Collett 7428 Livery question

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Quick question to those in the know.

Collett 74xx No. 7428 worked on the Bala branch from the early 1950s until withdrawal  from Croes Newydd shed in the early 1960s. During this time, right up to withdrawal she carried G.W.R. on her tank sides, thereby never carrying any form BR emblem. I ve been looking at various photos of this loco trying to work out if her livery was GWR green or war time black, but as you can guess by the late 1950s hard working engines were often covered in soot and grime, making it impossible to discern the livery underneath. Does anyone know what livery she carried please ?

Many Thanks in advance

Bob C

The provenance of this image is unknown to me.

If anyone objects to its' appearing here, please speak up, and it will be removed.

The weathering of the loco doesn't suggest the "G W R " is chalked on.

Thrown open to the floor.

7428-unknown-undated.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Colour pic sent in PM, Blobrick

Many thanks, for the photo, l ve not seen that one before.

However even although its a colour photo, l still can not discern the body colour under the grime. More detective work required, me thinks 

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

If anyone objects to its' appearing here, please speak up, and it will be removed.

7428-unknown-undated.jpg

Thanks for finding this photo, the loco is a weathering challenge!!

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

7428-unknown-undated.jpg

The other photo is as if the GWR has been chalked over or even painted. It's far too clear to be an old livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/5693480315

I personally reckon it's faded and worn black paint with an earlier livery showing through. Probably manipulated by someone to show the GWR.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p687266031/e36858bad

No GWR visible in this photo and just looks dirty BR black.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/7400-class-0-6-0pt/ea0ff3fdd

Another view here.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/7400-class-0-6-0pt/ea0ff59a8

No pictures in the relevant Pannier Papers book unfortunately.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2021 at 21:06, br2975 said:

7428-unknown-undated.jpg

Definitely looks as if it has been cleaned back through later paint

• Agree 1

I think possibly a quick coat of wartime black is wearing a bit thin and the original GW green is showing through in quite a few places. There is definitely some green showing through.

Problem is, if you finished your model with that livery, no one would believe it!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think possibly a quick coat of wartime black is wearing a bit thin and the original GW green is showing through in quite a few places. There is definitely some green showing through.

Problem is, if you finished your model with that livery, no one would believe it!

Just as likely a post nationalisation ccoat of black applied in the parsimonius fashion of some WR works (I exclude Caerphilly from that comment).  I seriously doubt that most engines got more that an single coat of black over existing (cleaned down) paintwork when you consider that at Swndon steam engines in lined green livery only got an undercoat and a top coat before lining and (possibly) a cat of varnish.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2021 at 11:26, The Stationmaster said:

Just as likely a post nationalisation coat of black applied in the parsimonius fashion of some WR works

Not just a preserve of the WR. There was Johnson 2F at Monument Lane c1960 with the outline of its LMS number clearly visible.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 20:15, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not just a preserve of the WR. There was Johnson 2F at Monument Lane c1960 with the outline of its LMS number clearly visible.

...... and a 4F at Bolton c.1962 with LMS clearly showing under a very thin coat of black paint on the tender.

Ray.

I saw one photograph of a LNER 0-6-0 during the 1946 renumbering where they haven't even bothered with the coat of black paint.

They've just put the new number on top of the old one!

I think it was a J11. Photo was in MRC in the late 1970s in an article about LNER liveries.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Have you seen the one in this post? PGH said in the caption that it was chalked.

If the lettering is chalked on, its very neat and tidy?

Bob C

19 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Bob C

Most likely the outline was readily visible as a guide. For a modern example look at photos of 5322s tender  as currently painted black - the outline of ROD 5322 is clearly visible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Probably too neat and tidy for the time it was supposed to be. It would have been showing some wear from removing all that crud.

There was a Super D at Bescot which had LMS on the tender in the 1960s and that fooled a lot of people but that was done with chalk. Several ex-LMS locos around the area had the outlines of their old numbers visible through the paint, just like when you do over the transfers on a model without rubbing down.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1