Green Yellow Panel, Western Region Class 37's surviving into late '69 and 1970

Leyburn Kid

On my forthcoming layout, I'm looking to use a nicely weathered GYP Class 37. My interest is in trying to identify any GYP Western Region Class 37's that survived into 1970 in this livery, as my layout is set in 1970/1. In his excellent recent book, From Green To Blue, Russell Saxton mentions that the last surviving GYP was Scottish based D6841,in the summer of 1970. There is a picture on the internet of D6841 in July '70.

So far I've been unable to locate any conclusive info. There are pictures of 6875, 6879 and D6988 in GYP on the internet, from Aug '69. Also similar pictures of 6600, D6890 and D6906 from Sept '69. But so far no Western Region pictures from 1970.

Railway Observer suggests that 6876, 6969,6978,6987,6988,6995,6996 and 6997 may have survived into 1970 in GYP, as all were noted going GFYE during 1970. However Railway Observer info always has some degree of time lag.

I would be really grateful if anyone has some definite sightings, or pictures of GYP Class 37s in 1970, or indeed late '69. Although I'm mainly interested in Western Region locos, I'd still happily receive info on Eastern or Scottish locos.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid you've mis-read Russell's caption, he claims that D6841 was the last GSYP EE type 3.

Over the page he lists  loco's which made GYP with TOPS numbers, so, ergo, there were many loco's with pre TOPS numbers in GYP, including a number of WR ones.

Mike.

Thanks for your reply.

The implication of your remark is that there were two sizes of yellow panel with Class 37's, namely GYP and GSYP. That was certainly the case with Peaks, and some other Classes, but I'm not aware that was the case with 37's. My reading was that the list of about twenty locos provided by Russell Saxton were all GFYE in TOPS. The caption refers to a picture of 37 225 in that livery, which Russell says is typical.

Perhaps someone can clear this one up?

Between the late 60s and mid 70s was the period I made most of my spotting records and notes; and I lived (and still do) close to the South Wales Main Line, and the Cardiff (Penarth Curve North) - Radyr freight line.

I still have my spotting notes from late 1970,  but cannot recall any GSYP South Wales allocated Cl.37s post 1969, and my notes show I saw all of those referred to in the OP.

From photos in my collection, I can add the following;

6875 - GSYP - 8/69

6876 - GSYP - 7/69

6879 - GSYP - 8/69

6879 - GSYP - 3/69

6890 - GSYP - 9/69

6906 - GSYP - 9/69

6969 - GSYP - ?/69

6995 - GFYE - 29/11/69

6996 - GFYE - 1969

6997 - GFYE - 9/69

I don't recall any differing sized yellow panels, only the odd two tone yellow panel on the one end of D6956 circa 1966/1967

EDIT

And 6958 which had GFYE, but the full yellow end stopped short of the skirting, that was in March,1969

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Leyburn Kid said:

The implication of your remark is that there were two sizes of yellow panel with Class 37's, namely GYP and GSYP. That was certainly the case with Peaks, and some other Classes, but I'm not aware that was the case with 37's. My reading was that the list of about twenty locos provided by Russell Saxton were all GFYE in TOPS. The caption refers to a picture of 37 225 in that livery, which Russell says is typical.

Perhaps someone can clear this one up?

I think you're correct, in that Russ Saxton is referring to Cl.37s in GFYE livery, with TOPS numbers, NOT, GSYP Cl.37s with TOPS numbers.

29 minutes ago, Leyburn Kid said:

Many thanks Brian.

It's interesting that I've not found a GYP/GSYP in 1970 in Flickr, and your comments suggest that Class 37's in late '69 were an endangered species. Perhaps quite a bit of time lag with the Railway Observer sightings?

And, with the RO, when there were reports on things like livery changes, you have to carry on reading the next issues, as often corrections / amendments were published.

That said, the RO was without doubt, the best record of railway happenings at that time, far more detailed than say, the mainstream magazines (Railway World, Railway Magazine etc).

