Alexandra Wharf V2 - OO in a Really Useful Box

11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Really, really obvious idea warning ...

How about tyre fenders? Others positioned along the dock edge would help disguise your point rods!

Looking great, and I particularly like the gates (mental note - another idea to steal emulate!)

HOURS OF FUN!

Obvious to you, but that idea had completely slipped my thoughts! That's perfect, I'll definitely look into that one.

• Like 2

Over the past few evenings there's been some slow-but-steady progress on the grain silo building. Not that you can tell at first glance!1667005718_13.Siloplatfromcanopy(1).jpg.70f4d390a2a6113dc99067c10eb616de.jpg

The most obvious addition is the platform and canopy I've been hammering on about for ages now. In the end I went with a simple brick platform rather than a skeletal conrete one - it was simpler, and I wanted a little more brickwork at low level to differentiate the yard floor from the silo wall. The canopy is "concrete" however, simply a couple of sheets of card with some supports underneath.

1127753766_13.Siloplatfromcanopy(3).jpg.9e53e0fd908bec6796d11de22d63e992.jpg

1434026645_13.Siloplatfromcanopy(2).jpg.40b4ee90a32c5eb6e8effae392210c21.jpg

The canopy has ended up *very* close to the van roofs - especially since the 4 supports don't really do much, most of the height setting is achieved by being fixed between walls at both ends.

Once the canopy was in place I could finally split the main silo wall - I needed the canopy in place first so I could place the split line behind it to conceal it. The upper structure isn't as solid as the two towers, since it it flatter and thus has less front-back support. I should probably devise a system to secure it to the two towers, given how stable they seem to be.

Finally, the least obvious thing that's changed is that all of the lower structures - the lower tower sections, the platform and the loading shed - are now fixed to the baseboard. This makes everything significantly more stable - no more building collapses every time I open my drawers! And even better, when the upper sections are removed, it all fits in the box as intended!

797301542_13.Siloplatfromcanopy(5).jpg.8bdc0a9ce085865004e5f7df5bb4bcc6.jpg

And when the extra bits are packed flat, the lid still fits on - phew! to my surprise I didn't even need to take the rolling stock out for this photo, although I expect I will when I have a few more building elements to jigsaw into place.

993984738_13.Siloplatfromcanopy(8).jpg.f4ca4b0395ff2ac093f1223eab4d3d79.jpg

There's a few final polishes to add - lead flashing and bargeboards for the loading shed, downpipes on the towers, and painting some of the bare paper and card into more concrete-y colours. But the silo is finally getting there!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

Great progress, and your last photos are “proof of concept”.

Does your baseboard sit on top of the empty box? If so, all you would need is a normal height table plus your box on top to raise the layout closer to eye level (to get the full effect of your talk buildings).

Which of course begs the question - would you exhibit this when complete?

You could, say, run it for half an hour, then demonstrate collapsing it down into the box, take a quick Q&A session about it’s construction (or have a laptop with a rolling PowerPoint using your thread photos to illustrate the process), take quick break, and then put it together before operating again. Brilliant way of demonstrating “everyone has room for a layout” and I am sure exhibition managers would snap you up!!

Great modelling!

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Which of course begs the question - would you exhibit this when complete?

I can't deny I've been thinking about this. This is my first micro-layout where exhibitions are feasible - being a fairly rigid layout with it's own dedicated storage/transport box means it should be possible for me to take this anywhere, even potentially by public transport.

I would say I'm not sure whether the layout would be interesting enough to operate for an entire weekend, but then I've exhibited my cliff railway before - and since that was arduino-powered, all I needed to do was press a button occasionally!

I think I'd want to test it's reliability first; probably need to reinforce my uncouplers, and maybe retro-fit microswitches to the electrofrog points, although that could be tricky now they're in-situ. But the layout does indeed sit neatly on top of the empty box, and so far packing away/setting up seems fairly quick and robust (it's almost like I planned it!), so doing an exhibition isn't out of the question...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I would say I'm not sure whether the layout would be interesting enough to operate for an entire weekend,

If it is robust enough that you are able to demonstrate packing it away and putting it up again, I think that would be your USP to exhibition managers and would demonstrate to the public how to go about having a micro in even the smallest of living spaces!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I'm not sure whether the layout would be interesting enough to operate for an entire weekend,

...so you'd need a second operator, to release you to go look at the rest of the show and vice versa. 

