Cakebox 2021 - We have a winner!

• Phil Parker changed the title to Cakebox 2021 - Voting is open!
  • RMweb Gold

"It's going to be a difficult one as they are all superb."

You weren't kidding!

I spent ages (enjoyable ages) whittling the list down to 3 (first, second and third) - so I could then Vote - only to find that you could only choose the your winner!

Good luck to all.

Kev.

(Who's own entry stalled due to work, family and equipment failure.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Voting closes at the end of 1st May, so you have the whole bank holiday to make your mind up.

Hi Phil, I think you’ve got me here - May 1st is tomorrow (Saturday), but the Bank Holiday is on Monday 3rd May?  Bit confused, sorry.  

I do know International Star Wars Day is on Tuesday, Keith.

• Like 1

• Administrators

And the winner is:

Ben Bucki with his Steampunk monorail

BEN_BUCKI_Cakebox-2021-Steampunk-Monorail_02.jpg

Congratulations Ben, he wins £75 of products from JS Models, and well done to everyone who entered - the voting was tight between several models. Hardly surprising when you consider the calibre of the entries this time.

We're sorting out some page space in a future issue of BRM, where all your efforts will go on to inspire others.

Thank you to everyone who took part in this competition. I'm so pleased that we can show RMweb is home to some top quality modelling as well as the occasional moaner!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 6

• Phil Parker changed the title to Cakebox 2021 - We have a winner!
  • RMweb Premium

Congratulations Ben!

A worthy winner, but then there were lots of worthy entries! With such high standard I'm not surprised it was a very close call, as Phil alluded to.

I'll be in touch with Ben soon to arrange his prize.

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well done @Ben B - made excellent use of the vertical space from turning the cakebox on its edge, and some truly fantastic photography once the model was finished that really showcased such a detailed diorama very well indeed. Do check out the full portfolio of photos at the end of the build thread if you’ve not seen them. Worthy winner.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 5

Congratulations Ben -  your composition and photos really gave a sense of atmosphere. Definitely a worthy winner.

And well done to everyone else who took part - I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the different approaches to a difficult challenge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations Ben. Impressive architecture in which to display your atmospheric scene. Well thought out and executed.
A worthy winner among a delightful collection of entries which demonstrate some ingenious, inventive and inspiring ways of modelling. Well done everybody.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Congratulations Ben! A wonderful model and a well deserved winner! It has been a really enjoyable challenge, working ‘virtually’ alongside so many talented model makers!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you too to @Phil Parker for organising the challenge for us - I’m sure I read previously that this kind of thing is an extra, and I’ll bet there’s more work involved in setting up webpages and voting systems than many of us realise (I know I wouldn’t know where to start).  I can only speak for myself, but I know I make more progress on all my modelling projects as a result of the stimulus and encouragement that comes with cakeboxing.

Maybe the next one should be a Garden Rail competition (dimensions of a seed tray?).

Also to acknowledge @jrb as sponsor with a very generous and totally appropriate prize offering.  Thank you.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!  This was such a fun build to do, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and taking the pictures at the end of the process too.

And thanks Phil for restarting the Cakebox competition too!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thank you too to @Phil Parker for organising the challenge for us - I’m sure I read previously that this kind of thing is an extra, and I’ll bet there’s more work involved in setting up webpages and voting systems than many of us realise (I know I wouldn’t know where to start).  I can only speak for myself, but I know I make more progress on all my modelling projects as a result of the stimulus and encouragement that comes with cakeboxing.

Maybe the next one should be a Garden Rail competition (dimensions of a seed tray?).

Also to acknowledge @jrb as sponsor with a very generous and totally appropriate prize offering.  Thank you.

I think there are a few of us with unfinished CakeBoxes from earlier challenges, as well as others with an idea yet to materialise! Even if there are no more CakeBox challenges we could still post personal progress on individual projects?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Even if there are no more CakeBox challenges we could still post personal progress on individual projects?

Please do. I'm sure we'll all enjoy them, and you'll be inspiring others to have a go too.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Even if there are no more CakeBox challenges we could still post personal progress on individual projects?

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Please do. I'm sure we'll all enjoy them, and you'll be inspiring others to have a go too.

Sounds like a good call - but then I might have a reason for saying this.

You might recall that I had to drop out of entering this challenge - because I realised that external factors meant that I was going to run out of time. In the long run, of course, I intend to complete the stuff I was working on - stuff which might not be too relevant to my other projects - so it would suit my purposes to post this stuff here.

Huw.

• Like 3