Glad I still have an almost complete run from 1965-1980

Brian R

6 minutes ago, Leyburn Kid said:

I've not found a GYP/GSYP in 1970 in Flickr

I've just had the same experience on the Class 37 website's gallery. Page after page of blue locos, with some in grey, but no sign of any in green. I was starting to wonder if the existed, then found this:

https://www.class37.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=jl37029&cf=gall

50 minutes ago, br2975 said:

51 minutes ago, br2975 said:

From photos in my collection, I can add the following;

6875 - GSYP - 8/69

6876 - GSYP - 7/69

6879 - GSYP - 8/69

6879 - GSYP - 3/69

6890 - GSYP - 9/69

6906 - GSYP - 9/69

6969 - GSYP - ?/69

6995 - GFYE - 29/11/69

6996 - GFYE - 1969

6997 - GFYE - 9/69

RO has 6995 & 6996 going GFYE in 6/70, and 6997 GFYE in 2/70. So a fair degree of time lag

From my classroom window; I'd watch a procession of freights heading to and from Radyr

Over a few years between 1968 and 1974 , this brought , amongst others, Classes 03, 08, 11, 14, 25, 31, 35, 37, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, 52 past the school.

I spent many hours at Radyr, by then the 'hub' of Cardiff Valleys freight activity, where up to 16 Cl.37s stabled, and a brace of Cl.35 and up to half a dozen 08s.

The 1971 WTT showed 290+ paths through Radyr in a 24 hour period, the place was literally 'buzzing'

That's why I'm modelling South Wales.

Brian R

4 hours ago, br2975 said:

I spent many hours at Radyr, by then the 'hub' of Cardiff Valleys freight activity, where up to 16 Cl.37s stabled, and a brace of Cl.35 and up to half a dozen 08s.

The 1971 WTT showed 290+ paths through Radyr in a 24 hour period, the place was literally 'buzzing'

Around late '69 and '70 there were around 60 Class 37's officially allocated to Cardiff (Canton) and about 20 to Swansea (Landore). In a typical day at Radyr, roughly how many different Cardiff and Swansea based 37's would you see?

19 hours ago, Leyburn Kid said:

Around late '69 and '70 there were around 60 Class 37's officially allocated to Cardiff (Canton) and about 20 to Swansea (Landore). In a typical day at Radyr, roughly how many different Cardiff and Swansea based 37's would you see?

That's a hard one to answer off the top of my head.

Cardiff Valleys diagrams were 9C70 - 9C99, with 9C70-9C75 being Aberdare outbased, Canton Cl.37s, and 9C76-9C99 being Radyr outbased based Canton Cl.37s - albeit 2 or 3 were 'Control Trains' which had become Cl.35 duties.

One of the Radyr Cl.37s also worked the Sundays Only Cardiff - Treherbert passenger and newspaper working, having run light from Radyr very early, then returning the stock ECS from Treherbert to Canton, then running light to Radyr where the loco was tied down until Monday morning.

Although the  Cardiff Valleys WTT showed the various places a diagram could call at, this all depended on traffic demands, so one section of a diagram could be dropped.

Newport, Eastern & Western Valleys workings were covered in a separate  'trip working' booklet, which the Cardiff valleys seem to have stopped printing after around 1969, at least I've yet to see one published after that date.

There were also several 'E' trip workings, all Cl.08 workings after 1969, to places like Roath Line sidngs, cathays C&W, Mynachdy Coal depot, Pontypridd, Maesmawr, Treforest coal yard, Ely Paper Mill, PCN and Ferry Road.

The Aberdare Cl.08 'pilot' was the only shunter in the Cardiff Valleys rostered to work each Sunday, shunting Cwmbach and Abercwmboi..

In addition, Barry had one Cl.37 duty (all its' other duties were either Cl.08 or Cl.47 the latter for Aberthaw MGR workings) but that doesn't appear to have reached Radyr, under normal circumstances..

Llantrisant also had two Cl.37 diagrams, 9O96 & 9O98, but these didn't reach Radyr, only East Moors.

Newport, Ebbw Junction (Western Valleys) diagrams also reached Radyr, and further into the Cardiff Valleys; these were primarily Cl.37s (Canton locos outbased at Ebbw Junction or Aberbeeg) , but also Cl.25 (Ebbw Junction allocated).

In addition, there were a lot of (very early) Monday Only empty mineral workings from East Usk yard to both Radyr and/or Jersey Marine, running 'as required' with wagons for onward distribution at coal loading points, these could be either Ebbw Jct outbased Canton Cl.37s, or Canton outbased at Radyr Cl.37s.

I seem to recall at least one STJ Cl.37 diagram reached Radyr.