I'm sure you'd have no shortage of volunteers if you put out a plea on here! *puts name down:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just because I've been working on my dairy-in-an-ice-cream-tub, doesn't mean I've been neglecting this wharf layout... OK, I have, but not entirely.

Despite the over-the-track warehouse being a key part of a quay layout, with the rest of the layout at the right-hand end being much more built-up than the open left-hand end it didn't feel very "balanced". Also I like being able to see my trains as much as possible, which is kind of difficult when they're in/behind/under buildings. So I took it off.

But now I need to obscure the sector plate again. What I've decided to go for is a simple (although somewhat decorative) wall taken as far into the "v" of the two lines as possible; the loading tower at the front has then been nudged right a bit to further conceal the unrealistically tight nature of the affair. The loading conveyor will be retained as far left as possible on the tower however; a further bridge, the trusty girder pipe/footbridge thingymabob from Arrow Paints and Alexandra Wharf V1, spans from the older warehouse to the loading tower too. Finally, another pair of gates is positioned over the rails between the loading tower and the wall; these indicate the front siding to be a different, private section of the dock, which makes the wall more believable and provides some interesting low-level views.

126117711_14.Right-handoptioneering(5).jpg.eafdce1cd76181cbeed5f79ffcfd161d.jpg

1639312437_14.Right-handoptioneering(6).jpg.2e7efa16909853921a911b30356d6cec.jpg

Something I haven't quite decided on is the height of this dividing wall; too high and it's unrealistic as a simple property dividing line, but too short and you can see onto the sector plate too easily. It'll have to be somewhere in the middle.

2027639381_14.Right-handoptioneering(8).jpg.a05e3166eabab3ce408628b54cd7b605.jpg

60829343_14.Right-handoptioneering(1).jpg.da46a5186f3ca0deae09ebcc951c0c0b.jpg

But this view between the gates into the main yard is pretty good, although difficult to get a camera to focus on. I don't think the gates will "work", but I'll certainly have a go at making proper hinges for them so they can be posed in the shut position if I want to.

1249798025_14.Right-handoptioneering(9).jpg.663c20ff185c2739e236a691ca8b226b.jpg

As usual, that's all I've got for now. I should start making the older warehouses soon, but I need to find some good brick paper first. I'd hoped the Scale Model Scenery stuff I bought would be a good colour, but it's too similar to the Superquick brick I've used on the grain silo - I'd prefer a browner brick, just for a bit of variance and to indicate age.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/07/2021 at 18:36, simonmcp said:

You could have a high wall by making it look like a back wall of a recently demolished building.

Interesting idea. I still think the presence of a building right between the tracks would look off, but I might consider it.

The last two evenings, I've been paying attention to the loading tower and conveyor. I started by building a proper structure to replace the mock-ups. No prizes for guessing what I built it from!

213251388_15.Conveyorstructure(2).jpg.026fbfe6d5e8405cfdc8d5f5be5f5af0.jpg

(Side-note: the small office has also finally got it's roof tiles: I printed them ages ago, but only just got around to cutting them into strips and gluing them on.)

The loading tower is mostly based on the structure(s) at Ipswich, as illustrated in photos in the first two pages of @SteveyDee68's Blackford Wharf thread. Most notable is the tall, thin, protruding loading aparatus from the front of the structure; I've left an opening in the front of this building to build one, currently represented by the outer casing of a long-dead biro.

As usual, the whole building splits to allow it to fit in the box; in this case the joint is quite obvious, but it also lines up with the overhang in the building. The conveyor roof will also be a removable section, yet to be built at this point.

1716076915_15.Conveyorstructure(1).jpg.869fc9c36a0cd97dc50bb4ddf82aca8d.jpg

And then it came to the cladding. I had long ago decided to use the Scalescenes "painted corrugated iron" texture; however, I wasn't sure what colour to use. I decided to try to mimic the faded-green look of the Ipswich structure, in a vague attempt to break up the brown-and-grey nature of the layout so far. I used MS Word's colour correction tool to add the tint, then printed it - but rather than using plain A4, I decided to try a sheet of A4-sized sticker/label paper, the kind that peels off to reveal an adhesive backing, that my housemate had purchased to make postage labels.

