WW1 tank carriers

1ngram

I'm building a small ROD layout in HO built round a HO Robinson I acquired last year.  I can't find any British tanks in HO but I've acquired a German AV from Rails of Sheffield who bought a lot of mainly WW2 German military vehicles a few years ago amongst to which I found this First World War veteran. I presume the Germans used some form of wagon similar to the British Parrot to carry such tanks up to the front.  What were they like?  Does anyone have or know where I could see a photograph?  Even better does any European manufacturer make a model of such a vehicle.  I want to portray such a vehicle and tank on my layout, abandoned during the great retreat of 1918 and now back to Blighty for evaluation.

Any help gratefully received.

Ken

• RMweb Gold

While I did not find a single suitable wagon - a few armoured trains - this collection of German WW1 postcards is a fascinating insight into life, and sometimes death, on that side of the conflict. There are two parts to the collection - with links at the top and bottom of each part.

http://www.allworldwars.com/German-World-War-I-Postcards-Part-I.html

• Like 2

On 24/04/2021 at 08:10, phil_sutters said:

While I did not find a single suitable wagon - a few armoured trains - this collection of German WW1 postcards is a fascinating insight into life, and sometimes death, on that side of the conflict. There are two parts to the collection - with links at the top and bottom of each part.

http://www.allworldwars.com/German-World-War-I-Postcards-Part-I.html

What a fascinating collection - thank you for posting!

To return to the original question, the book "Armoured Trains" by Paul Malmassari (or the French version - "Les Trains Blindes") has some photos which include wagons used by Germany in WWI. 

18 minutes ago, 1ngram said:

At over £50 not something I will rush to buy.  Any chance of a relevant photo?  Are the wagons like British parrots?

Look up the ISBN and request the book through your local library.

Gordon A

• Friendly/supportive 1