TEST email from Hattons

mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Hi, could someone please ring Hattons and advise them of the situation. I'd do it, as the OP, but have to go out now and will be driving, so won't have the email details to hand, thanks.

Rob

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thinking about that phone call though,the “voice” on the end of the line was female,English and polished. Which got me thinking about who on earth would be prepared to accept such a manifestly fraudulent and criminal job. This being COVID and lean times for those jobless then almost anybody I suppose. Consequences if someone receiving the call suddenly says....hello...I recognise that voice ?

I thought the voice very similar to one used by BT (?) on one of their services. (intentional, I assume)

However these calls come from outside of the UK and all the originating numbers are spoofed. Some are just a random set of digits (one of which was 17 digits long) others are close to genuine UK ones but in a group that hasn't yet been issued.

They normally go to my answer machine where they promptly hang up but I've had a couple where I've been waiting for someone, whose number I didn't know, to call so I picked them up.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I thought the voice very similar to one used by BT (?) on one of their services. (intentional, I assume)

However these calls come from outside of the UK and all the originating numbers are spoofed. Some are just a random set of digits (one of which was 17 digits long) others are close to genuine UK ones but in a group that hasn't yet been issued.

They normally go to my answer machine where they promptly hang up but I've had a couple where I've been waiting for someone, whose number I didn't know, to call so I picked them up.

The one I received began with 0191...the code for  Newcastle on Tyne....and as I have friends and relatives in that area I picked up.....and then promptly cut the call.Good to know that the Hattons email wasn’t malicious though 

1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Wonder if they have been testing / upgrading things on their IT side and some changes have slipped through ?

I got this on their website last week when browsing:

hattons.JPG.841ac4c967beb833b4b9ed521d879523.JPG

I've had that happen before now. Usually it's Australian Dollars rather than Swiss Francs.

Normally reverts back to GBP if you refresh the page.

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of scam phone calls, I got one once, they talked some rubbish to me, so I talked some back.. along the lines of... “confused have you got the right department”.. stops em mid track, they start rabbiting again..,... I interrupt “Er sorry your talking to the cyber investigation unit, which case are you referring to”.. then a bit more pause, waffle, followed by “really sorry love, your talking to an investigations team, can you tell me who you are, number and reference number and I can look up the details...”.. I then get a click, and never got called back.

Another occasion previous ive pretended to be a taxi company and asked where they needed picking up from, and a pizza company and asked to take their order.

Before now ive said I needed to get something and just left the phone open and went elsewhere, left a youtube video of someone talking a bedtime story into the speaker... often their english is so bad it takes them a few minutes to realise.

They always hang up... its there time they are wasting, my call rate always decreases straight after as they drop me off the list.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

OP: Just got back from my trip out. Many thanks to whomever sorted this out.

Glad it was just an error rather than a hack. :good:

Rob

Looking at the format of the link to your website in your signature, there's no way I would ever click on it

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They always hang up... its there time they are wasting, my call rate always decreases straight after as they drop me off the list.

I usually say, "Hang on - I'll just get him for you" and put the handset on the table ... and waste a bit more of their time.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Looking at the format of the link to your website in your signature, there's no way I would ever click on it

Is that because it's HTTP rather than HTTPS?

The link goes to HTTPS, but of course you wouldn't know that. I can rectify that.

Rob

28 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Is that because it's HTTP rather than HTTPS?

The link goes to HTTPS, but of course you wouldn't know that. I can rectify that.

Rob

Because it looks like garbage and is thus suspicious - with over 40 years in IT I wouldn't trust anything of a similar nature

Graham

Edited by Graham108
typo
  • Agree 2

I've been missing out, I hadn't subscribed to the pre-loved mailing list...  :crazy:

Talking about sales phone calls, an acquaintance uset to answer his phone with "Brass Finishing Shop, Cammel Lairds", those who knew him knew the correct response...

It was all a long time ago.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Because it looks like garbage and is thus suspicious - with over 40 years in IT I wouldn't trust anything of a similar nature

Graham

You are obviously referring to the shorter URL, as the longer one is for my RMweb layout and I can't change that.

The other is hosted by WIX, a well respected self build web page hoster. There are plenty of legit URL's that have a similar formats.

I'm hardly likely to post a dodgy URL on here am I? I'd be shunted off pretty sharpish.

Anyway your choice.

Regards, Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Wonder if they have been testing / upgrading things on their IT side and some changes have slipped through ?

I got this on their website last week when browsing:

hattons.JPG.841ac4c967beb833b4b9ed521d879523.JPG

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've had that happen before now. Usually it's Australian Dollars rather than Swiss Francs.

Normally reverts back to GBP if you refresh the page.

You can change the currency on their website.

• Agree 1

I play the telephone scammers in their own way:-“Thank you for your generous donation. To double your donation, hang up within 5 seconds. To speak to an agent, key 1....”

Edited by Mike Harvey
spelling

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Graham

Agree totally. Our users also get fed up with us blocking "bit.ly" and "goo.gl" short links, but it's not them that would have to sort the mess out if it redirects to a dodgy place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sandwich station said:

You can change the currency on their website.

Yes. But I mean when you arrive straight to the site it's sometimes in a foreign currency. If you just hit the refresh symbol it goes back to normal.

Maybe it's because I do a lot of shopping and browsing at night when there are probably more Australians using it. If more Aussies are shopping that those in the UK it might change automatically to the more common setting.

Jason