This meant applying the cladding the building was a simple case of scoring the printed surface, then peeling it off and applying it to the structure - much quicker, not to mention less messy and smelly, than smearing Pritt stick over everything. To get some level of texture I applied the cladding in strips, so each layer of iron slightly overlaps the one below.

993693609_15.Conveyorcladding(1).jpg.ba8901b9d6b96dfd807fdd966e62899e.jpg

Finally, here's the building with the roofs added (although not yet clad) and back on the layout.

1706468536_15.Conveyorcladding(2).jpg.deeb5683ddeeb559917273e956709825.jpg

2053614134_15.Conveyorcladding(6).jpg.1d26b2dcf9f93ad6221633ebd8bccdc7.jpg

1512783231_15.Conveyorcladding(4).jpg.4285c727e1b6e6bfd02bdd380827e7b3.jpg

But no I need some opinions. I'm very happy with the structure, the shape, and the sticky labels worked perfectly and I'll probably stick (geddit?) to using them in future, certainly for instances where lots of small applications are necessary.

What I'm not so certain on is the colour. I was trying to imitate the faded green look, as displayed in photos in this post:

What do you think of my attempt, and ? My housemate said it was grey, but then he's green-yellow colourblind so probably not a good person to ask! Personally I can't decide if it's too pale overall, or just plain since I haven't weathered it yet. Or maybe it's just because I decided it was too close to "surgical green", and now I'm never going to un-see that. Tricky one.

• Like 3

I printed onto pale green paper to get colour saturation, so I have a much darker shade than you have achieved, but using the recolour function in Word is genius! I am so going to copy that technique!

Overall, I think you have caught the look of the structure spot on - and I am definitely going to steal the old biro trick for the mechanism, too. Entirely up to you regarding whether the colour is right. And, of course, if you decide it isn't right when you have weathered it, you can always do it again - card and paper, boom!

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Steve S

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Multigauge and @SteveyDee68. After your comments I decided to sleep on it a bit, to see if the colour grew on me. It did to an extent, so I had a go at weathering it.

Mostly I attacked the structure with heavily watered-down acrylics - mostly black, dark grey and reddish-brown. This mixture was made in very small amounts and therefore changed as I went along, to keep things varied. I also regularly added a small amount of ash; this both added a varied grey colour as well as the texture.

The paint was applied with a small brush to the corners, under the overlaps of the cladding, and a few large patches above each track. In some places the water has caused the printer ink to run a little bit, but I think the overall effect is pretty good - much less like plain. or as I later decided it looked like, mint ice-cream. And I still haven't done the roof cladding yet!

2085525027_16.Conveyorconcreteweathering(2).jpg.884e49cfb622ad4d4acb0d4639e0268d.jpg

In the front siding area, I've built a slightly-decorative wall with a recessed panel and end pillars, and mounted the pair of gates. These can be posed at any angle; I simply glued the gates to a long pin each, which pivots in a hole in the ground as well as a tiny tab fixing them to the adjacent wall near the top to keep them upright.

261087172_16.Conveyorconcreteweathering(5).jpg.11e23a6a4c0596434769374ba62ec5ae.jpg

Finally, whilst I had the paints out, I also scored and weathered joint lines in the concrete hardstanding. I tried not to go too overboard since I like the fairly smooth look.

30224278_16.Conveyorconcreteweathering(3).jpg.e3e6b30b454c0b72727a53ba701f55bd.jpg

500665512_16.Conveyorconcreteweathering(4).jpg.e08e1f638ad23d88e20372be833d607b.jpg

It seems I'm getting better at this weathering malarky, maybe I should have a little go on the 04 sooner or later.

Anyway, I think this little layout is coming together quite nicely! It's mostly just that pesky warehouse building and the dock to sort out now...

16. Conveyor & concrete weathering (1).jpg

Edited by TechnicArrow
doubled-up photo
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 12/07/2021 at 18:17, Ian Holmes said:

I'm just loving the way the buildings dominate the layout. It contributes to the realism and atmosphere

Thank you! I'm glad I kept the tall buildings from the diorama, they make the layout seem much larger than it really is. And they really dominate the trains - especially this next one...

