Cakebox 2021 - We have a winner!

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Marly51 said:

I think there are a few of us with unfinished CakeBoxes from earlier challenges, as well as others with an idea yet to materialise! Even if there are no more CakeBox challenges we could still post personal progress on individual projects?

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Please do. I'm sure we'll all enjoy them, and you'll be inspiring others to have a go too.

Where would progress be posted, here or another thread?

If another thread, how about a title of: -

"CakeBox unchallenged - for those who work at a different pace!"

Kev.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

15 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Sounds like a good call - but then I might have a reason for saying this.

You might recall that I had to drop out of entering this challenge - because I realised that external factors meant that I was going to run out of time. In the long run, of course, I intend to complete the stuff I was working on - stuff which might not be too relevant to my other projects - so it would suit my purposes to post this stuff here.

Huw.

14 hours ago, SHMD said:

Where would progress be posted, here or another thread?

If another thread, how about a title of: -

"CakeBox unchallenged - for those who work at a different pace!"

Kev.

May I suggest we keep the Cake Box posts together under the one "Cake Box Challenge" section.  After all, the focus is on the Challenge to build a Cake Box diorama; the challenge to create, experiment, invent, aim, achieve, do something different, persevere, and enjoy, and so on. Having one ready by a competition entry deadline may be the target, but as pointed out, not always possible - I have passed several Challenge deadlines, myself, in getting The Cob done. 

The winning is gaining a Cake Box model we would want to put on display, that does each individual proud, whatever life throws at us, however long it takes. As much as I love the contest, a contest only has one (voted for) winner but, really, everyone who completes their Cake Box Challenge, and has met its challenges, is a winner.

Despite its small size, building a Cake Box diorama is no easy task, neither is it a quick fix, but the appreciation, support and friendship in this Modelling Zone has been terrific.  It would be a shame to split it up.

May the Cake Box Challenge live long and prosper!

With many thanks to Phil Parker for his perseverance and desire to keeping it going over the last few years.  It does him credit.

Polly

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, southern42 said:

Despite its small size, building a Cake Box diorama is no easy task, neither is it a quick fix, but the appreciation, support and friendship in this Modelling Zone has been terrific.  It would be a shame to split it up

It's true - a small model can be harder to plan and build than an larger one. You can't afford to waste any space whatsoever. There's a lot people could learn by looking at the models in this section, so I'd be inclined to keep them together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

As someone who hadn't modelled in 35 years I found it a really useful challenge - it's certainly easy to spot your mistakes in such a small area :blush:

Keeping them together makes sense - I've spent plenty of time looking back through past entries to see different approaches to small spaces.

What's the next challenge (now that you've got all this spare time on your hands @Phil Parker ;))? Kitbash a Dapol Engine Shed?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2021 at 10:18, Phil Parker said:

And the winner is:

Ben Bucki with his Steampunk monorail

BEN_BUCKI_Cakebox-2021-Steampunk-Monorail_02.jpg

Congratulations Ben, he wins £75 of products from JS Models, and well done to everyone who entered - the voting was tight between several models. Hardly surprising when you consider the calibre of the entries this time.

We're sorting out some page space in a future issue of BRM, where all your efforts will go on to inspire others.

Thank you to everyone who took part in this competition. I'm so pleased that we can show RMweb is home to some top quality modelling as well as the occasional moaner!

It's been a while, but Ben came to JSModels HQ earlier today to collect the order he purchased with his £75 voucher - 3x kits & numerous accessories:

PXL_20210717_090709359.jpg.c047f85765cc0cc68db18d00c08d55f8.jpg

It turns out he doesn't live far from me! The kits are for a winter project, so I don't expect to see any photos anytime soon, but hopefully in a few months...

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 9