Blanking plug soldered to socket?

Lukas G.

Hi everyone. At the start of the week I asked about a suitable decoder for a Brawa N gauge cab car. The cab car has now arrived and it appears the blanking plug is soldered to the socket? Brawa haven't provided any useful information in the manual, I have tried to program it just in case but it was clearly analogue so I have kept it off the track. Can anyone help me?

Edited by Lukas G.

Update: On checking a manual on Brawa's website it seems that the entire socket has been removed and a blanking plug soldered in its place. I will have to return the model as there is no way it will work with my digital layout.

I have already packed up the model to be returned, sorry. Brawa's diagram showed a blanking plug and socket, page 5 of the manual - https://www.brawa.de/fileadmin/Produkte/Bedienungsanleitungen_N/personenwagen/65142_Steuerwagen_Bybdtee_MAV.pdf

However, my sample is the same as this but no socket, the blanking plate has been soldered directly to the PCB. I have already completed the eBay return of the item and it'll be making its way back to rails of Sheffield from tomorrow.

Not my reading of the manual - page 8 shows snips cutting out the old circuit, and  describes soldering the pins of the decoder to the PCB.   The arrangement seems to be similar to a 6-pin socket (similar wiring pattern).    I don't think it ever had a socket. 

- Nigel

There a few things that are mandatory for working with model railways, but some would fall into that category, and they include a multimeter, wire strippers, solder and soldering iron. Without these - and the ability to use them you will become rather frustrated as you go through your modelling career.

You can learn how to use them through experience and start by learning from friends, and if they can't help I suggest you start on YouTube - they really are essential.

• Agree 1

Thanks. I'm arranging to borrow a soldering iron and snips from a family member who also models, I will try and get some practice in before soldering the decoder. I have found some Youtube tutorials and am building a list of recommended techniques etc. As always if I need help I will check back here.

I recommend you get someone experienced to do the job on the Brawa item.   For someone used to soldering, with the right stuff(*), its a not overly difficult job.   For someone inexperienced, who may have some of the wrong stuff(*), its fairly likely to go badly wrong and damage the decoder and or the PCB in the model.   

Develop skills on something a lot simpler and of far lower value.  

(* combination of soldering iron, at the right temperature, right tip size, appropriate solder, means to apply correct quantity of solder, holding everything so it doesn't move, controlling heat so "just enough, but doesn't de-solder something else",  all in a fairly small space  ).   

- Nigel

• Agree 1

When soldering to electronic devices like decoders, you need to avoid applying the heat for too long.  So it is important to become adept at judging how long is enough to do the job before you remove the heat.  Practice on a few scrap of wire etc.  you need a small bit for fine work - a big iron that looks like a poker won't do.

Part of the knack is to do with the number of things that need to be in position at once - the two items you want to join, the iron and the solder.  You only have two hands, so it helps if things can be clamped or otherwise held in position so they don't move while you do the job.

I'll ask the person I'm borrowing it from, it is a soldering iron that's been used for model railways, I have got in touch with Brawa to see what they advise, materials-wise. It is impractical for me to send the model to Brawa, due to high import and export costs between the UK and EU. No model shops are open right now so that avenue is closed. I will have to tentatively attempt to do it myself, unfortunately.

I will have a second pair of hands to help me, and I am looking for suitable clamps/grips.