Probably many opinions :)

Was Ashburton well known by railway enthusiasts before C.J.Freezer's suggestion for a layout ? Has anyone modelled Ashburton in Broad Gauge days ?

Perthshire - Aberfeldy has a lot of modelling potential (any layouts?) yet Methven also in Perthshire was attractive.

Particularly lesser known termini.

Also which is the most attractive terminus ?

Edited by Piston
Ashburton clarification

Marylebone is nice. It has a lovely atmosphere, at least on the infrequent occasions that I've been there.

It was gone decades before I was born, but Bath Green Park looks like a wonderfully atmospheric place.

And Swanage has some magic about it on a sunny day.

• Like 2
  • RMweb Gold

Are we talking favourite for a model, or favourite in real life?

Difficult too, to compare between small rural termini and the big city stations.

For location, I think that it would be Kyle of Lochalsh with Penzance close behind.

• Like 1

Different strokes....  (different eras and scale, plus are they as recalled or imagined from folklore?)

The Ends of the Earth - Holyhead, Penzance, Thurso, Aberystwyth etc...

Chocolate Box - Ashburton, Aberfeldy, Killin

Cruelly Terminated - Stratford upon Avon, Matlock, Bere Alston, St Andrews

Reimagined in Preservation - Minehead, Swanage, Dartmouth, Bridgnorth

Sadly missed (Beeching closures that shouldn't've happened) - Ilfracombe, Bude, Ballachuilish 

Modern minimalists - Redditch, Morecambe, Hadfield

Rotting grandeur - Birmingham Snow Hill, Wolverhampton Low Level ...

• Like 8

Has to be Liverpool St for me, at least before it was upgraded. Filled with grime and fumes, noisy and busy, loved every trip there when I was a kid. My first introduction to the world of Railways. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Has to be Liverpool St for me, at least before it was upgraded. Filled with grime and fumes, noisy and busy, loved every trip there when I was a kid. My first introduction to the world of Railways. 

Totally agree. Sadly very few memories of old (better) St though :(

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Rotting grandeur - Birmingham Snow Hill, Wolverhampton Low Level ...

Are/were these terminals?

A vote for Wemyss Bay. Not as busy as it once was, but still a beautiful building.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-wemyss-bay-railway-station-inside-view-51730885.html

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Liskeard by a long way, in the Railway sense - Its not ever gonna win cute n pretty awards!

Of course, I mean the terminus of the Looe line, not the stuff on the mainline ;)

St Ives, just for its location. Forget modelling it now if you want any form of operational interest. 

Penzance is rather nice as well. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
2 minutes ago, Kris said:

St Ives, just for its location. Forget modelling it now if you want any form of operational interest. 

Penzance is rather nice as well. 

I had to work down at St Ives once for a two week stint in July, just before the school hols started....

It was just too much for me to have to look at that view all day everyday :D

• Like 3

Liverpool St for me as well in the fifties steam B17,s Brits,  and the lovely pilot locos in GER colours the staff ignored us spotters especialy down by the loco servicing point.I even enjoyed a trip on a swinger electric to Stratford for spotting session.

• Like 3

Newquay when it was a proper station on a summer Saturday. Westerns, Warships and a very tight single track branch line. Its great that the branch survives but a shame it is now nothing more than a very long siding.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 3
  • RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My top 3;

Pembroke Dock.

Clayton West.

Bradford Forster Square.

Mike.

Clayton West seems a bit left-field.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Clayton West seems a bit left-field.

Even in later days it still had the coal traffic from Skelmanthorpe and Park Mill, and on my visits always seemed a bit "interesting" with it's single platform and compact track plan, although by that time it was a single line.

Mike.

• Agree 1

Port Patrick, Moffat, Scottish minimalist.

Grangemouth, also minimalist but part of very extensive docks layout.

Glasgow Central, probably the best looking large terminus in the country.

Edited by Caley739
  • Agree 1

How about three termini that are the end of the line for TOC services  but continue as links to preserved lines who also have termini, either the the same station or further on: Sheringham, Alton and East Grinstead.

11 hours ago, pH said:

Are/were these terminals?

Yes, between 1967 and '72, after closure of the Didcot - Chester line as a through route to Birkenhead - proper dereliction and decay, Class 121 bubble cars and Paytrain guards.

Kings Lynn in blue diesel days.

Small site that hosted main line locos, tiny engine shed with 03 shunters, yard next to the station.

• Like 4

The correct answer of course is Paddington, but other lesser mortals are allowed :biggrin_mini2:.

Fairford, Tetbury, Cirencester, Kingswear, Bodmin General, Abingdon and Uxbridge Vine Street all get my vote, all of which have (or had) a certain atmosphere about them.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

Waterloo, as a kid I enjoyed spending many hours 'spotting there, watching trains leave for Bournemouth wishing I was on them, then 20 years after my last 'spotting visit(1966) there, I was living in Bournemouth - dream realized.:sungum::sungum::sungum::sungum::sungum::sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1