A 'foreign' (Tinsley) Cl.37 off the 8V66 ?? could make an appearance running light to Radyr to collect the 8E46 Radyr - Normanby Park.

It would be possible to 'calculate' the approximate number of Canton (and far, far fewer Landore) allox Cl.37s reaching Radyr each day by interrogating the relevant WTTs, but that would take some doing.

On top of the Cl.37s there would be the 'non-local' and foreign power

e.g.

A Bath Road Cl.42 or Cl.46 on the Avonmouth - Radyr empty Coke Hoppers and loaded return.

Canton Cl.35s or Landore Cl.52s on any Radyr -  West Drayton / Acton / Brent / Willesden / Aylesbury / Norwood Jcn 'Household Coal' turns, which started at Radyr or Jersey Marine, as required.

Nottingham Division Cl.45/46 on a Severn Tunnel Jct - Bargoed Pits coal empties, returning on the Bargoed Pits - Penshaw or Middlesbrough

And various other foreign 45/46/47s  on the many inter-regional freights originating from Radyr.

I almost forgot Canton (D19xx slow speed fitted) Cl.47s on MGRs, but usually they worked via Queen St in one direction, and Radyr in the other.; and there were two daily parcels workings from Cardiff - Pontypridd (Goods) which produced anything from a Cl.25, Cl.35 or Cl.37 and later a Cl.31.....When it was a (Canton) Cl.25 turn, it was the same Cl.25 that on returning from radyr, worked the Marshfield milk train, before acquiring a second Cl.25 to work the evening parcels, to Gloucester (IIRC).

Oh ! and we haven't even touched on DMU workings, 'footexes' or 'Mystexes'

I think I've drifted off topic slightly.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

Thanks Brian for that excellent reply on Radyr workings, the level of detail is mind blowing. I'm going to go through it again a bit later on, with my Railway Atlas in front of me, in order to analyse it. I've often seen as many as a dozen Cl.37's stabled by Newport station. Presumably in addition to all those Radyr workings there were several Cl.37 locos outbased there, running regular coal and steel trains to Llanwern? Were there occasionally Radyr hopper workings that went north through Hereford, as we used to see hopper trains going north through Shrewsbury?

Many thanks again.

As Radyr is, and has always been my local yard, it occupies a special place in my love of railways.

Radyr was so busy during the late 1960s that coal trains would queue, nose to tail between Radyr  Junction ( Radyr Station ) and Walnut Tree Junction ( Taffs Well ) due to the lack of capacity within the yard, it was literally a case of "one out, one in".

Hence, the reorganisation of freight working in South Wales that took place in stages during the late 1960s, with the emphasis on block workings and minimal marshalling wherever possible, and certain yards only taking certain traffic.

This resulted in what was known as 'Blocplan'

The second stage of Cardiff Valleys ‘Blockplan’ was introduced  from Monday, 14th. April, 1969, involving

Cl.37 – 28 locomotives, stabled weekends at                                                                           

Canton;                    3                                                                                                                           

Radyr;                      16                                                                                                                      

Aberdare;                 4                                                                                                                   

Llantrisant;               2 (1x shunts Bridgend, Bridgend West & Coity at nights)                                                                                                                       

Barry;                       2 (dual ? air braked)                                                                                                         

Severn Tunnel Jnc; 1

Cl.08                                                                                                                                    

Aberdare; 1 (shunts Abercwmboi - days, Aberdare – nights)                                                                                                                        

Radyr; 5 (i) Radyr Quarry Jnc. Pilot (ii) Radyr Top End Pilot (iii) Cathays C&W pilot – morning, Radyr pilot – afternoon (iv) Pontypridd & Treforest pilot.                                          

Llantrisant; 1                                                                                                                      

Barry; 5 (radio fitted for docks work)

Cl.47                                                                                                                                    

Barry; 2 (air brake fitted)

This resulted in the following locos being stabled at Radyr the following Sunday, 20th. April, 1969

3595, 3604, 3759, 4125,  6600,6875-boiler fitted, off early morning news/parcels train, 6886, 6906, 6908, 6938, 6957, 6971-off PW train, 6972, 6974, 6988-off PW train, 6990, 6991, 6992, 6994,  9518  

NB

The previous week, D9518 had worked the following Radyr trips;

