Bachmann's best ever locos

Henners84

Saw this thread on the Hornby page and thought a Bachmann equivalent could work well. Apologies if such a thread already exists (in which case mods please kill this thread) but I couldn't find one...

I suppose I better declare my intentions as an interested party who is looking to build a br steam and diesel collection (plans afoot for a layout that can shift between 1950s/60s one day to 1980s the next). I've been modelling in n gauge until now I've moved house and have more space. 

Previous experience in oo gauge is in the 1990s as a child with a bit of Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann. I'm looking forward to getting back into the hobby in oo. If Sam's Trains is anything to go by Bachmann are often good on detail and finish, but sometimes poor on mechanisms and often pricey. It would be great to see some exceptions to this as I'm sure there are some... 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Saw this thread on the Hornby page and thought a Bachmann equivalent could work well. Apologies if such a thread already exists (in which case mods please kill this thread) but I couldn't find one...

I suppose I better declare my intentions as an interested party who is looking to build a br steam and diesel collection (plans afoot for a layout that can shift between 1950s/60s one day to 1980s the next). I've been modelling in n gauge until now I've moved house and have more space. 

Previous experience in oo gauge is in the 1990s as a child with a bit of Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann. I'm looking forward to getting back into the hobby in oo. If Sam's Trains is anything to go by Bachmann are often good on detail and finish, but sometimes poor on mechanisms and often pricey. It would be great to see some exceptions to this as I'm sure there are some... 

Welcome to RMWeb, and welcome back to OO gauge! 

The channel you mention is not without its critics.  I think this topic is better considered without that as a start-point, or we're likely to fall into all sorts of tar-pits!

On here you'll find that the majority of recent blue-box releases have their own dedicated threads.  Certainly, the following have been well/ very well received in recent months: 

94XX Pannier Tank

Class 90 

Class 117/ 121 DMUs

Class 158/ 159 DMUs

Class 20/3  

Class 45/0 (sealed beam variant)

SDJR and LMS 1P

Class 24 (headcode box variant)

Edited by 'CHARD
Mental impairment
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have not purchased any Bachmann locos for a while, not because of price, but more a case they do not produce anything I want/need.

However that said I have three Bachmann Class 37s, two have earlier chassis that take an 8 pin decoder, the other slightly later that takes a 21 pin decoder and has switches on the bottom for tail lights and cab lights. All three locos run beautifly, are nice and weighty, and can pull a really heavy load. They all have sound fitted, and it really brings them to life. Must be one of their better locos.

Edited by 7013
spelling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have a pretty consistent good track (sorry) record for overall quality, scale and detail, and I have no complaints about the performance of the small GW types on my layout, 57xx, 8750, 45xx, 4575, 56xx, and 94xx.  The 94xx has a new type of coreless motor and is superb.  There is also an 82xxx, which is a little stiff and hesitant, much like it’s owner in the mornings, but will I hope improve over time.  But my main concern is with smooth starts and stops, and with good reliable slow controlled running, and I am well satisfied; I believe some folks with larger layouts than my small BLT have issues with haulage. 

All of my locos can pull all of my trains, but you might have an issue with heavy trains on gradients.  Another issue is the very smooth and polished wheel surfaces of new Bachmann models which limits traction, which then improved over time as the surface wears.  As for mechs, I don’t agree with Sam and have little regard for his  opinions anyway, mine have proved absolutely reliable over (in some cases) more than 5 years of frequent use, and I fully expect them all to be still going strong when I’m withdrawn from service and a’mouldering in my grave...

There are cons to these pros.  Great care is needed if the loco has to be dismantled as the wiring and it’s soldered joints are delicate, especially the joint between the copper pickup strips on the plastic keeper plate and the feed wires to the chip holder.  The keeper plate needs to be removed occasionally to clean the axles and the grooves iin the chassis block that they run in, and the wires are easily tugged accidentally; resoldering the joint must be done without melting the plastic as the pickup strips are rivetted to the plate and cannot be removed.  Getting inside the cabs to add crews is difficult on some locos, and I grumble that pannier tanks are not available without top feeds, and if you are modelling a prototype that doesn’t have this feature removing it and it’s associated plumbing is not easy. 

But my main complaint about Blue Box is the very long lead times between the announcement of models and their availability in the shops.  It is a long time since any completely new models were announced and any that are are likely to take a very long time to materialise.  The company is trying to address this, but in a world of batch production availability of some locos is problematic and it is difficult to keep up with what can be bought at any given time. 

As for price, there is I think a diminishing gap between Bachmann and Hornby’s better products, but the marketing policy is different.  I’ve had quality issues with Hornby locos, bits dropping off, pickups having to be constantly adjusted, loose cylinder covers, that sort of thing; doesn’t happen with Bachmann.  My view is that Bachmann offer a high quality product and that it costs what it costs; I would like it to be cheaper of course, but I’d also like a million pounds, world peace, and a cure for the common cold. 

