TCS decoder Trouble

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

Just purchased a loco that was DCC Fitted by the previous owner - hard wired a TCS T1. Although I havnt had any before, they've got a good rep, so I thought I'd keep it. 

Trouble is, I can't seem to change the address! The loco responds to address 3, but every time I try to change the address it just ignores it. Reading the TCS manual, it says there's a lock (cv15) which I have set to zero, but that doesn't solve it. I've also tried a factory reset of cv8 but no joy.

I'm using a Bachman Dynamis by the way, if that has any bearing.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Probably, never had a problem with programming ,a TCS T1, usua!!y with a SPROG and jmri or len z,  so maybe the dynamis?

It might be., although it worked fine last week when I was programming my Hornby J36 TTS loco. So I fired up my SPROG (I dont use it that often), and now I'm having problems with that! 

30 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Sounds like a long address is set in the loco, have you checked CV29?

The Dynamis cant read back, so I've set CV29 to 6 to force the short address. No joy. I've also tried a factory reset, setting CV 8 to 2, as per manual. No joy. 

John I have changed CV1 on a TCST1 without a problem on the main as I have found that when they get stuck on 3 it’s the only way to reset the chip. I have had 4 with this problem and all have been reset on the main. I use my Gaugemaster P2 for this as my Z21 that’s for my layout says that there is no chip on the track! The P2 is in my workshop attached to my test track and although it has a few odd quirks I use it when setting up my locos.

Hope this helps, regards Mike 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, mikeg said:

John I have changed CV1 on a TCST1 without a problem on the main as I have found that when they get stuck on 3 it’s the only way to reset the chip. I have had 4 with this problem and all have been reset on the main. I use my Gaugemaster P2 for this as my Z21 that’s for my layout says that there is no chip on the track! The P2 is in my workshop attached to my test track and although it has a few odd quirks I use it when setting up my locos.

Hope this helps, regards Mike 

Thanks Mike - maybe its not that problem then. Because it never seems to hold the address even when I put it into CV1 directly. 

John I think that the decoder could be locked as I have one that will not change from the 4 figure address and I was told to change a CV in the 200 range but can’t find the exact number, I think it’s 257 but my TCS manual pages only go up to 254. It might be worth having a word with John at TCS I have found him very helpful in the past. I have now standardised on Zimo decoders having found them very good for slow running and the quality of sound.

Hope you can get it sorted.

regards Mike 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mikeg said:

John I think that the decoder could be locked as I have one that will not change from the 4 figure address and I was told to change a CV in the 200 range but can’t find the exact number, I think it’s 257 but my TCS manual pages only go up to 254. It might be worth having a word with John at TCS I have found him very helpful in the past. I have now standardised on Zimo decoders having found them very good for slow running and the quality of sound.

Hope you can get it sorted.

regards Mike 

Thanks Mike, I might have been looking at the wrong manual, as I've tried CV 15 to lock/unlock the decoder.