06:15 Roath Branch

09:35 Roath Branch

14:20 Maindy                                                                                                             

and when this diagram was completed on Saturday, 19th. April, 1969, this was the last recorded revenue working of a Cl.14 loco on British Rail.                                                                                                                    

Commencing Monday, 21st April 1969 this would become a Cl.08 duty

Coal trains from Radyr, using the North & West route during 1971/1972 included;

image.png.590a9cd030257dac8d326bfc4a6cfbff.png

image.png.81628f325ee4b5232ac7687c436853b0.png

image.png.7b34125f74e11ffbad55920e71309d65.png

image.png.0bdf6c738853d2a76a302671affc5091.png

There would no doubt be others; at least one from the Western Valleys, and no doubt others from Margam / Jersey Marine.

The Cl.37s (and other locos) stabled at Godfrey Road adjacent to Newport High Street, were those which would have been stabled at Ebbw  Junction depot, had it not closed.

If there's more you think  I may be able to assist with, please let me know.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Brian. Thanks again, this is really helping me to firm up my view of South Wales. I've been looking at my WTT's for the LMR & WR, most of which cover 1978/9. Two of the Radyr freights you mention, still appear in 78/9. Radyr-Glazebrook is still 8M08, but the one I remember on Saturday mornings around 11.00/12.00, must have been Radyr-Shotwick (8M91) which by 78/9 was at 15.10. 

There are a couple of further things you may be able to help with.  Chris Neill's great book on the Hymek's gives detailed workings of the closing weeks of each loco, and really builds a picture of their regular duties. I wonder if you know which (if any) South Wales/ Paddington passenger services were regularly booked for Hymeks, and also Cardiff/Bristol- Portsmouth?

My other query is whether you have any info on trains in or out of Troste, near Llanelly. I know this is  much further along the main line, but I've never seen any pictures of any freights to/from, many of which went to Margam in the 78/9 WTT. My interest is that my first ever Cl.52, 1055 Western Advocate, was parked up in the sidings. Presumably there were coal trains/mineral wagons in, but what type wagons left, as I believe this was a tinplate works, rather than steelworks.

Once again, thanks for your help. 

Thanks for this fascinating insight into Radyr in the late 60s and early 70s.  Another question for Brian, you have not mentioned the PWM shunter.  Was it always there in the yard or did it ever do trips out?  What was its purpose as most of the other PWMs were in Continuously Welded Rail depots and used for sunday re-laying?  I only saw it away from the yard once around 1976 and then it was light engine with an 08 through Cardiff General going to Canton, but i never knew if this was just for fuel or maintainence.

Recalling the RO there was always a report of where every S Wales loco was stabled during the Xmas shut down, someone went to every shed and stabling point and recorded literally everything - I think they did it on Boxing Day to get aways from the family!

I remember a day trip to Cardiff on Friday before Xmas eve 1975 or 76.  The amount of freight through the station was literally mind blowing to a lad from the Midlands, there was a class 37 always in sight - fantastic days!

Cheers Tony

5 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Thanks for this fascinating insight into Radyr in the late 60s and early 70s.  Another question for Brian, you have not mentioned the PWM shunter.  Was it always there in the yard or did it ever do trips out?  What was its purpose as most of the other PWMs were in Continuously Welded Rail depots and used for sunday re-laying?  I only saw it away from the yard once around 1976 and then it was light engine with an 08 through Cardiff General going to Canton, but i never knew if this was just for fuel or maintainence.

Tony,

The sidings between the former GWR Loan Act shed (by 1968ish leased from BR by Powell Duffryn as a wagon repair facility) and the Taff Vale main lines from Llandaff for Whitchurch to Radyr Junction were used as a   Pre-Assembly Depot (PAD), where track sections were made up, as well as pointwork, for laying elsewhere.

The PW dept also recovered any re-usable fixtures and fittings here, such as chairs, keys, rail and sleepers.

The resident PWM was in use daily throughout the working week, and occasionally on weekends when needed to prepare PW trains if required.

The PWM stabled at the top of a path that led from a tunnel beneath the former TVR main lines, which joined a public footpath that started at Radyr Station, led along the rear of Radyr Junction 'box, as far as the River Taff, and allowed quicker and safer access to the shed than that described by the late Flt. Lt. Aidan Fuller, and which guaranteed access without being noticed wandering through the yard..

