Hornby Railroad A1

Tomathee

Just wanted to check there was nothing remedial to try before I order a replacement motor.

Above loco died the other day (R3086), around 16 months old. Checked it wasn't controller/track related and took apart to look for loose wires. Couldn't find anything wrong although nudging the smooth thing at the back (excuse terminology, flywheel?) did get it running as normal, until I stopped it, where it wouldn't move off again (here is the link to the part https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6331-tornado-railroad-a1-scotsman-motor-flywheel-assembly.ir). I was going to order the motor and a gear set in case that also needed replacing (also to avoid separate postage).

Thanks for any advice

That's a reasonable price for a new motor assembly considering most motors are only good for 10,000 actual hours running life. You could replace the brushes in the old one but at that price, why bother?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, looks straight forward to replace the motor, can only see two wires that need soldering. Don't know if I'd be up to opening it all up for brushes, and seems like hassle when a full replacement is a fair price, maybe something to have a go at on the side afterwards.

Thanks for the alternative suggestion, had the problem before where I couldn't find the named parts and with help alternatives were the only way forward. In this instance also a lot cheaper.

Will let you know how I get on 

Check out a seller on the 'bay, "bee_studio". He sells all kinds of motors that are a straight swap for the Hornby/Scalextric types. Very cheap and, the more you buy, the cheaper they get.