Sprog II

Peter Clare

I have been using my Sprog2 for many years : plug in  and the com4 appears in device manages and all has worked OK..

Yesterday, plugged it in and no com4...therefore it will not work.

I updated the sprog software and java software, but still no joy..

Anyone any thoughts ?

Peter Clare

I tried the Sprog 2 on an older windows 10 drive..that worked ok...so nothing wrong with the sprog unit or USB cable: comes up on com3..

Back on the new windows 10 drive [latest version] the other drive was an older version.

The com3 is grayed out ?? compared with com1..??

The unit has appeared under other devices..

The pc dings when the unit is plugged in..

I am lost for an answer..possibly something to do with USB drivers ? But there again it did work..

Peter Clare

Sprog 2 B.JPG

I'd hazard a guess that you need to re-install the drivers for the Sprog.   There are instructions on the Sprog website about how to do it, and also how to identify which version of the Sprog you have (because the driver situation is different for different hardware).  If the older hardware it can be a faff, to disable "driver signing", do the installation, then driver signing is re-enabled (automatically).  

The Com port number allocated is semi-random; Windows just issues them as it sees new devices.  So whilst you may have COM3, you might find another Windows which has allocated COM3 to something else, and uses a different number.  

- Nigel

Nigel..thanks for the information..It got me thinking..

A few months ago I was given a Sprog 3, so I tried that..and hay-presto it worked..

Over the months I must have downloaded the Sprog 3 software, instead of the Sprog 2 software..Looks like this was causing the error..

regards

Peter Clare

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I'd hazard a guess that you need to re-install the drivers for the Sprog.   There are instructions on the Sprog website about how to do it, and also how to identify which version of the Sprog you have (because the driver situation is different for different hardware).  If the older hardware it can be a faff, to disable "driver signing", do the installation, then driver signing is re-enabled (automatically).  

- Nigel

IIRC the driver for the early Sprogs needs a two stage install, so you have to disable driver signing twice.

(Also with the Lenz LI-USB, which uses the same chip)

Edited by melmerby

On 25/04/2021 at 09:45, melmerby said:

IIRC the driver for the early Sprogs needs a two stage install, so you have to disable driver signing twice.

You can do the two-step installation after disabling signing, no need to do it twice.