I never saw the Radyr PWM working on any PW possessions locally, but I have no doubt it escaped occasionally.

The rules regarding movement, and use of the PWM shunters had their own entry in the Sectional Appendix.

Over the years, I saw all but one of the PWMs here, albeit PWM651 was the most well known resident, followed by 97653.

Any overhauls or attention was carried out at Canton, and was invariably towed there and back by any available loco.

One school holiday in the late 60s, a friend and I accessed the yard through the tunnel I described above, and the driver of the PWM(651) invited us into the cab and we spent the morning driving and shunting the PAD, obviously with the driver making full use of the dual controls.

Despite still living within walking distance of the (former) complex, I now have no reason to visit; albeit I did take my grandsons to Radyr station last weekend, which has changed almost beyond recognition....and the yard and shed are now a housing estate, showing no signs of what went before.

Brian R

13 hours ago, Leyburn Kid said:

There are a couple of further things you may be able to help with.  Chris Neill's great book on the Hymek's gives detailed workings of the closing weeks of each loco, and really builds a picture of their regular duties. I wonder if you know which (if any) South Wales/ Paddington passenger services were regularly booked for Hymeks, and also Cardiff/Bristol- Portsmouth?

My other query is whether you have any info on trains in or out of Troste, near Llanelly. I know this is  much further along the main line, but I've never seen any pictures of any freights to/from, many of which went to Margam in the 78/9 WTT. My interest is that my first ever Cl.52, 1055 Western Advocate, was parked up in the sidings. Presumably there were coal trains/mineral wagons in, but what type wagons left, as I believe this was a tinplate works, rather than steelworks.

Once again, thanks for your help. 

By around 1970-1971 Hymeks  were in reality only guaranteed on the Cardiff - Bristol - Pompey axis, and summer dated Cardiff - Weymouth passenger trains, originating from Cardiff; albeit there was a Bristol - Swansea and return Hymek hauled diagram.

I may have greater details, somewhere.

At one stage around the turn of the 70s,  all freight workings in West Wales (west of Carmarthen) were Hymek duties, and many passenger workings allocated to Cl.37s, but not all.

The Hymeks were really useful mixed-traffic locos, a diesel 'Hall', but by the end of 1971, Canton's allocation was decimated by the great hydraulic cull of that October..

By 1971/1972 there were only 4 timetabled trains in and out of  Trostre, all trips from Margam, probably all conveying coil for tinplating, and using either bogie hot coil wagons, or the beds of Bogie Bolster D wagons; and no doubt other wagons; Classes 35, 37,47 and 52 could be seen on such workings..

See the photo below, of a Margam-Trostre or Velindre coil working passing Port Talbot (altho, at a pinch,  it could be export coil bound for Swansea Docks).

Being a brand new, purpose built plant, Trostre had no need of bulk coal deliveries, and its steel coils were supplied by the Margam works.

Other services would call at Llandilo Junction, from where any Trostre traffic would no doubt be tripped by the local pilot.

Llandilo Junction not only a hub for local freight workings, but also for services to and from Langley Green, Winson Green and Whitemoor; the former two destinations trains collected further traffic at places like Briton Ferry, Long Dyke and severn Tunnel Junction after the local services were reorganised.

Local coal workings in the Neath / Swansea / Llanelli area all ran with ?B?? headcodes, and I suspect were subject of 'trip working books'  as they don't feature in the main WTTs.

Other than Margam, the best place to catch locos 'in bulk' in this area, was at Swansea Eastern Depot ( not to be confused with the former Swansea East Dock steam shed ) after midday on a Saturday where one could find a brace of 03s, perhaps 5-6 Cl.08s and 9-10 Cl.37s, and until 1968/1969, perhaps a pair of Cl.14s.................a couple more o3s, and 08s would be on shed at Landore, but the rest of the locos at Landore would be mainline types easily seen elsewhere.............(except perhaps  the boiler fitted 37s )

Brian R

Cl.35-Unidentified-Port Talbot-undated.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rail-Online said:

We all really appreciate your knowledge. Was there re-fuelling facilities at Radyr for the PWM andother stabling locos, or was the former filled up by fuel from barrels ?

You're welcome Tony.

There were no fuelling facilities at Radyr, for 'mainline' locos.