There's not been much modelling over the past week, since it's been too nice outside. However, there is a new arrival in my fleet. I actually bought the loco in question about three weeks ago, but hid it from myself until today - results day!

So, upon waking up this morning and after I'd learnt that after 4 years of work I've graduated Swansea with a 1st Class Honours (woop!), I opened my little present to myself:

1815569730_17.AndrewBarclay!(1).jpg.cb4ed5dbb877f93bc7abbf59bfa1f49c.jpg

Clearly, 'tis a Hattons Andrew Barclay, as I'm sure most of you will recognise by this point.

However, it's special to me, since this is the first brand-new loco I've bought for myself - up until this point I've always bought second-hand. I decided I should probably buy a proper little industrial steam shunter for my plethora of layouts, and although Hornby's Pecketts are nice I wanted something in BR black and I really like the shape of these squared-off saddletanks, so I bought one!

801987080_17.AndrewBarclay!(3).jpg.7a75af91c419ae67d91a20eec1431352.jpg

And this diminutive little engine really is dwarfed by everything - it even makes the 04 look big!

517523574_17.AndrewBarclayvs04.jpg.c9d7268ca7f2cea2a7d4bc4ccd975056.jpg

930629123_17.AndrewBarclay!(4).jpg.86a585b762d8b8afd41381f106122dc5.jpg

1385938040_17.AndrewBarclay!(5).jpg.5e0ce12e89381c61aec0561415c51d95.jpg

Already it looks at home posing on this layout.

My plan is that it won't retain it's current identity as 705 for very long - with some custom nameplates (already on order from Light Railway Stores) it will become 1140, an engine that ran on the docks railways around Swansea, which this layout is somewhat inspired by. There's a few photos of it online, the one I see most is near the bottom of the page: http://www.swanseadocks.co.uk/docksnewsite/railwayslowlevel.html. Clearly it's not quite the same variant of loco, but it's close enough for my purposes. And I should probably get a proper crew for it as well, to add to populate the exquisitely detailed cab.

She doesn't really run very well yet, fresh out the box - but I'm moving back home over the weekend, back to my home layout where I can run her in properly. Maybe I should make a video - or maybe I should actually finish this layout first...

17. Andrew Barclay! (2).jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold

CONGRATU-FLIPPING-LATIONS! I only managed a CertHE attending uni part-time by distance learning, and THAT was such a mission I have nothing but respect for those who achieve what you have done. You must be thrilled. 

As for the Andrew Barclay - I need RUNNING VIDEOS and I need them NOW! :laugh_mini:

Seriously, I have had my eye on one of these for months and months, but I'm reticent to buy one because of the uneven track in my Boxfile layout, and the huge gaping drops in the frogs of the Setrack points which cause wheels to drop in and remove the opposite wheel's contact from the track. I didn't want to pay out all that money for something that was going to stutter on wonky Setrack points. 

But if it runs a dream, even on a roller-coaster.... :) 

So don't start celebrating just yet, get filming! :laugh_mini:

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Yesterday was the ultimate proof of the layout-in-a-box concept: moving-out time!

Of course, that meant it wasn't just this layout, but all three of the railways I ended up with...

PXL_20210717_125249120.jpg.f22e8eaad4e3df3a6f1301d9cf6c1b80.jpg

The Really Useful Box definitely lived up to it's name. It was rammed full, with both layout, stock (in the stock compartments built into the baseboard, which proved invaluable), and extra items like the loco boxes and tools. In comparison with the rickety stack of shoeboxes that is Arrow Paints when disassembled, there's a stark contrast!

On 15/07/2021 at 22:41, Andrew D said:

As for the Andrew Barclay - I need RUNNING VIDEOS and I need them NOW! :laugh_mini:

Seriously, I have had my eye on one of these for months and months, but I'm reticent to buy one because of the uneven track in my Boxfile layout, and the huge gaping drops in the frogs of the Setrack points which cause wheels to drop in and remove the opposite wheel's contact from the track. I didn't want to pay out all that money for something that was going to stutter on wonky Setrack points. 

But if it runs a dream, even on a roller-coaster.... :) 

Well. Out of the box, the running is, as can be expected, terrible - she could barely move 10mm without stalling. But when you follow the instructions and run it in in both directions, it soon smooths out. Clearly my micro-layouts are unsuitable for running-in, but since I'm at home now I could plonk her on the main layout, couple up a maintenance train, and send her on her merry way...