As for best ever, I’d have to say the 94xx, as near faultless as it is reasonable to expect from a volume produced RTR item, but the others run it close!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Let's start with the 9F 2-10-0 - especially 92220.

City of Truro and Midland Compound are fantastic replicas, and run well as well.

I like both of my green A1 Tornados, A2 Blue Peter (cabs seem OK in all 3), 25 231, Class 40, 44, 57.

Bogie is a pain on the 47's - but not a problem on my 57.

70 as a model is superb, as a working replica should be MUCH heavier ...

My 37's are admittedly superb runners - even if I preferred the 40 in 1:1.

Jubilee and Std 5 LOOK superb, but are pathetically under-powered ...

We've all got plenty, I'm sure ... I could go on.

Al.

I have quite diverse tastes. But the three which have impressed me most over the last few years have been the LMS pre grouping tanks. Models of things that I never would have thought ever being made RTR.

L&YR 2-4-2T, LNWR Coal Tank 0-6-2T and MR 1P 0-4-4T.

Fantastic models. The L&Y 2-4-2T probably just has the edge IMHO.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I know the OP said locos, but can I put in a nomination for the 16ton steel mineral.  This is a basic essential for pretty much any BR layout from 1948 for the next 40+ years, and Bachmann's is easily the best game in town.  Hornby and Dapol use a generic chassis with an incorrect wheelbase, which looks (and is) wrong.  Dapol market a good kit for the 1/106 type under the Kitmaster label; this has been around since it was a 2 shilling (10p) Airfix pocket money thing, but only Bachmann get this seminal wagon right.  Not only that, they offer it in several variations including slope sided, BR unfitted grey, fitted bauxite, and Ministry of Supply liveries, and with enough different running numbers to build up a plausible block train without repeating the numbers, and in weathered versions as well, an object lesson in how an RTR manufacturer should approach this sort of wagon. 

Another one is the 'Ashford' Southern Railway van, which was produced for all 4 big 4 railways during WW2.  This is available as planked or plywood versions, in all the liveries, and both fitted and unfitted BR liveries.  You want an Ashford, Baccy has one whatever version you need!

They clot their botty book a bit with some LMS vehicles, a sliding door ventialted van which is all over the shop in terms of dimensions and proportions, and a sort of cattle wagon on an incorrect wheelbase, but by and large their goods vehicles are excellent.  Not the cheapest, and I'm glad I haven't got the room for 60 wagon coal trains at about £1,500 a pop and then you need a train of empties for the reciprocal working, but mostly superb models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Agree with all the previous posts.  My favourite 1:1 scale loco is the BR Sulzer type 2 and the Bachmann version with it's dimensional and fictional errors is what converted back to British outline many years ago. The Bachmann BO-BO mechanism is pretty amazing and I was treated to a really insightful display of what a DCC decoder can do to a model. A mate of mine bought a class 25 split from a set by a well know box shifter in the North West.  This 25 was one of Bachmann's first attempts at onboard DCC and it was awful. He decided to removed the onboard Bachmann PCB and fit a standard PCB with a DCC socket, then plug an ESU decoder into it. Unless you knew, you would swear it wasn't the same loco and the poor jerky noisy movements were replaced by silent silky glide.

So I knew Bachmann's mechanism was idea underpinnings but the Bachmann mouldings were poor. I havetransplanted a couple of tweaked Hornby "early" 25 bodyshells onto the Bachmann chassis and within my abilities I have much improved models. The new headcode boxed 24 is a beauty and I am hanging on for the "new improved" Bachmann 25, hoping they do both bodyshell variants. 

The new Bachmann 40 is very nice as is the class 85 as already mentioned. For steam I have an embarrassing number, probably more than twenty and they are really nice, the most recent being the 94xx, but the Stanier Mogul is rerally nioce as is the Dukedog and the LNWR duo. 

Highly recommend them

• Like 1

I tend to prefer steam locos from the Blue box corner - always seem more 'solid' with more believable valve gear (as opposed to wafer-thin, stamped offerings from the red corner). Of course, beggars can't be choosers for many locos, eg LMS Black 5 and Stanier pacifics ...

Favourite? I've long held the WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0 in high regard ... but my example has recently disgraced itself by seizing up its gear tower (!) So I'll nominate the GCR / ROD O4 2-8-0. They just run all day on Grantham with no fuss whatsoever. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I seem to remember that there was a very expensive model of the LMS twins but I can not remember who the manufacturer was.

Terry

Expensive, but not that expensive for a brass loco.

