SE Finecast

ScRSG

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Another thread where so many seem to not understand the complexities of small businesses being taken over and having to rearrange stuff and want everything yesterday. 

Patience is a virtue; adopt it.

P

Seeing the issues Phil had with C&L opened my eyes, just the shear volume of items must be a real headache on its own.

As I said top marks for service, given the circumstances far above what I anticipated.

• Like 1

Is it a small one man operation though? Or a fairly major retailer and distributor of mainly tools, electronics and craft materials that sells a few items of model railways?

Yes, give them time over the kits and some leeway over restrictions due to Covid.

But in this instance I don't think the "they're only a one man outfit doing it for fun" applies. It's a commercial organisation.

One man operations don't have catalogues that are more like the Argo catalogue!

You can browse the catalogues here. 

http://www.squirestools.com/catalogues.htm

I've been a customer for years, but mainly for tools and other bits. In the past their prices for model railway stuff has been on the steep side. But you know the tools are going to be quality.

Maybe if you are on Facebook, give them a Direct Message or whatever it's called. I find some companies reply quicker on social media than they do using the old methods.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Plastic-Manufacturer/South-Eastern-Finecast-103233728663421/

https://www.facebook.com/Squires-Tools-231674303665463/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 27/06/2021 at 08:11, hayfield said:

Stewart

In this thread there has been replies stating Squires has taken over the range and is selling the items, I guess like all things the IT side will follow and why not use the existing site if it is known and used by existing customers. I do think we should be a bit patient with both the business and its employees, Dave knew the business inside and out, I assume it will take some time for Squires to be in the same position

I think you have two things causing an issue, firstly the change of ownership secondly the change in sending items abroad even though nothing has changed sending to Canada. Some times a phone call speeds things up, being abroad makes this difficult

I messaged Stewart and spoke with Squires, seems perhaps they don't realise the SEF email system is still active. Anyway I received an item I ordered yesterday this morning, Stewart spoke and had an email reply from Squires, for me excellent service yet again, and hopefully for Stewart hiccup sorted 

• Like 1

I also have an outstanding order for kit parts and spoke to Stewart yesterday. It seems that they are a little overwhelmed in dealing with the large amount of materials involved. Apparently, the moulds are not marked with what is in them and some of them are composite, including parts for more than one kit. It seems that Dave Ellis kept all the details about them in his head rather than written down on paper. They hoping to get everything checked and marked soon which should get everything onto an even keel in the not too distant future.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 11 months later...
13 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi

Almost a year since the last posting, has anyone managed to successfully do business with the new owners recently? 

I ask as my order for a T9 etched chassis is still unfulfilled and emails are unanswered.

Thanks

Jack

I have bought nothing for 6 months, but back then I phoned up, placed an order and paid for it. It arrived within 2 days if not the next day. I was quite surprised given the odd comment posted. It might be worth a phone call as it sounds like something has slipped through the net  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Jack

I have bought nothing for 6 months, but back then I phoned up, placed an order and paid for it. It arrived within 2 days if not the next day. I was quite surprised given the odd comment posted. It might be worth a phone call as it sounds like something has slipped through the net  

You must have been in luck with the parts in stock. My conversation with the owner in February was very much don't expect any of your order for at least 18 months. For anyone who may wonder if they were complicated parts it was things like 4f running plate, cab front, I3 dome and chimney etc. 

Sadly they are the only place to get the bits needed from. So far my order has been with them for 12 months !

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

You must have been in luck with the parts in stock. My conversation with the owner in February was very much don't expect any of your order for at least 18 months. For anyone who may wonder if they were complicated parts it was things like 4f running plate, cab front, I3 dome and chimney etc. 

Sadly they are the only place to get the bits needed from. So far my order has been with them for 12 months !

Etches, one I bought a poster a few days earlier stated they were quoted 3/4 weeks delivery, strangely mine arrived max 2 days later if not by return

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Etches, one I bought a poster a few days earlier stated they were quoted 3/4 weeks delivery, strangely mine arrived max 2 days later if not by return

Let's hope then this means they are making progress and things will improve more quickly than was said in February. Hopefully by other comments they might be improving on emailing which the owner said 'were a waste of time answering' 

• Agree 1

On 29/06/2021 at 14:25, wainwright1 said:

I also have an outstanding order for kit parts and spoke to Stewart yesterday. It seems that they are a little overwhelmed in dealing with the large amount of materials involved. Apparently, the moulds are not marked with what is in them and some of them are composite, including parts for more than one kit. It seems that Dave Ellis kept all the details about them in his head rather than written down on paper. They hoping to get everything checked and marked soon which should get everything onto an even keel in the not too distant future.

All the best

Ray

Sorry, I should have updated. I did get all the bits that i ordered after just over a year of ordering.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

Just had a phone call to confirm that the T9 chassis etch, cab roof and front step are now ready.  These were ordered back in October to replace the parts I borrowed from my own kit to complete the Beaminster Road T9.  Squires had the good sense to check that they were still wanted - and they are!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just browsing the SEF website which does not seem to have been revised lately, ie mention of Portescap motors in the information page on motors (I suppose there may be a few lying around unused!).  However I presume the price list is up to date?

17 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Just browsing the SEF website which does not seem to have been revised lately, ie mention of Portescape motors in the information page on motors (I suppose there may be a few lying around unused!).  However I presume the price list is up to date?

Jeff

I just think this part has not been updated, I guess most of the instructions are still the same, all the effort must be going into getting the range fully stocked and integrated into their system. Lets face it the website has been the same for years and has not changed

For some either like me (I have 2 unused) having the odd one or others still happy to buy them online for a kings ransom it is relevant. However there are some gearboxes now available which are just as big, though motors do seem to be getting smaller unless you go for one of the expensive European makes

• Informative/Useful 1