I never saw the PWM refuelled, but, considering the PAD also had at least one crane, I suspect the PWM was fuelled on site, as would be the crane(s).

Brian R

This image has featured on RMweb previously.

It has been stitched together ( by my son ) from two photographs taken in 1973 by Mike the "Stationmaster" of this parish, during his time at Radyr, and is as good a panorama as you are likely to view.

Taken from a lighting tower, Radyr station, and Radyr Junction signal box were directly behind Mike when he took captured this scene.

On the extreme left we have the four tracks of the Taff Vale main line, and we are looking toward Llandaff (for Whitchurch) and eventually Cardiff (Queen Street). 

Moving to the right, we can see the PAD with the PWM(651) and a raft of wagons carrying concrete sleepers or new prefabricated track; the roads between the two 'goods shed' looking buildings all form part of the PAD.

In the distance we can see the former GWR 'Loan Act' Radyr engine shed which by the time of Mike's photo was used by Powell Duffryn as a wagon repair facility, an adjunct to their main works further down the TVR mainline near Cathays C&W.

I found Radyr shed immediately after steam ended, in the summer of 1965, and used to love wandering through the deserted shed on a Sunday morning, along rows of Cl.08s, Cl.37s, Cl.14s and the occasional BR (WR) 0-6-0DE shunter.

The only sound was the 'tick tick tick' of the 37s.

In the middle of the photo is the 'van road' where an eccentric known as 'Johnny Chopsticks' would attend to the brake vans, cleaning them and stocking up on kindling (which he obtained from the local woods), and a supply of coal.

After locos ceased to be stabled in the former engine shed, around 1967/1968, they would be stabled in the yard, usually on roads around, and above the Cl.37 seen in this image.

For a few years, locos were stabled alongside Radyr station, but for several reasons eg complaints from residents in Heol Isaf,   the road above the stabling point, also leaking oil,  and out of sight of the only railwayman on duty on say Sundays , the Radyr Junction bobby, but exposed to the attentions of passing yobs  ( a then uncommon creature in Radyr ) saw loco stabling moved back into the yard around 74/75 and the station stabling roads eventually became an extended car park.

To the right of the Cl.37 are the freight only lines of what was originally the Penarth Harbour & Dock Railway which curves around to pass Radyr Quarry Junction 'box, which can be seen in the distance.

At Radyr Quarry the PH&D continued on, to reach Penarth Curve North Junction, wich was located between canton depot and Ninian Park football ground......but, another line veered off to the left at Radyr Quarry, known as the 'Llandaff Loop' which rejoined the TVR mainline at Llandaff (for Whitchurch); allowing trains for (i) Llantrisant, Margam and all points west to leave the yard and via Cardiff (Queen St)  access the (Down) South Wales Main Line at Cardiff General, and (ii) Roath Line Sidings, the Roath Branch to Cardiff Docks and Cathays C&W to leave the yard without setting back at Radyr Junction (behind the photographer).

The PH&D remains open, after passenger services were introduced along the line in 1987, and is known as 'The City Line' - the TVR mainline, now reduced from 4 lines to 2 also remains; everything else in this photo has disappeared, and is now a large housing development.

The 1971-1972 WTT showed 292 paths through this photo every 24hrs on a weekday, including freight, trips, parcels and DMU services between Barry Island/Penarth and Pontypridd, Treherbert and Merthyr.

As we lived the other side of the wooded hill behind Radyr Quarry 'box, the continual sound of shunting was an ever present, but never intrusive.

Brian R

Radyr Yard 1973-Mike Romans stitched by LAR.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 8

Hi Brian.

More great info. It's really helpful to see the picture, and the wagons are just as I imagined they would be. 

My fascination with South Wales started with holidays in  Pembrokeshire, and visiting cousins in Camarthenshire. Often you could see 2 or 3 Cl.35's stabled by Haverfordwest and Whitland stations. My understanding was, as you suggested, that in the last couple of years before the cull, Cl.35's carried out most freight in West Wales, and Cl.37's in East Wales.

Presumably some usage on passenger services on the South Wales mainline was down to availability. I spent two afternoons spotting on Swansea station with my long suffering mum (she read a book!) and one with my brother, who insisted we find Landore. The split of passenger trains at Swansea on those three afternoons was probably about 40% Cl.52, 30-35% Cl.47 and 25-30% Cl.35. Possibly some of those Hymek workings were local, or the Bristol diagram you mentioned. Was it your understanding that there were definite booked diagrams on the South Wales mainline, or simply availability?

