain   what I wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

After my third e-mail I got a sympathetic reply offering to find out what had gone wrong with my order, but after another week had passed I phoned just after nine and the boss answered.  The real problem was that I had ordered FC-106 for the Q Class, when it had been replaced by the generic chassis kit FC-202, but this wasn't at that point reflected in Squires' systems.  No doubt some poor soul was trying to work out how to get an obsolete kit back into stock for me to have one.  Not only is my FC-202 chassis winging its way to me, but Squires had the 7mm Long Life bit in stock that I needed for my Weller 75W soldering iron and generously cut me a deal on the two items.  It seems that Weller have dropped their UK distributors and that is why Weller bits are out of stock everywhere here.  Good recovery by Squires/SEF and happy customer again.

• Like 4

I have been putting off using Squires for some SEF spares for a while, just thought they would not be as accommodating as Dave Ellis and it would be a hassle. 

How wrong I was, I phoned in an order for some etchings yesterday (Friday) morning, the order was taken but I had to wait for a price, mid afternoon I had a phone call with a figure, which I duly accepted. Arriving in the post this morning (Saturday) are the items. What a great service

A very big thank you to Melanie who was not only very helpful but exceptionally efficient. Thank you very much to all at Squires, will be using your services again

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I did email an enquiry a few weeks back and got a reply saying they were assembling the kit I wanted that week - have chased a couple of times since with no response. I shall try calling (when I've been paid - I've spent the money I put aside for it :D)

• Friendly/supportive 1

How do I find a listing of what Squires are producing in the former SEF range. I can't find anything on the Squires website, and I've searched ebay but only occasional items are put on there. Do they have a webpage in the style of the old SEF one that lists everything?

Stewart

3 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

How do I find a listing of what Squires are producing in the former SEF range. I can't find anything on the Squires website, and I've searched ebay but only occasional items are put on there. Do they have a webpage in the style of the old SEF one that lists everything?

Stewart

I think they are still using the old website for now.

Notice the home page now has Squires address on it.

South Eastern Finecast, 100 London Road, Bognor Regis, West Sussex, PO21 1DD.

Telephone: 01243 842525

Email: sales@sefinecast.co.uk

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/

Jason

Stewart

As far as I can remember Squires have taken over the SEF website, its a bit old fashioned and not up to some more modern sites but has all the information that was available from SEF

The Price List gives a break down of stock items

In the past if you wanted a spare part(s) for locos you requested a parts list for that loco and either ordered it via post or phone. I used a parts list supplied by Dave prior to the transfer of business and simply phoned my order.

The person I spoke with stated she was in the process of cutting up the etches, may be they have been restocking the range

Just give them a call, I found them very helpful 

41 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think they are still using the old website for now.

Notice the home page now has Squires address on it.

South Eastern Finecast, 100 London Road, Bognor Regis, West Sussex, PO21 1DD.

Telephone: 01243 842525

Email: sales@sefinecast.co.uk

Jason

Ah thanks. I'm familiar with the old SEF website, and can work my round it ok. Strange they make no mention of it anywhere though. I was suspecting that the range was basically on hold, out of production, until items were announced, and that seemed to be in their ebay shop.

Stewart

Interesting Thread.  I too had delayed placing an order because of the ownership change.  Three days ago I sent an e-mail re a N7 chassis and sending it to Canada.  No response at all so far.  Will give it a few more days to see what happens.

11 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Ah thanks. I'm familiar with the old SEF website, and can work my round it ok. Strange they make no mention of it anywhere though. I was suspecting that the range was basically on hold, out of production, until items were announced, and that seemed to be in their ebay shop.

Stewart

Stewart

In this thread there has been replies stating Squires has taken over the range and is selling the items, I guess like all things the IT side will follow and why not use the existing site if it is known and used by existing customers. I do think we should be a bit patient with both the business and its employees, Dave knew the business inside and out, I assume it will take some time for Squires to be in the same position

10 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Interesting Thread.  I too had delayed placing an order because of the ownership change.  Three days ago I sent an e-mail re a N7 chassis and sending it to Canada.  No response at all so far.  Will give it a few more days to see what happens.

I think you have two things causing an issue, firstly the change of ownership secondly the change in sending items abroad even though nothing has changed sending to Canada. Some times a phone call speeds things up, being abroad makes this difficult

• RMweb Premium

Another thread where so many seem to not understand the complexities of small businesses being taken over and having to rearrange stuff and want everything yesterday. 

Patience is a virtue; adopt it.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Another thread where so many seem to not understand the complexities of small businesses being taken over and having to rearrange stuff and want everything yesterday. 

Patience is a virtue; adopt it.

Spot on! We rely on tiny, often one person, set ups who themselves are enthusiasts. Give the guys a break!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Round of applause 1