TEST email from Hattons

mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

This may be something or nothing. The attached shows the email from Hattons. It doesn't feel right, but seems to come from Hattons.

Anyone else had one of these, and are Hatton's sending them out? Seems a bit of a waste if they are. Rob

1877718072_hattonsemailtest.png.a22d5dea013f3977205b2e60edc31103.png

• RMweb Premium

Well I went to the Website to send them a message as the phones aren't manned out of office hours.

Unfortunately there was an error after hitting send, so I can't be sure the message went off.

Wait until tomorrow I suppose and call.

Rob

I haven't had one of these e-mails from Hattons.  However, although it 'looks' like it's been sent from Hattons, that's no guarantee that it has - these things can be spoofed.  If you hover your cursor (Don't click) over the 'unsubscribe' beside the sender e-mail address or alternatively over the 'click here' at the bottom of the e-mail, you'll see where you'll be directed to if you were to click on these hyperlinks.

If I open a legitimate e-mail from Hattons, the unsubscribe hyperlink seems to redirect to trk.hattons.co.uk/ls/click?........  However, I've seen other e-mails that look reasonably authentic, yet they want to divert you to some really strange web address like nigerianprinces.ru to unsubscribe.  That's usually a sign that it's some sort of phishing scam.

The e-mail looks like it's fairly pointless, so I suspect it may not be genuine and the only point to it is to get some individuals to either reply to it (it may not actually go to Hattons but will confirm to the real sender that the e-mail address is active) or alternatively, the recipient will choose to hit 'unsubscribe' and then enter their e-mail address and password on a spoofed site.

There shouldn't be an issue if you just delete the e-mail, but it's perhaps a little concerning that several people seem to be getting an e-mail at the same time.  Perhaps there has been a cyber attack on Hattons.

• Agree 1

I would be highly suspicious of it, though this one could well just be a marketing shot that got cocked up.  Unlikely that the firm would have sent these out intentionally without some form of explanation.

I have been getting a dozen or so emails a day all purporting to be from various organisations I have had dealings with, mostly claiming that my anti-virus is expired.  

According to this website (https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/worry-verification-emails-google/#:~:text=How to Check if an,header to be really safe.) to check the authenticity of the e-mail sender you need to check the authentication in the e-mail header.  In the case of @mezzoman253's screenshot, that seems to be by clicking on the down triangle after 'me'.  However, I use Yahoo, which seems to require clicking on the three dots for 'more' and then clicking on 'view raw message'.

Looking at the raw message header, a legitimate e-mail from Hattons to my Yahoo account seems to have:

Authentication-Results: atlas217.free.mail.ir2.yahoo.com;

dkim=pass header.i=@hattons.co.uk header.s=s1;

dkim=pass header.i=@sendgrid.info header.s=smtpapi;

spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=send.hattons.co.uk;

dmarc=unknown header.from=hattons.co.uk; 

The second dkim sendgrid.info seems to be the authentication of a legitimate e-mail marketing company, who are presumably engaged to send out Hattons marketing e-mails.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't get one.

My pre-ordered e-mail was cancelled:jester:

However on a similar vein I have had an awful lot of phone calls recently from my "internet service provider" telling me to press 1 to stop my line being cut-off.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I received one as well.

Any common denominator?

I had the Hush Hush on pre-order cancelled by them.

Well, I didn't receive one (and I've checked my spam folder just to check it didn't go there), but I never pre-ordered the Hush Hush and I don't currently have any items on pre-order at Hattons.  I have ordered from them in the past, so have an account, and I'm subscribed to their newsletter and receive e-mails when certain items come into stock, but I didn't get one of these suspect looking e-mails.

I dont have anything on pre-order at the moment, I just added some local buses for around my station onto my wishlist to save them for later this morning but thats about it. Only common denominator is I got the email at the same time as OP. It auto-sent into my Hattons folder in my mailbox with the info@hattons address they use for the weekly mailing list newsletter. Bit weird, still very cursed. Not going to click the link just in-case but it sitting in my inbox otherwise is not doing any harm other than being a bit weird. Maybe an employee just sent a bunch out to random mailings for some reason cos they were bored, by mistake or something else.

• RMweb Premium

I got the TEST message too. I am subscribed to their notification when they add items to their Pre-Owned stock and the TEST message arrived at about the time the notification usually arrives. I didn't get a pre-owned notification yesterday, but there was a big upload of pre-owned items to their website, so would have expected one.

I don't know if the pre-owned notification is a common factor with anyone else who got the TEST message?

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

I didn't get one.

My pre-ordered e-mail was cancelled:jester:

However on a similar vein I have had an awful lot of phone calls recently from my "internet service provider" telling me to press 1 to stop my line being cut-off.

I had identical one yesterday . I’m on Hattons mailing list too but didn’t receive the suspect email. Best to cut off malicious phone calls without response and likewise to bin mysterious emails.

Thinking about that phone call though,the “voice” on the end of the line was female,English and polished. Which got me thinking about who on earth would be prepared to accept such a manifestly fraudulent and criminal job. This being COVID and lean times for those jobless then almost anybody I suppose. Consequences if someone receiving the call suddenly says....hello...I recognise that voice ?