5gvxcl.gif.700828e4f941d8415eaa66f6dd36a053.gif

After only about 15 minutes of running she was already crawling much more satisfactorily, even over the track of the main home layout which hasn't been used or cleaned in several months.  That said she still tends to stall or drop into the enormous frogs on the old curved points in the yard; I will wait until I've given her some more running in, a light oil and a test back on Alexandra Wharf before I give my final verdict.

But I still love how diminutive she looks - barely bigger than the van wagon she's pulling!

On 16/07/2021 at 01:02, SteveyDee68 said:

Although I have one, major caveat with the loco, seeing your pictures here ...

Now I want one!!

Given your profile picture I was always under the impression you had one! I can confirm they're stunning little locos. The detail in and around the cab is superb, although on the variant I got the running plate at the front end looks a little smooth and empty. But I have plans to resolve that...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Clearly my micro-layouts are unsuitable for running-in

I feel your pain! The other day I had to give a just-cleaned-and-lubricated loco I was 'resurrecting' for use on one of my switching layouts a good run-in, and I had to let it run on my 'Pizza' layout for about 20 minutes before trying it on my Box Street layout. Luckily, it could handle the 11 inch curves on that micro or I would have been reduced to running it back and forth on the longest switching layout I have (a bit over 4 feet) and having to keep nudging it when it stalled on points until it started running ok - that would have got pretty old pretty quick!

Regards, James

On 18/07/2021 at 19:11, TechnicArrow said:

Given your profile picture I was always under the impression you had one!

You are indeed correct, my profile picture is of my first brand new purchased loco, a Hattons "Katie", from back in the day when they sold her at full price (and not £10 cheaper than all other versions because they had massive stocks of her left!)

However, I've liked the look of the BR liveried AB but it was your photos that made me start drooling for real! Must resist! My last loco purchase is possibly the complete opposite of such a tiny loco, being the Bulleid diesel by Kernow - obviously, that loco is not destined for Blackford Wharf or Castlebrook Sidings, and would almost fill the entire baseboard of DRS Engineering! (I exaggerate, but you get the idea!)

Your proof of concept picture of your layout packed into the really useful crate is one of the things that makes me suggest your layout would be great for exhibiting - not just for getting it there, but to demonstrate to the public how they also could have room for a layout!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
spullink
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2021 at 20:26, SteveyDee68 said:

It's been a while since we heard anything from you @TechnicArrow - I do hope all is okay?

Steve S

It has, hasn't it? Sorry about that, summer kind of got in the way as I thought it might! What with being at home, and the layout sitting in it's box on a shelf, the need to unpack it on the table before I can do anything to it has rather stalled progress.

There has been something happening though, that I haven't got around to posting yet - I dug around in the garage and found a length of ridged transparent plastic c-channel, which will support either the same Ikea LEDs from Arrow Paints, or an alternative LED strip. It will probably be held aloft by meccano L-strips that can be bolted to the front of the layout - overall a far cleaner and sturdier solution than the cardboard setup I used on Arrow Paints! Here, have a terrible photo:

PXL_20210725_165521891.jpg.b07db394724e3e13608cd779fbf73af2.jpg

And to make up for that image, here's a better one from when I posed 3705 on the layout:

PXL_20210720_164940305.jpg.e6d38283d6fb6d8cb55b990e851f2545.jpg

With it's longer wheelbase and extra axle, not to mention being the smoothest of my locos, the pannier has no trouble on the layout - it's just the livery is for the wrong era for this layout. Maybe I could buy a different bodyshell for it.

However, I'm moving into my new student house next weekend, so things should start picking up again properly soon - it's high time I sorted out this second warehouse!

• Like 8

Great to hear from you! I know the feeling about stalling* - my summer has been spent organising a music library, building storage in the percussion store, mopping up from floods from multiple leaking roofs, and various jobs in the garden culminating with taking apart the old shed this weekend, all whilst starting a new teaching job! I posted about being so close to finishing the reorganisation of my modelling space - yet still haven't managed that!

Good luck with your move next week, and settling into your next academic adventure!

Steve S

* Reading my threads, I think my modelling actually consists of back to back stalls!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...