British flagship locomotives/trains as in 'equivalents' to the DB TEE Class VT 11.5 or DB Class 103 (or now Intercity Express)?

On 24/04/2021 at 18:44, DK123GWR said:

I have to agree with the consensus here. If we're discussing iconic passenger trains (in the modern era at least) the HST is undoubtedly the champion - the world speed record holder which revolutionised British passenger transport. Similarly, the Westerns and the Deltics are iconic thanks to being synonymous with the fastest and most prestigious trains in their regions and to their numbers - common enough to be seen but uncommon enough to retain a level of novelty.

Outside of the passenger world, I can't believe we haven't mentioned the humble 08. Distinctive, functional, and reminiscent of a steam loco, recognisable to any child as 'Diesel' and omnipresent in their day. An enourmously successful locomotive with almost 200 remaining in service or preservation, surely this has to be recognised for the 'general appreciation by enthusiasts or the general public' which the first post mentioned as a key criterion. One of my earliest railway memories was seeing an FGW 08 out of the window of a train and being so struck by it that I immediately wanted one (if only they did a RailRoad FGW version, I might have stood a chance of getting one).

This is very interesting! Many thanks for your comment. 

8 hours ago, billbedford said:

Well at least the SR didn't name one of their locos Everard. A company that has outlasted most of the 'Famous Names' they did choose. 

And naming Deltics after race horses is just inspired. Most names are probably better than a number that includes a check digit (as in the German numbering system since 1968).

Edited by AchimK
Clarification

5 hours ago, AchimK said:

And naming Deltics after race horses is just inspired. Most names are probably better than a number that includes a check digit (as in the German numbering system since 1968).

Naming East Coast express passenger locomotives after racehorses goes all the way back to L.N.E.R. No. 4473 Solario, in 1923.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 08:45, 62613 said:

Naming East Coast express passenger locomotives after racehorses goes all the way back to L.N.E.R. No. 4473 Solario, in 1923.

That's very interesting - many thanks.