My South Wales collection is taking shape, I've got hold of the South Wales Pullman, a Cl.03 shunter used on trip freights to Coed Bach washery. Your photo has now made it clear what I need for Trostre tinplate works. Perhaps my favourite moment as a spotter was standing on the bank behind  Landore shed when the Kensington Olympia-Fishguard motorail came roaring round the corner behind a Western with about 6/7 carriages and never ending stream of carflats. So I've got some carflats! On the GSYP Cl.37, it looks like a choice between 6600, D6890 and D6906 as these were the latest available sightings/photos.

Thanks again

TONY

8 hours ago, Leyburn Kid said:

Hi Brian.

More great info. It's really helpful to see the picture, and the wagons are just as I imagined they would be. 

My fascination with South Wales started with holidays in  Pembrokeshire, and visiting cousins in Camarthenshire. Often you could see 2 or 3 Cl.35's stabled by Haverfordwest and Whitland stations. My understanding was, as you suggested, that in the last couple of years before the cull, Cl.35's carried out most freight in West Wales, and Cl.37's in East Wales.

Presumably some usage on passenger services on the South Wales mainline was down to availability. I spent two afternoons spotting on Swansea station with my long suffering mum (she read a book!) and one with my brother, who insisted we find Landore. The split of passenger trains at Swansea on those three afternoons was probably about 40% Cl.52, 30-35% Cl.47 and 25-30% Cl.35. Possibly some of those Hymek workings were local, or the Bristol diagram you mentioned. Was it your understanding that there were definite booked diagrams on the South Wales mainline, or simply availability?

Hello again Tony,

In the time we are discussing, Hymeks were more common on frieght west of Cardiff than they were on passenger; but one very common working was the

2C08 06:40 Weston-super-Mare, 07:30 Bristol - Swansea, and

1B53 15:55 Swansea - Bristol, return

The make up of this service altered through the life of the 71/72 WTT

The winter timetable make up of the train returning from Swansea was;

BG, SK, SK, BCK plus "Enparts" van Landore - Swindon Tuesday - Friday. The 'Enparts' van was detached at Cardiff.

1B53  didn't run on summer Saturdays, as the 15:55 Swansea - York ran in its path as far as Newport.

Hymeks had worked freights such as Margam - Carmarthen, Margam - Haverfordwest, Margam - Fishguard Harbour and Trecwn, as well as the 'milk branches' from Carmarthen. 

Speaking of Whitland;

Whitland and Carmarthen depots combined from 3rd. March, 1969, albeit Whitland remained open as a signing on point until 20th. April, 1969 from when a Cl.08 still stabled in the yard, and the fuelling point remained in place for emergency use.

On  Sunday,15th November, 1969 that loco was D4002, and on 27th. May 1970 it was D3753..

From 5th. October 1969 the 05:50 Whitland – Pembroke Dock  reverted to Cl.35 haulage. This train had had the locomotive from the Kensington milk, but that loco now  returned to Llanelli to work a Langley Green freight.

On Saturday, 22nd. November, 1969, The following were at Carmarthen;  D3744 – station pilot, 3986 – spare, 1596 rostered to work Whitland-Kensington milk , D7091 – 16:40 Milford Haven (which 'may' have started at Swansea),     D7088 – Newcastle Emlyn branch freight

On Saturday, 3rd. July 1971 1022 ‘Western Sentinel’ worked the 10:45 Cardiff – Haverfordwest parcels. The loco duty returned with the ( 6M12 ?? ) 20:25 Whitland-Kensington ‘perishables’ which on this date loaded to 50+ milk tanks and Conflats.

On Saturday 1st. January, 1972 D7088 worked 1C26 01.05 Bristol - Milford Haven from Swansea to Carmarthan,  thence 7C31 05.50 Carmarthan Junction - Whitland.

The following day, Sunday 2nd it worked 8Z45 Whitland engineers trip and on Monday, 3rd January 1972 D7088 ran LD to Canton for store and withdrawal; along with 7056, 7057, 7065, 7070, 7086 which had been officially withdrawn at Canton on 1st. January, .

Hope this helps ?

Regards

Brian R

Edited by br2975