Book on building metal wagon kits?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

I have been asked for a ‘book on metal wagon kits’, to be given as a retirement present.

all I can find are the MORILL Iain Rice books, neither of which mention metal.

Any suggestions, please?

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi and thanks Jason,

I have the relevant volume but not over impressed, hence the request. However, this has just appeared on our group’s FB page

Iain Rice Missenden tutorial

Never encountered this particular website until now, it seems very interesting.

StaySafe

Hmmm, I cannot honestly think of a book dedicated to metal wagons. 

Rice has done books on most aspects of modelling; plastic wagons, plastic locos, whitemetal locos and brass locos.  His Etched Brass Chassis Construction is well worth having.

I think Geoff Kent's 3 volume set on 4mm Wagons is very good.  However, IIRC, all the subjects are plastic.

In general, you cannot beat the Wild Swan range of modelling books.  Trouble is, by now, most are out of print so you need to hunt them down.

Wagons tend not be very complicated, I think if you are comfortable soldering (I assume you mean etched brass/NS), you should be able to build one into a pleasing model. 

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

10 hours ago, brossard said:

I think Geoff Kent's 3 volume set on 4mm Wagons is very good.  However, IIRC, all the subjects are plastic.

Mostly plastic - there's the odd whitemetal and etched kits in there. I certainly remember copying his build of an ABS whitemetal open. 

3 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

You should be able to find both for well under a tenner. About their worth TBH.

Very basic and the George Dent one, which is the better of the two, is more or less rehashes of articles from magazines. 

If you look at the "Take A Look Inside" on Amazon then it shows you what they are like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kit-Building-Railway-Modellers-Rolling/dp/1847974848

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Gauge-Wagons-Model-Railways/dp/1847979831/ref=rtpb_8?pd_rd_w=Brxtc&pf_rd_p=5a5e3976-5d4e-46fd-b875-6aae78355b0a&pf_rd_r=KDXTSPSTFE9XEVBAM8WS&pd_rd_r=0cf02208-ff02-485e-b832-58ada6841321&pd_rd_wg=Xg4fS&pd_rd_i=1847979831&psc=1

So worth picking up if you are a beginner or returner, but look around as the market is full of them at reasonable prices.

Jason

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Mostly plastic - there's the odd whitemetal and etched kits in there. I certainly remember copying his build of an ABS whitemetal open. 

OK Pete, memory faulty as usual.

I also built an 0 gauge ABS whitemetal GWR open wagon.  Excellent castings and the result was very pleasing.  I cheated and used CA glue though.  Not something I would buy but I was given the kit FOC at a show.

John

Just been through the Connoisseur site, I think this is the booklet:

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Print Off FAQ Booklet pdf.pdf

I've been thinking, just what should a book on metal wagon building contain?  Obviously it would ideally provide instuctions on soldering (but as I have learned, everyone seems to have their individual take on this).  Other than the means of joining parts, metal wagon kits aren't really any different from plastic wagon kits (and I have built dozens of both media).  What I think is needed are tips for getting those finer details on the model.  Kits will get you something recognizable but don't always include all the finer details, particularly if you are making a model of a specific wagon.  Or you might want to modify the wagon into another  diagram.  Geoff Kent's 4mm wagon books are a case in point. 

John

17 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Connoisseur Models produce a booklet on building 0 gauge etched kits.

Also worth looking at the instructions by Jim and others. Often found on the manufacturers website.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/

As an aside every time I look at that website I get tempted by the big stuff....

Another book worth a look at. Cheap as chips as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Locomotive-Rolling-stock-Construction-Library-Modelling/dp/1857940385

Jason

1 hour ago, brossard said:

OK Pete, memory faulty as usual.

I also built an 0 gauge ABS whitemetal GWR open wagon.  Excellent castings and the result was very pleasing.  I cheated and used CA glue though.  Not something I would buy but I was given the kit FOC at a show.

John

Yes, ABS kits were always really good and a pleasure to assemble. I hope they resurface. 

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Jim's kits are excellent.  I built his NBR goods brake for a friend.  Most enjoyable.

John

Yep. The first proper etched kit I built was the Jinty. Must finish it one day....

To be honest it's only minor things that need doing and as I haven't got a layout for it at the moment it's not a priority.

Jason

I'm steering away from loco kits for now, until I get my layout going - TBF it is in a running and operable state, just have to start the painting of track etc.  I did buy a second hand Slaters 1F kit but nothing happening right now.  I have plenty of locos to be going on with - and loads of wagons.

The Jinty is one of faves.  I have the Dapol Jinty with sound, what a superb model!

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

For a retirement present, I doubt even a second-hand book would be appropriate, let alone a set of photocopied kit instructions!

How about a 25 W Antex soldering iron, some 145 degree solder, flux, and a simple brass wagon kit?

Jack

Perhaps one of Iain's books on loco building (Whitemetal and or etched) could be a source of useful info in conjunction with one of the wagon books (if they concentrate on plastic wagons),  the techniques used to build a loco body is much the same as a wagon body, using the wagon book for undreframes, details and painting

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

For a retirement present, I doubt even a second-hand book would be appropriate, let alone a set of photocopied kit instructions!

How about a 25 W Antex soldering iron, some 145 degree solder, flux, and a simple brass wagon kit?

Yeah. More pointing out that there isn't a specific book for metal wagon kits AFAIK, they're more generic using a myriad of materials and some books are better than others.

But also that if you were building a metal wagon kit then the provided instructions are usually adequate for someone who is a bit more experienced, and very few of us are going to suddenly dive straight into building metal wagon kits without having built a few plastic ones before hand.

Just that the techniques used to stick them together is different. Here's the instructions for a recent 51L wagon kit. Not that much more difficult than building a Parkside kit.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/gcrd021.pdf

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yeah. More pointing out that there isn't a specific book for metal wagon kits AFAIK, they're more generic using a myriad of materials and some books are better than others.

But also that if you were building a metal wagon kit then the provided instructions are usually adequate for someone who is a bit more experienced, and very few of us are going to suddenly dive straight into building metal wagon kits without having built a few plastic ones before hand.

Just that the techniques used to stick them together is different. Here's the instructions for a recent 51L wagon kit. Not that much more difficult than building a Parkside kit.

Yes, which is why I didn't suggest a 50W temperature-controlled iron, 100 degree solder, and a simple whitemetal kit. In my experience, having made the progression plastic -> brass -> whitemetal, the challenges of successful whitemetal soldering are greater than those of brass, though it does open up a greater range of kits. 

A snag with the "classic" wagon kit building books is that they don't cover more recent techniques such as resin and 3D printing.

It would be useful to know what period the recipient would be modelling, as that would have a bearing on the techniques needed - the more esoteric materials being more commonly encountered in pre-grouping wagon building, whereas, I believe, for the 1950s, pretty much all the basic wagon types one could want are available as plastic kits, thanks chiefly to Parkside and Cambrian.

The George Dent one covers resin and 3D. It's probably the most "recent" and up to date of them all.

Just that I felt that and the Tisdale book were a bit more aimed at beginners and if you buy the magazine it is of a similar style to an average article on kit building that you get every couple of months. The "build your first Parkside kit" type of article.

Not a criticism of the books or writers, just that I feel that if someone is looking at building metal kits they might find them a bit basic.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

Mention of modern wagons.

Model Railway Handbook No.10: Thoroughly Modern Models 2 - Modern Wagons in 4mm by Nigel Burkin

https://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/MODELLING.html

Building Modern 4mm Scale Wagons also Burkin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Modern-4mm-Scale-Wagons/dp/190729211X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=modern+wagons&qid=1619177564&sr=8-4

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1