Quite a bargain when it was remaindered at just over half the original price. Lucky me.

It has one little problem. It needs 5' radius curves due to some very odd dimensions  with the wheels.

Back on topic. The WD for me. An early model. Often equaled but never bettered. The basic shape seems so right and it is a simple task to add the bits needed to personalize it. Mine was a very early model and still runs perfectly.

Bernard

17 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I tend to prefer steam locos from the Blue box corner - always seem more 'solid' with more believable valve gear (as opposed to wafer-thin, stamped offerings from the red corner). Of course, beggars can't be choosers for many locos, eg LMS Black 5 and Stanier pacifics ...

Favourite? I've long held the WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0 in high regard ... but my example has recently disgraced itself by seizing up its gear tower (!) So I'll nominate the GCR / ROD O4 2-8-0. They just run all day on Grantham with no fuss whatsoever. 

There’s little point in my picking a locomotive because there are so many superb Bachmann locos that I’m very likely to change my mind at some stage. As it happens, Bachmann’s latest iteration of the GCR/ROD O4 graces my PC desktop. Bachmann blacks are beautifully lustrous and lift a workaday machine out of the ordinary. (Apologies to weathering fans.) I’m no exception to the tendency to telling manufacturers what they should do and when it comes to the O4, I think Bachmann should take another look. Variations are all the fashion these days and a carefully planned tooling could enable Bachmann to produce a lot of the eight parts into which the class was divided in addition to the O5.

On 25/04/2021 at 11:26, No Decorum said:

There’s little point in my picking a locomotive because there are so many superb Bachmann locos that I’m very likely to change my mind at some stage. As it happens, Bachmann’s latest iteration of the GCR/ROD O4 graces my PC desktop. Bachmann blacks are beautifully lustrous and lift a workaday machine out of the ordinary. (Apologies to weathering fans.) I’m no exception to the tendency to telling manufacturers what they should do and when it comes to the O4, I think Bachmann should take another look. Variations are all the fashion these days and a carefully planned tooling could enable Bachmann to produce a lot of the eight parts into which the class was divided in addition to the O5.

I did see a rumour somewhere that they had planned on an O1 as well and Hornby had also planned on releasing an O4 but were beaten so they had switched to the O1.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've not really had issues with any Bachmann locos/units, so it is difficult to select just the one choice. If pushed however I'd go with the class 450 EMU. It really is disappointing that with the exception of the Hornby 395, no other third rail products are currently available. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For me, within my scope of interest I’d have to say the 158.

It took a while, but well worth the wait, the detail is exquisite, and it’s set the bar very high for what to expect from second gen DMUs.

Possibly an odd opinion to many, but a shout out to the class 37 also. I appreciate others point to its supposed flaws, the cab windows seem to be a common one, but ever since these ‘new’ ones have been released many a year ago I’ve loved them, and have more than I dare admit to. They look the part, they’re well detailed, pull well, and over the years have been available in most of the liveries I’ve wanted. If I had to run just one train for half an hour, a Bach 37 would be one I’d pick........ but which one?!

(Split headcode Dutch 37, my first of the collection...... probably)

Edited by Foden
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foden said:

For me, within my scope of interest I’d have to say the 158.

It took a while, but well worth the wait, the detail is exquisite, and it’s set the bar very high for what to expect from second gen DMUs.

Possibly an odd opinion to many, but a shout out to the class 37 also. I appreciate others point to its supposed flaws, the cab windows seem to be a common one, but ever since these ‘new’ ones have been released many a year ago I’ve loved them, and have more than I dare admit to. They look the part, they’re well detailed, pull well, and over the years have been available in most of the liveries I’ve wanted. If I had to run just one train for half an hour, a Bach 37 would be one I’d pick........ but which one?!

(Split headcode Dutch 37, my first of the collection...... probably)

Do you not feel the grey on the nse livery version looks a like too dark? Or maybe just the pics I've seen. Otherwise I agree they look great and could just about squeeze into my 80s (pushing it to early 90s layout) 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Do you not feel the grey on the nse livery version looks a like too dark? Or maybe just the pics I've seen. Otherwise I agree they look great and could just about squeeze into my 80s (pushing it to early 90s layout) 

Can only really speak for the model, rather than most liveries, I'm only personally interested in the regional railways livery for myself (which is very well represented I might add).

12 minutes ago, Foden said:

Can only really speak for the model, rather than most liveries, I'm only personally interested in the regional railways livery for myself (which is very well represented I might add).

And I've just remembered the nse version is actually a 159 (3 car vs 2 car)! 

I’ve a lot of Bachmann . I brought my first in about 2005.

they are a bit like Ford , reliable dependable, no frills.

37/47 are fine for mid range stuff. 45 ain’t bad either.