LSWR Push/Pull Coach on the Castleman's Corkscrew

I am currently building and researching the Castleman's Corkscrew as I am build an N-Gauge layouts of the Holmsley Station Area (the old station house is now a nice tea rooms on the original site). 

What I am trying to identify is the coaches that were used for the M7 Push/Pull.  I have a selection of coach set numbers 383, 385, 604, 608, 611, 612 and 662.

What I now need to clarify is if the Port d'Etropal 3D Printed versions are suitable and if they are what bogies and undercarriage would be suitable. If they are not suitable any other options that can be suggested would be helpful.

I have added some pictures to help: 

Holmsley 1.jpg

Holmsley 19.jpg

Holmsley 20.jpg

Holmsley 22.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos, that last one is a new one to me so thanks for sharing it. Here you go on the coach details.

383, Ironclad   BTK-BCK 3211 6562 

385, Again an Ironclad set BTK-BCK 3213 6564 - 

604, 1925 built Maunsell BC-SO 6676 1360

608, as above is a Maunsell set BC-SO 6689 1330

611, as above is a Maunsell set  BC-SO6683 1356

612 ditto BC-SO 6688 1347

662 is a South Eastern and Chatham set formed in 1950 comprising BT-C 3546 5503

Hope that helps. I do not model in N so do not know about suitable bogies etc, but am sure someone will be able to help on that part.

best wishes

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Set 31 is another possibility, formed originally with two ex-LSWR non-corridor P-P conversions, Diagrams 235 and 286, but in 1951 the Dia 235 vehicle was replaced by an ex-SECR driving trailer.  The ex-LSWR coaches are available from the @rue_d_etropal Recreation21 website, as well as the Maunsell pair used in the 600-612 sets. For the latter, I might suggest using the chassis from (damaged?) Farish Maunsells, but I don't know what could go under the Set 31 coaches.

It might be worth exploring the Worsley Works etching range.  They don't actually show much for N scale (1:148) but have a large range in 2mm (1:152) and 4mm and it would be worth talking to its proprietor, Allen Doherty, as he seems very willing to make his designs available in various scales.  He lists etchings (generally sides, floors and ends only - no detailing bits) for the ex-LSWR Ironclad conversions, the Maunsell pair and the ex-SECR set, which was also flush sided, as well as (in 4mm) the ex-LSWR vehicles that formed Set 31.  In my limited experience, I am not convinced that 3D printing is quite up to producing smooth sided long vehicles, without a lot of effort, so I personally would follow the etched brass route, using the Farish RTR models as donor vehicles, adding the sides and ends, their Maunsells for the SR pairs, and their SECR coaches for the SECR set. The Maunsell body would work fairly well with the Ironclads, although a bit of trimming would be required and the result wouldn't be 100%  accurate.  A minor problem with the etches is the way the SR and LSWR Ironclad coaches set in for the brake section, and, for the Maunsell driver, I would be tempted to carve a moulded Brake Compo model, leaving the moulded set in situ, and grafting slightly shortened brass sides either side of the set. Given that the compartment section of the driving trailer was hardly altered (the lavatory window was plated over) it would be possible to leave that section in place, and only graft in the brake end, where the ducket was removed and a side window added for the driver.

• RMweb Gold

Further to Duncan's listing of vehicles, and as we don't know an intended era, it is worth noting that, of the Maunsell sets, BCs were from the 1935 order, while the SOs were 1933-built. The sets listed all entered service during 1960, and were all withdrawn by 1964 - if that matters. 

Nick & Ian thanks for the replies all helpful.

I am modelling the era from 1939 to the closure in 1964 so that helps.

I had already found the @rue_d_etropaland they look very promising so order a set to have a look at.

Stay Safe guys and thanks. Lookout for Holmsley on the exhibition circuit post Jan 2023

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyw5460 said:

Nick & Ian thanks for the replies all helpful.

I am modelling the era from 1939 to the closure in 1964 so that helps.

I had already found the @rue_d_etropaland they look very promising so order a set to have a look at.

Stay Safe guys and thanks. Lookout for Holmsley on the exhibition circuit post Jan 2023

Tony

Tony, you have reminded me to make your DVD!  Bill